Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sheamus O'Shaunessy for WWE Raw & Smackdown in Milano

• 05-04-2007 3:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭

From the SOS offical forum: http://www.sosofficial.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=606

Annnnd i quote:
    Scouts for the WWE RAW & Smackdown have booked Irish wrestler Sheamus O’Shaunessy for the second time in less than six months and are shipping the big ginger fella to sunny Milan in Italy for their televised shows on the 16th & 17th of April in the Datchforum.

Last November The Irish Curse was recruited for WWE when they visited Manchester’s MEN arena in November. At the time SOS got to try-out for the global giants before the venue filled up with fans. Later that night the Irish heavyweight got to experience just what it was like to perform in front of 20,000 screaming fans when he tried to eject Triple H and Shawn Michaels (DX) from the ring... He got Pedigreed!

Six months on and colossal WWE machine is rolling back to Europe and they have called on Sheamus once again and even opened a file on the former Irish champion now based in London... The highly secretive WWE scouts haven’t revealed what role is on offer for Sheamus in Milan other than: “to wrestle if called upon”.

Sheamus is delighted with his second call-up in such a short time frame and insists that it’s a huge honour for any European wrestler to be considered for the WWE no matter what the role. He said: “the WWE is what got me interested in wrestling and getting signed to their professional ranks remains my No.1 priority. I am under no illusion that I have to pay-my-dues which means starting at the very bottom rung of the ladder.” He went on: “sometimes you feel that all the training, dieting, taking hard knocks and working hard in the smaller European promotions goes unnoticed, then the WWE call you up out of the blue... I just want to get in there and show them what I can do.”

For more information on Sheamus O’Shaunessy visit his MIT acclaimed Website: www.SOSOfficial.com or if you want to leave him a message visit his MySpace page: www.myspace.com/sosofficial

Go Sheamo, go sheamo...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,009 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Yes let's hope he gets signed by WWE soon!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭EdK

Let's not hes rubbish, got as much charisma as a postage stamp average wrestler and a cliche gimmick that would be exploited by WWE they'd probably tag him with Finlay and call them the Leprachaun Brothers or something

Rant Over

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

EdK wrote:
    hes rubbish, got as much charisma as a postage stamp average wrestler and a cliche gimmick

Since when has any of that stopped anyone being a sucess in the WWE? ;)

True

But its so unfair to give a decent wrestler eg Jimmy Yang a ridiculous gimmick then expect him to get over with it, then fire him when he fails to get over with an impossible gimmick. Makes no sense to me at all. They want people to fail?

The days of outrageous gimmicks getting over are over it's not the 80's

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,045 ✭✭✭Vince135792003

EdK wrote:
    True

But its so unfair to give a decent wrestler eg Jimmy Yang a ridiculous gimmick then expect him to get over with it, then fire him when he fails to get over with an impossible gimmick. Makes no sense to me at all. They want people to fail?

I'm not a big fan of his gimmick but I think he's pretty over and thats an accomplishment for the way the cruiserweights have been treated.

• Advertisement

Think of how good he would be without the redneck gimmick, he was excellent in ROH same with James Gibson who was ROH Champion I don't know why they go back.

EdK wrote:
    I don't know why they go back.

To make a good living.

Without the gimmick, he probably wouldn't be on WWE tv. For better or worse, thats the way it is.

The money is decent but I'd say alot of them are pretty miserable

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭irishhack

EdK wrote:
    Let's not hes rubbish, got as much charisma as a postage stamp average wrestler and a cliche gimmick that would be exploited by WWE they'd probably tag him with Finlay and call them the Leprachaun Brothers or something

Smark answer, sorry smart answer....... i like your Finlay Leprachaun brothers idea...... u think like Mr. McMahon......

But isn't every wrestler in the wwe just another cliche gimmick or do you really believe the Undertaker is actually dead? Or the Boogie Man goes and buys his morning papers with a face full of paint and a mouth full of maggots?

It's a show for kids. End of. It's just a pity there are not more European wrestlers in there, they probably aren't gimmicky enough or character based to stand out? The 80's were the hay-day of Wrestling when it was all about big over-the-top charcters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭Ph3n0m

irishhack wrote:
    Smark answer, sorry smart answer....... i like your Finlay Leprachaun brothers idea...... u think like Mr. McMahon......

But isn't every wrestler in the wwe just another cliche gimmick or do you really believe the Undertaker is actually dead? Or the Boogie Man goes and buys his morning papers with a face full of paint and a mouth full of maggots?

It's a show for kids. End of. It's just a pity there are not more European wrestlers in there, they probably aren't gimmicky enough or character based to stand out? The 80's were the hay-day of Wrestling when it was all about big over-the-top charcters.

