Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sheamus O'Shaunessy for WWE Raw & Smackdown in Milano

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭irishhack

EdK wrote:
    I never got this supporting somebody just because they are Black,Irish, Indian,Catholic, Muslim or
    whatever!

I dont begrudge the man a thing ,fair dues if he makes the grade

Just expressing my free opinion that I don't think hes that talented

I totally agree with you, I'm just saying that it's not really fair to knock the guys breaking their balls trying to learn their trade with no infrastructure, resources or money. It's like comparing a karaoke singer to Elton John.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭EdK

Im not gonna cheer for St Pats when i'm a Cork City fan

EdK wrote:
    Im not gonna cheer for St Pats when i'm a Cork City fan

Yeah but would you cheer for St Pats if they were in the European Cup final playing Real Madrid?

EdK wrote:

What's your point here? I'm a little confused, he took the pedigree well didn't he?

Alittle over sensitive there is no point,I was posting the vid for those who wanted to see it but the embedded player didnt work

irishhack wrote:
    Yeah but would you cheer for St Pats if they were in the European Cup final playing Real Madrid?

Lets not get crazy here now haha

EdK wrote:
    Lets not get crazy here now haha

LOL, you have to be able to dream Ed!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭RebelRockChick

irishhack wrote:

:eek: :eek: ROTFLOL

• Advertisement

Ahh this conversation is going around in circles . The only thing i can say is SOS is the type of wrestler that the WWE would pick up, mainly due to the fact that he is a Generic white guy. This way they can mould his character.

All the training in the world wont put charisma on screen . Lack of resourses ?? thats a load of bull. The main point i was trying to make before , if he wants to be a decent wrestler he will go to Japan and improve there . But he has no plans to do that. He would rather go straight into WWe or OVW first.

Remember one thing , he hasnt been a wrestling fan all his life, all he knows is WWE and thats his target. I would put him along the lines of Batista Cena ultimate warrior. He wants to make money and to be honest with you he probably will. He will never be the best wrestler in the world and i myself would class him as a mid carder but i would also put Batista and Cena as mid carders too. The only reason they are champions is because they appeal to Kiddys .

SOS has what it takes to be in WWE , but i cant see him in ROH or in Japan or TNA.

The Viking image came to my mind also . Long red hair !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭Ph3n0m

I didnt see Raw last night - any sign of SOS on the show?

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Ph3n0m wrote:
    Not unless he has an alter ego of Santaro Morelli and speaks Italian.

Ph3n0m wrote:

There's no news on his site but isn't he still down there for Smackdown tonight? Check this new picture of SOS choking Joseph Fiennes freom his site. his hand looks like a bunch of fiffes bananas around joe's neck. sos-fiennes-escapist-09.jpg

all photos here: http://www.sosofficial.com/gallery2.shtml

irishhack, maybe you can answer this - why was 3 Crosses never released? All this hype about it two years ago as "Irish pulp fiction" - hell it hasnt even been released on video

I ask, only because SOS is in it - and a friend of mine is the one who caused the gash on his nose :)

Ph3n0m wrote:
    irishhack, maybe you can answer this - why was 3 Crosses never released?

No idea mate, your guess is as good as mine!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,602 ✭✭✭✭ShawnRaven

irishhack wrote:
    For Real? The Vikings come from Scandanavia where there is little or no sunlight for large parts of the year. They are hardly gonna have bronzed bodies. Really!

With all due respect dude, when was the last time a bloody viking gimmick took off? John Nord (The Viking, and then later The Berzerker) in 91 is one that springs to mind as far as WWE is concerned. And it didn't last, more to the point, fans didn't give a **** about it.

As far as SOS goes, i'll give him credit where it's due, WWE is known for being a tough market to get into, but it's obviously a tougher one to stay in. Cena is still there for one big reason (in my opinion) and thats merchandising. He made a mint for WWE on those spinner replica belts alone! In *that other promotion*, kids loved him, but anyone over the age of 14 tired of his matches quite easily (from what i saw over the course of the last three years), if he's gonna make it in WWE, he'll need a major character makeover.

Strictly my opinion of course :)
    VR!

With all due respect dude, when was the last time a bloody viking gimmick took off? if he's gonna make it in WWE, he'll need a major character makeover

Lads SOS doesn't have a viking gimmick i was just pointing out he's sooo white coz he's probably of celtic origins genetically. His gimmick is big white ginger Irish fella coz guess what? He's a big white ginger irish fella. Duh.

