Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Did anyone see this?

Options
  • 05-04-2007 2:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 40

Okay, very strange...

Tuesday last, around 22:30 in Dublin, I was looking up at the sky as you do... very clear night, lots of stars blah blah.

Then I see this bright dot (Bout the size of a regular star but not quite as bright...) moving slowly northwards. Obviously a satellite I thought... but... then it stopped and moved at a right angle to the east VERY Quickly and then just vanished approx. 3 seconds after it changed direction... :eek:

Did anyone else see this?
    Can anyone explain what I saw?

It freaked me out I can tell ya. :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭redman

Maybe the Aurora aircraft?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

I didn't see that one, but I did see something similar happen once. You don't expect to see satellites take a turn like that, but it seems to happen. It would be interesting to know what exactly it was that we saw.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭Steve_o

Maybe something as simple as light refraction might cause it to appear to turn.....then again i could be way off....

It would appear that what we both saw was a definite turn, not just a lighting effect, but we can never be sure. The one I was like a 90° turn, if I remember right.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭conZ

On the Weather, they said 'there's gonna be a shooting star in the sky for about 3 or 4 minutes at about 8.20 or so' so we went out to a lake to watch the spectacle.

Looked like a satellite, but once it got to above the horizon it dissappeared.

I didn't hear the Weather myself, mates aul lad did, so I don't exactly know whether it said 'shooting star' or not.

But I saw it, you're not alone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭Duff

It was the light from venus reflecting of some swamp gas..on a more serious note, I have seen this a few times before. Once I seen what I thought was a satilite moving through the sky, it was as bright as a star. Next of all it seperated into two differnt dots of light and shot off!

There is a possibility that that would have been the Space Shuttle meeting up with the ISS (International Space Station). It is possible to see them docking or separating, but it would only look like to spots of light. I doubt it is what you saw, but that can be seen on rare occasions.

redman wrote:
    Maybe the Aurora aircraft?

I thought there was no conclusive evidence to confrim the existence of Aurora? I also heard that the Aurora project lost governtment funding due to the devlopment of high-tech unmanned ariel vehicles that could do the same job as Aurora only without the risk of casualties.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭redman

SaxoDuff wrote:
    I thought there was no conclusive evidence to confrim the existence of Aurora? I also heard that the Aurora project lost governtment funding due to the devlopment of high-tech unmanned ariel vehicles that could do the same job as Aurora only without the risk of casualties.

;)

...or maybe not..?:D

• Advertisement
Advertisement