And unfortunately that hay-day is gone - no one really believes in the Undertaker like they used too, Boogyman - well my opinion is a dull gimmick matched only by his equally dull in ring presence.

Nowadays people want a bit more reality then fantasy - I mean when HHH came out in his loincloth and crown, I fell of my sofa, I was laughing that hard at him.

Much as I give props to SOS being called again by the WWE - he is no different to the other guys that have been called upon in the other countries that WWE have visited and the different cities within America that they do a show in.

For me - he will have to do a lot more then be called up twice to get a WWE contract - especially since there are guys busting their asses in OVW, wrestling the WWE style for months on end - however to get called up twice in a short space of time is still impressive

• Advertisement

Ph3n0m wrote:
    For me - he will have to do a lot more then be called up twice to get a WWE contract - especially since there are guys busting their asses in OVW, wrestling the WWE style for months on end - however to get called up twice in a short space of time is still impressive

I think you're missing my point. There are very few europeans getting onto the wwe rosta coz they aren't up to the American standard of good wrestling combined with getting over with a character. They have the training ground to get up to that standard with the likes of OVW so they are light years ahead of Irish / UK wrestlers.

Also, SOS got booked for 2 Italian shows so he's not a local wrestler. Surely they could have got some guys from Italian promotions if that were the case?

Being smart a mark or a smart mark doesn't come into it, no the Undertaker gimmick isnt believable but he has gained respect and people are fans of his and follow him because of what he has done his professionalism and the fact he is pretty damn cool

Boogeyman etc is an example of the impossible gimmick I mentioned, Vince McMahon is loosing his mind he doesnt give A crap about wrestling or its fans, he treats them like a bunch of idiots that will obey his command. If he tells them to love John Cena they love him. He clearly hasn't learned his lesson that fans have the internet etc they are not stupid gullable or naieve anymore.

They will put over whoever they want you can no longer tell them how to act to a certain extent. The wrestler has to work harder themself to get over. Sometimes the fans will just take a liking to a wrestler and will cheer them eg Eric Young of TNA.

The times have moved on the promoter cannot control the fan as much anymore. The sooner Vince realises that the better

EdK wrote:
    Vince McMahon is loosing his mind he doesnt give A crap about wrestling or its fans,

Well there was Wrestlemania 9 days ago were they made 5.38 million dollars on the gate (a new company record). They'll probably do about 1.2 million pay per view buys worldwide as well for the event. Yep, Vince sure is loosing it alright.

I'm not saying everything is perfect in the WWE but I think you paint way to bleak a picture than the reality is.

Also Cena is probably their 4th biggest drawing good guy ever after The Rock, Austin and Hogan.

So for all of the power of the internet and the Cena hate (which I was apart of), something obviously worked.

Just because you are making money and drawing fans doesnt mean anything, WCW did that with a really bad product so they decided everything was grand and they kept going as they were the rest is history.

EdK wrote:
    Just because you are making money and drawing fans doesnt mean anything, WCW did that with a really bad product so they decided everything was grand and they kept going as they were the rest is history.

A few points:

-WCW never drew like that in terms of gate or ppv revenue. They never broke a million dollar gate. Doing a 5.38 million dollar gate means something.

- Comparing WCW 1999 to WWE right now is wrong. The WWE at least for the last 3 months (things could change) have booked their shows so great. The way they built their 3 top matches was really well done.

-Plus WWE in 2007 is trying to get over new stars unlike WCW in 1999 who kept going with the pat hand until it was too late. Umaga, Lashley and Kennedy all featured pretty heavily at Wrestlemania. People may disagree that they are the wrong guys to elevate but at least the WWE are trying.

Bottom line, the WWE have always shown an ability and willingness to create new stars. The WCW never really showed a willingness to do the same until it was too late.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

whos betting SOS will be at the house shows in the point this june? finlay was at one back in 2004 and he actually got a decent pop

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

krudler wrote:
    whos betting SOS will be at the house shows in the point this june? finlay was at one back in 2004 and he actually got a decent pop
    Hope so!:)

A few points:

-WCW never drew like that in terms of gate or ppv revenue. They never broke a million dollar gate. Doing a 5.38 million dollar gate means something.

- Comparing WCW 1999 to WWE right now is wrong. The WWE at least for the last 3 months (things could change) have booked their shows so great. The way they built their 3 top matches was really well done.

-Plus WWE in 2007 is trying to get over new stars unlike WCW in 1999 who kept going with the pat hand until it was too late. Umaga, Lashley and Kennedy all featured pretty heavily at Wrestlemania. People may disagree that they are the wrong guys to elevate but at least the WWE are trying.