If Finlay can get away with shat plastic paddy crap then sheamus is a shoe in. Look at this and tell me it's not a really cool look:

sos-rqw-01.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

irishhack wrote:
    If Finlay can get away with shat plastic paddy crap then sheamus is a shoe in. Look at this and tell me it's not a really cool look:

I don't think it is a really cool look. In the event that he does get signed he's going to have to go to OVW or DSW and I bet any money one of the first things they tell him to do is to hit the sunbeds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 829 ✭✭✭justbringit89

ya i think he will be finley tag partner or something like that

irishhack wrote:
    Lads SOS doesn't have a viking gimmick i was just pointing out he's sooo white coz he's probably of celtic origins genetically. His gimmick is big white ginger Irish fella coz guess what? He's a big white ginger irish fella. Duh.

sos-rqw-01.jpg

To be honest there mate, he looks like the spawn of the boogeyman there. I won't agree that it's a cool look, although i will admit that it would have some short term novelty with the likes of WWE with their gimmicks. But it looks like it would serve the same purpose as Paul Burchill's pirate gimmick. It would get over for a while, and then after three weeks, end up main eventing heat and slowly becoming jobber to the stars.

VR!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 453 ✭✭irishcrazyhorse

Well are little ginger bastard has gotten a go in Italy.
    He was beated by Jimmy wang yang in the last dark match before the ECW taping by a moonsault.

Fair ****s to him, 24wrestling did mention that he wrestles with Irish whip wrestling though, heres the link

http://www.24wrestling.com/index.php?id=news/8427

the link contains all the ECW spoilers though so be warned

To be honest there mate, he looks like the spawn of the boogeyman there. I won't agree that it's a cool look, although i will admit that it would have some short term novelty with the likes of WWE with their gimmicks. But it looks like it would serve the same purpose as Paul Burchill's pirate gimmick. It would get over for a while, and then after three weeks, end up main eventing heat and slowly becoming jobber to the stars.

I think u are going to be proved very wrong there mate. The look is him so it's not a gimmick. He's just exploiting his natural celtic looks (ginger and white). If he was to try to tan-up (as you suggest) he wouldn't get noticed as there are too many bigger guys in the wwe with better tans. He's Irish, he's ginger, he's pale skinned, he's a celtic warrior. Plain as the nose.

If the wwe have any brains they will understand that Irishness sells in the USA, just look what Irish boxer John Duddy is doing in Madison Square Garden every few months.

His look has landed him movies, tv shows and a few wwe tryouts. not bad if you ask me, but ur gonna player hate no matter what. that's a smark's prerogative.

Well are little ginger bastard has gotten a go in Italy.
    He was beated by Jimmy wang yang in the last dark match before the ECW taping by a moonsault.

Ha ha fair play to him, legend... No doubt the smarks here will just throw their eyes up to heaven.

Well done SOS!

irishhack wrote:
    Ha ha fair play to him, legend... No doubt the smarks here will just throw their eyes up to heaven.

Well done SOS!

Well is this a good thing or a bad thing - only being used in a dark match? I have already seen the Smackdown spoilers and there is no mention of SOS

irishhack wrote:
    I think u are going to be proved very wrong there mate. The look is him so it's not a gimmick. He's just exploiting his natural celtic looks (ginger and white). If he was to try to tan-up (as you suggest) he wouldn't get noticed as there are too many bigger guys in the wwe with better tans. He's Irish, he's ginger, he's pale skinned, he's a celtic warrior. Plain as the nose.

If the wwe have any brains they will understand that Irishness sells in the USA, just look what Irish boxer John Duddy is doing in Madison Square Garden every few months.

His look has landed him movies, tv shows and a few wwe tryouts. not bad if you ask me, but ur gonna player hate no matter what. that's a smark's prerogative.

I love the way that the second someone disagrees with your point of view that you instantly call that person a smark, i'm not the first person you've said that to. As a fan or a representitive of him, that's not exactly professional. I wouldn't call myself a smark, i've been watching a lot of promotions for a number of years, but i wouldn't call myself an insider wannabe. Please bear this in mind for future posts and don't tar everyone with the same brush, everyone has opinions, it's life, deal with it.

As i also said in a previous post, i've given him props for what he's done so far, although he didn't do it on his own, he's not self trained, and realistically the only thing he has done to note to most people was get pedigreed last autumn, now it's still exposure and if it meant getting called back by WWE this past weekend, then more power to him.

As for player hating, as i said in my first post on this, it's strictly my opinion. And be careful who you quote, cos not once did i suggest a sunbed. You must have me confused with somebody else.

Comparing Boxing to Wrestling?! What era are you in exactly? They have two seperate fanbases, and Wrestling fanbases couldn't really care about the Irish in America, hence why Finlay is still midcard. The only nationality that gets heralded bigger than the US in wrestling in America today are the Canadians! I see where your coming from with the point and all, but it's the wrong industry. Boxing, Music or Acting, yes, but not pro wrestling.

