Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Summons for bicycle offence...???!

Options
  • 05-04-2007 2:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,721 ✭✭✭

A friend of mine went through a red light on her bicycle the other day and was spotted by a bored Garda who gave her a load of verbal, stuf like "do you realise how dangerous that was??? Do you???"

She replied a bit too sarcastically for his liking so he issued her with a summons!! :eek:

What's the story with that? Will she definately have to go to court? What's the fine? Is it a fine??

Any info appreciated!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

Fair play to him. Hope she gets the book thrown at her. He's doing her a favour, if she keeps breaking lights then at some stage he'll be hit by something a lot bigger than her and end up taking up permanent residency in one of our fine cemeteries.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Rules of the road still apply to cyclists!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭SuperSean11

He cudda just been windin her up because she was cheeky

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I doubt he issued a summons there and then. He probably stated the offence and indicated that she would be hearing from him, took her name address, etc. It will be a while before a Garda knocks on the door with a summons - provided he follows it through.

Did the Garda mention what offence she commited?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭Shiva

Is the OP a windup ?

Since when do cyclists not have to obey the rules of the road ?

I'd lay good money the cyclist would have a damn good rant about dangerous drivers if a motorcycle or car broke the lights. Its just a pity there's no cycling license for her to receive points. Stupid woman.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

crosstownk wrote:
    sudzs wrote:
    A friend of mine went through a red light on her bicycle the other day

If the green man was showing at a crossroads she would still have right to continue, otherwise...she'll be seein the nice Garda in court (I hope, breakin feckin red lights:mad: :mad: :mad: )

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

crosstownk wrote:
    Failure to obey traffic signals probably :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Same rules apply to bikes. I hope she does get a fine.

My brother in law and his mate were once cautioned for breaking the 30mph speed limit in Chapelizod by 20mph on racing bikes.

They thought the Garda was taking the p!ss until he showed them the reading from his speed gun.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Did he actually give her something on the spot, or did he just tell her that she'd be going to court? To the best of my knowledge, a summons arrives some time after the offence.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Jo King

sudzs wrote:
    A friend of mine went through a red light on her bicycle the other day and was spotted by a bored Garda who gave her a load of verbal, stuf like "do you realise how dangerous that was??? Do you???"

She replied a bit too sarcastically for his liking so he issued her with a summons!! :eek:

What's the story with that? Will she definately have to go to court? What's the fine? Is it a fine??

Any info appreciated!

Pull the other leg. A garda cannot issue an on-the spot summons. He can issue an on the spot fine only. If he wants he can make a complaint and have a summons issued. This cannot happen at the scene of an incident.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,503 ✭✭✭daymobrew

jonny24ie wrote:
    Rules of the road still apply to cyclists!!
    I am a cyclist and I am delighted to read this thread. I frequently remind fellow cyclists that they are breaking the lights. I either get ignored or verbally abused in response.

Don't some countries (maybe Switzerland) have reg plates on their bikes. It would be a good idea to bring that in here and get all cyclists to sit a theory test before the cycle on the roads.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

KTRIC wrote:
    My brother in law and his mate were once cautioned for breaking the 30mph speed limit in Chapelizod by 20mph on racing bikes.

They thought the Garda was taking the p!ss until he showed them the reading from his speed gun.
    At least they got to see the reading!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

KTRIC wrote:
    Don't some countries (maybe Switzerland) have reg plates on their bikes. It would be a good idea to bring that in here and get all cyclists to sit a theory test before the cycle on the roads.

and make them get insurance as well. Absolute bloody nightmares on the road, they are..............

That Garda should get a medal, I hope the cyclist gets a hefty fine - I'm fed up with the 'one rule for us/another for them'..........

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭hermit

I read the OP's post with great pleasure. Its about time that a cyclist gets pulled up for breaking the law. I see cyclists breaking rules everyday of the week while I'm driving and while I am a pedestrian. I have seen two people almost knocked flying as they try to cross the roads (while the "green man" was flashing) as cyclists think that the rules of the road only apply to motor propelled vehicles.