Bottom line, the WWE have always shown an ability and willingness to create new stars. The WCW never really showed a willingness to do the same until it was too late.

To be honest without disrespect you sound like my brother, he can't see any wrong with the WWE, "they are trying", Out of all the people they put on tv they did ok with less than half a dozen. I dont know what goes on in those developmental areas DSW ad OVW but the people they bring up have very little experience and are in no way ready. The future is not bright for them the top stars are all aging and there doesnt look to be many that will be future stars, when was the last time WWE signed an established wrestler? (Monty Brown pshh)

They sign good and experienced wrestlers and let them languish in development until they are forgotten about.

And good help you if you worked for TNA or WCW they will sign you just to bury you as punishment, Kazarian, Swinger etc

WCW didnt use the stars they had properly but they still broke alot of todays stars whether they knew it or not Mysterio,Benoit,Jericho,Juve, Sting and alot more besides

To go back to my original point, I think your way off the mark saying Vince is loosing his mind for the reasons you gave.

krudler wrote:

Interesting concept but I doubt they would - people pay big money to see WWE stars at these shows not local boys. There's also the fear that a local lad would get over with the crowd and mess up the storyline.

Everyone keeps joking that they should team up SOS with Finlay like it's a ridiculous idea, but think about it... The mutual benefits for both of them would make it a winner all-round. Sheamus would get all of Fit's experience and Finlay would get some credibility to his Irish gimmick which is in real need of a revamp. Plus most people think he looks too old to be a superstar wrestler...

SOS & Finlay as a WWE tag team would be huge, right?

• Advertisement

His ego is all that matters nobody wants to see him in Main Events he books himself in all the big programmes and his match was the biggest billed match at Wrestlemania Why??? and all those horrible skits such as Big Dick were put on tv because he thought they were funny even though nobody else did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

SOS and finlay feuding with dave taylor and regal,that story just writes itself

Doesn't sound too bad till you bring in the leprauchauns and the shillealeaghs(Sp?)

EdK wrote:
    Doesn't sound too bad till you bring in the leprauchauns and the shillealeaghs(Sp?)

My point exactly. SOS doesnt have all that plastic paddy stuff going on, he looks like he just stepped off a feckin' Viking Ship! He looks like what most people think a Celtic warrior of old would be like. Finlays gimmick is terrible, he needs SOS to keep him in the WWE, otherwise it's gonna old very quick.

Easily the worst character in the WWE. Plus he looks like me Grand Da!

Its not really about SOS its about the WWE bringing him in and giving him the painful cliche gimmick, thats out of his control

EdK wrote:
    Its not really about SOS its about the WWE bringing him in and giving him the painful cliche gimmick, thats out of his control

True. They really do get it VERY wrong a lot of the time.

Plus the fact he'd be on tv in America with a thick Dublin accent people wouldn't get it i'd say

There are rumours of WWE splitting into international brands Mexico,Japan and Europe could be for that?

irishhack wrote:

It's a show for kids. .

That one line sums it up right there. I think SOS would fit in the WWE as its not wrestling in the WWE, its a circus. You have the big fat guy the dead guy the guy who walks on a tight rope. You have acrobats who do the same thing every week. Basically a spotfest.

WWE is not the big time anymore. They pay the most but to be taken seriously as a wrestler, then go to Japan or ROH. Take Fergal Devitt, he is Irelands number 1 wrestler. I dont like the style myself but its true.

I have nothing against SOS but is he more about stardom or wrestling ?? If its stardom then WWE is the place for him .

EdK wrote:
    Plus the fact he'd be on tv in America with a thick Dublin accent people wouldn't get it i'd say
    Has Finlay ever cut a decent wwe promo? Can't remember any.... Colin Farrell gets away with his put-on dublin accent in Hollywood movies (remember Bullseye?) so that's not gonna be an issue.
    EdK wrote:
    There are rumours of WWE splitting into international brands Mexico,Japan and Europe could be for that?

Heard this one before but nothing official has been issued, has it?

• Advertisement

No nothing official yet still a rumour

I've seen SOS' promos they aren't good with or without the accent

"i'm the Irish curse i'll hurt ya blah de blah"

EdK wrote:
    I've seen SOS' promos they aren't good with or without the accent

"i'm the Irish curse i'll hurt ya blah de blah"

Yeah but it's not like he's had any proper training! Smarks expect indy wrestlers to be at wwe standard which is naive. How do you expect these guys working with no proper TV in small venues with no ongoing story lines and very little money to develop character and costumes etc??

Lets face it, SOS and a few other indy guys are just trying to develop their characters with little or no financial backing. Yet they get schtick for not being as good as the big American superstars. Duh?

Support independent wrestlers trying to make a name for themselves off their own steam. When they get into the WWE and have the resources to improve and get up to the mark, then you can tar them with same brush...

How easy do you think it is EdK? C'mon, applaud the effort rather taking the easy default route.

irishhack wrote:
    He looks like what most people think a Celtic warrior of old would be like.!

maybe - if he had longer hair and no pasty white skin :)

irishhack wrote:
    Yeah but it's not like he's had any proper training! Smarks expect indy wrestlers to be at wwe standard which is naive. How do you expect these guys working with no proper TV in small venues with no ongoing story lines and very little money to develop character and costumes etc??

Lets face it, SOS and a few other indy guys are just trying to develop their characters with little or no financial backing. Yet they get schtick for not being as good as the big American superstars. Duh?

Support independent wrestlers trying to make a name for themselves off their own steam. When they get into the WWE and have the resources to improve and get up to the mark, then you can tar them with same brush...

How easy do you think it is EdK? C'mon, applaud the effort rather taking the easy default route.

I don't expect him to be perfect but you don't need training to be creative and not to stutter through every promo, Samoa Joe was almost a complete package before he ever made it big its about the man and the effort he puts in has little to do with promo training, scripts or resources

Some wrestlers are naturals and get noticed for their natural talent, some try to force it the ones who force it often struggle to make a living and eventually pursue another career

I dont even think SOS is a raw material I don't think he will ever be great even with all the bigtime resources

Nothing against the man he is doing his thing but I just dont feel he has it

He has a bit of presence but doesnt have the mic skills and he is only alright in the ring, Doesnt compare to the likes of Jody Fleisch, Jonny,Storm, Burchill etc who all came along the same type path

I hate talking about wrestling it always goes on forever there is never a finish to it

EdK wrote:
    Some wrestlers are naturals and get noticed for their natural talent, some try to force it the ones who force it often struggle to make a living and eventually pursue another career

I dont even think SOS is a raw material I don't think he will ever be great even with all the bigtime resources

Nothing against the man he is doing his thing but I just dont feel he has it

He has a bit of presence but doesnt have the mic skills and he is only alright in the ring, Doesnt compare to the likes of Jody Fleisch, Jonny,Storm, Burchill etc who all came along the same type path

I hate talking about wrestling it always goes on forever there is never a finish to it

I think you'll be proved very wrong on that one, some people are naturals, others have to work long and hard to make the grade. It's all about how bad you want it...... I remember seeing some early promos The Rock did and they were god awful. Id say if you dug up early camera work of most big time wrestlers you'll find the same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭raven136

SOS is not the problem although he has terrible gimmick and is a below average wrestler.
    Vince may not be "losing it" but by god wwe is gone to ****.Its all well and good having a guy eat worms,sum rednecks,fat guys and a terrible champ but the main audience for these type of wreslters is kids,what happens whe to become 15 and 16 and discover girls and dont want mom and dad to bring them to wwe.Then vince and his cronies are stuck looking up at a hardcore bunce of fans who put up with the destruction of what they love and are no longer interested....take away keneddy and the future of wwe looks dire.
    What self respecting adult or teenager wants to watch a main event featuring monty brown,lashley,khali,cena,orton.
    Edge,benoit,hbk,trips,jericho,rey,taker are all either getting old or have retired,they wont be here in 5-10 years time and wWe will not push or utilise decent guys from other promotions.(CM Punk anyone?)
    Hope vince invests the gate money well because,steph,ace,trips and shane are doing a great job destroying a legendary company.

Oh and all the training in the world wont make SOS better on the mike,step forward Chris Benoit.

Ph3n0m wrote:
    maybe - if he had longer hair and no pasty white skin :)

For Real? The Vikings come from Scandanavia where there is little or no sunlight for large parts of the year. They are hardly gonna have bronzed bodies. Really!

Sure how is SOS gonna get a tan? he's a big freckled redzer for jaysus sake! I expected a more informed comment from you Ph3n0m ;)

raven136 wrote:
    Oh and all the training in the world wont make SOS better on the mike,step forward Chris Benoit.

His bit on the Podge & Rodge show was hilarious, as was Georgie McFly's. I thought that was well executed by both guys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭Cactus Col

Fairplay to him if he gets picked up!

I certainly hope he does, and as long as wwe don't give him too silly a gimmick, I'm sure he'll do grand.