In fact just before Christmasa I seen someone hit by a cyclist on the foot path (and it wasn't a designated cylce lane or anything like that). Thankfully the woman didn't seem seriously hurt. But I wonder what would happen to me if I decided to mount the foot path in my car and drive along it or break a red light for that matter.

Fantastic to see that some Gardai are willing to at least give cyclists a "talking to" for committing offences.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭C_Breeze

Eh , and why is this in the motors forum??

C_Breeze wrote:

To give us a chance to bítch about cyclists :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 159 ✭✭HJ Simpson

Just like Daymobrew I am a cyclist and am delighted the garda stopped her. I stop at light all the time. If I dont run red lights in the car why should I on the bike! I seen a guy break the lights at Harolds Cross while I stopped a motorcycle Garda came from the other side of the park and just continued on past the cyclist ignoring the fact that he just seen him break a red light:mad:

Shiva wrote:
    To give us a chance to bítch about cyclists :D

Spot on :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Yeah, they never miss an opportunity to bitch about us.

• Registered Users Posts: 766 ✭✭✭mkdon05

Yeah insurance is a great idea, and why dont we make everyone who J walks, do a theory test too.:rolleyes: If you obeyed all the rules of the road when cycling, it would be pointless cycling in the first place! Might as well drive into town and sit in the traffic like all the other muppets.

(I drive too, but not when its quicker to cycle)

Waits for the tirade

• Registered Users Posts: 45,766 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

mkdon05 wrote:
    Yeah insurance is a great idea, and why dont we make everyone who J walks, do a theory test too.:rolleyes: If you obeyed all the rules of the road when cycling, it would be pointless cycling in the first place! Might as well drive into town and sit in the traffic like all the other muppets.

(I drive too, but not when its quicker to cycle)

Waits for the tirade
    if i didn't speed when driving it would be pointles driving - i may as well sit in traffic....

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭olearydc

galwaytt wrote:
    and make them get insurance as well. Absolute bloody nightmares on the road, they are..............

That Garda should get a medal, I hope the cyclist gets a hefty fine - I'm fed up with the 'one rule for us/another for them'..........

I know where you coming from but........

I haven't ridden a bike for a long time, but do see what happens to them
    some car drivers ride too close to them
    turn in front of them
    if a bike does have a crash, its not the other car that gets smashed up

thats one reason I wont let my kids on bikes...the roads around here are not very bike friendly....
    I've see cars break lights and a lot bloody worse ... difference is that when a crash happens...there is a Lot more damage with a car,,,but yes, a lecture is needed if caught, but a summons...jesus

I do drive a car...and drive a motorbike....used to cycle a bike...and i think the bike is the most dangerous...and not just for going through lights

olearydc wrote:
    but yes, a lecture is needed if caught, but a summons...jesus

Well, to be fair...it sounds like thats all she would have gotten if she hadn't mouthed off to the Guard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Stormbringer

Happy days!!!!!

And slightly off topic but the most annoying thing is the cyclists out in groups training who ride 5/6 abreast( totally against the rules of the road)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,721 ✭✭✭sudzs

C_Breeze wrote:

Is there a cyclists forum?? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭Altreab

HJ Simpson wrote:
    Just like Daymobrew I am a cyclist and am delighted the garda stopped her. I stop at light all the time. If I dont run red lights in the car why should I on the bike! I seen a guy break the lights at Harolds Cross while I stopped a motorcycle Garda came from the other side of the park and just continued on past the cyclist ignoring the fact that he just seen him break a red light:mad:

Fair dues to the Guard. When she continues to break the redlight she WILL become a cropper ....then it will be the driver of the car/motorbike/bus/lorry that will be considered to be at fault. If shes "lucky" she will only suffer injuries .....if not her family and friends will be mourning at a graveside :( Then the driver that hit her will have the trauma of having injured/killed someone for the rest of their lives!
    ANYONE jumping redlights are acting recklessly IMHO

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Dunno what the story is here, but back in Germany, if you commit a traffic offence on your pushbike the points and/or ban for that offence are applied to your car licence (if you have a licence that is)

So no drink driving on the pushbike either :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭Tony Danza

What's with all these "fair play to the guard" comments? How would you like it if you got a summons for crossing the road when the man was red? Which obviously by reading the motors section on boards nobody here has ever done.

Advertisement