How much fun would it be for Finlay to be waiting for little bastard to come out from under the ring, only for SOS to come out, all dressed up in the same clothes as hornswoggle!

raven136 wrote:
    SOS is not the problem although he has terrible gimmick and is a below average wrestler.
    Vince may not be "losing it" but by god wwe is gone to ****.Its all well and good having a guy eat worms,sum rednecks,fat guys and a terrible champ but the main audience for these type of wreslters is kids,what happens whe to become 15 and 16 and discover girls and dont want mom and dad to bring them to wwe.Then vince and his cronies are stuck looking up at a hardcore bunce of fans who put up with the destruction of what they love and are no longer interested....take away keneddy and the future of wwe looks dire.
    What self respecting adult or teenager wants to watch a main event featuring monty brown,lashley,khali,cena,orton.
    Edge,benoit,hbk,trips,jericho,rey,taker are all either getting old or have retired,they wont be here in 5-10 years time and wWe will not push or utilise decent guys from other promotions.(CM Punk anyone?)
    Hope vince invests the gate money well because,steph,ace,trips and shane are doing a great job destroying a legendary company.

Well said, I think you get it

• Advertisement

irishhack wrote:
    I think you'll be proved very wrong on that one, some people are naturals, others have to work long and hard to make the grade. It's all about how bad you want it...... I remember seeing some early promos The Rock did and they were god awful. Id say if you dug up early camera work of most big time wrestlers you'll find the same.

The Rock obviously went away and improved himself didnt he so I dont see the point here, None of the Rocks promos are scripted he's got a natural charisma

irishhack wrote:
    For Real? The Vikings come from Scandanavia where there is little or no sunlight for large parts of the year. They are hardly gonna have bronzed bodies. Really!

Sure how is SOS gonna get a tan? he's a big freckled redzer for jaysus sake! I expected a more informed comment from you Ph3n0m ;)

yeah then he aint a Viking - more a sufferer of the dreaded disease "ginger"vitis :)

and anyway stop comparing him to a Viking - he is meant to be a Celtic warrior

EdK wrote:
    The Rock obviously went away and improved himself didnt he so I dont see the point here, None of the Rocks promos are scripted he's got a natural charisma

There's really no such thing as a natural in the world of showbusiness, i think you'll find the ones at the top are there because they work the hardest, whether they be an actor, singer, TV presenter, or wrestler.

I'd say if you asked 10 top wrestlers whether it was natural ability or hard work and dedication that got them to the top, they'd opt for the latter.

Edk, wake up dude. EVERYTHING IS SCRIPTED!

The Rocks promos arent scripted he might be told a few things he must mention but the rest is his own (his Umaga/Vince promo wasnt ), I know a fair old whack about wrestling even though I am starting to like it less and less

Ph3n0m wrote:
    and anyway stop comparing him to a Viking - he is meant to be a Celtic warrior

Aren't the Celts and Vikings of the same lineage? I kno the Gaels came from France and Spain.

Eitherway, you know what I mean. That whole medieval look, except with spandex, lots and lots of spandex ;)

irishhack wrote:
    Aren't the Celts and Vikings of the same lineage? I kno the Gaels came from France and Spain.

Eitherway, you know what I mean. That whole medieval look, except with spandex, lots and lots of spandex ;)

no loin cloths though - thats Triple H territory

irishhack wrote:
    There's really no such thing as a natural in the world of showbusiness, i think you'll find the ones at the top are there because they work the hardest, whether they be an actor, singer, TV presenter, or wrestler.

I'd say if you asked 10 top wrestlers whether it was natural ability or hard work and dedication that got them to the top, they'd opt for the latter.

Edk, wake up dude. EVERYTHING IS SCRIPTED!

Kinda contradicting yourself saying the likes of SOS cant get better because of his lack of resources yet its all about hard work?,

Its not about one or the other but a mixture of both

EdK wrote:
    Kinda contradicting yourself saying the likes of SOS cant get better because of his lack of resources yet its all about hard work?,

Its not about one or the other but a mixture of both

Didn't say that mate, I was merely pointing out that indie guys don't get the time on camera nor the proper TV training to be as good as the wwe guys. They don't have script writers nor rehersals either. So what's the point of saying they are sh1te when it's not fair to compare like-with-like.

My Point is: support indie wrestlers trying to make it, and if the unlikely happens (i.e. they make it to the big leagues), then evaluate them on that level. Otherwise it's just player hating for the sake of it.

I never got this supporting somebody just because they are Black,Irish, Indian,Catholic, Muslim or
    whatever!

I dont begrudge the man a thing ,fair dues if he makes the grade

Just expressing my free opinion that I don't think hes that talented

Im not hating either I've put forward valid reasons for my opinions not just I dont like him full stop

• Advertisement
Advertisement