VR!

Comparing Boxing to Wrestling?! What era are you in exactly? They have two seperate fanbases, and Wrestling fanbases couldn't really care about the Irish in America, hence why Finlay is still midcard. The only nationality that gets heralded bigger than the US in wrestling in America today are the Canadians! I see where your coming from with the point and all, but it's the wrong industry. Boxing, Music or Acting, yes, but not pro wrestling.

I am not comparing boxing to wrestling, i'm merely pointing out that there's a market there and if approached correctly, one of the most lucrative markets in the USA (Notre Dame, Riverdance, U2, House of Pain, Drop kick murphys, The Departed, Colin Feckin' Farrell, etc).

As i said before Finlay is a plastic Paddy and is recognised as such whereas SOS is instantly recognisable as Irish. If marketed correctly, could be huge. If he is sold out like Finlay with gimmicks he wont go far.

irishhack wrote:
    I am not comparing boxing to wrestling, i'm merely pointing out that there's a market there and if approached correctly, one of the most lucrative markets in the USA (Notre Dame, Riverdance, U2, House of Pain, Drop kick murphys, The Departed, Colin Feckin' Farrell, etc).

As i said before Finlay is a plastic Paddy and is recognised as such whereas SOS is instantly recognisable as Irish. If marketed correctly, could be huge. If he is sold out like Finlay with gimmicks he wont go far.

The difference between Finlay and SOS is experience. Finlay was having amazing matches with Regal in WCW in 95 while SOS was most likely aspiring.

And again, you list completely different markets. You dropped in Riverdance in there, apparently not knowing how big Irish Dancing is over there, it's ****ing HUGE. I know that from being at the Worlds in Ennis in 2005 and the amount of Americans, spectators AND participants, male and female that were there. Let's just say ANY Irish promotion would have killed to have that turnout for a show. Music is again, a complete different ball game than Wrestling.

Yes, if market correctly, SOS could be huge in WWE. So could Paul Burchill, CM Punk, and Frankie "haircut boy" Kazarian! But marketing isn't particularly WWE's strong point unless said worker is turning a serious profit. Why did Austin keep getting pushed in 97 despite being a shadow of his former self due to injury? He sold!

Could SOS do the same time? Time will tell, but he'll need a lot more experience under his belt, in ring and ESPECIALLY on the mic before that happens. His image won't do it alone.

VR!

The reason why Finlay is only and mid-carder(an upper in my opinion) is because of his age... the guy was atrainer for christ sake and put on the main roster and is respected by all.
    He has helped make lashley and batista look gold in the ring and I stand by thhat he will never pick up "Big": gold is because of his age, he is been used to put people over and train them.

SOS on the otherhand, mightnt be a Finlay or Benoit, but by working with the Finaly he could become great if given a try.

And yes,pro boxing is alot like wrestling, same fans and same idea, to say that americans dont care about irish wrestleres is BS, they just havent seen many and SOS could be the one to change that for the rest of them.

But hey, thats just my opinion

The reason why Finlay is only and mid-carder(an upper in my opinion) is because of his age... the guy was atrainer for christ sake and put on the main roster and is respected by all.
    He has helped make lashley and batista look gold in the ring and I stand by thhat he will never pick up "Big": gold is because of his age, he is been used to put people over and train them.

Bull****, Undertaker is no spring chicken at this stage, and neither was Hogan for his last run. And you missed my point anyway, i never said anything about a title shot, i merely stated he was a midcarder. And it's not because of his age. Flair could main event tomorrow, and hes older than Finlay. Fact of the matter is his character is as bland as **** and has a midget leprechaun to get him over, and thats exactly what he has done. Neglecting the fact that Finlay, at his age, is a hell of a lot better worker than most on the SD roster.
    SOS on the otherhand, mightnt be a Finlay or Benoit, but by working with the Finaly he could become great if given a try.

Finlay could teach him a lot, but has it occoured to you that he might need to be taught before going anywhere near Finlay? It's not his size or even in ring abilty that bottlenecks him, it his lack of charisma (to anyone over 13) or mic skills. He falls into the Lashley category in the sense of charisma black hole. But he has plenty of time to learn as he's only a few years in the business. Again, i'm no insider, but i've seen enough of his work in past promotions as well as his TWC promos to judge... so far.
    And yes,pro boxing is alot like wrestling, same fans and same idea, to say that americans dont care about irish wrestleres is BS, they just havent seen many and SOS could be the one to change that for the rest of them.

Yes he could, or else he could be turned into enhancement talent if the crowd don't give a ****. My point is characters is what keep a crowd interested these days in wrestling, not a gimmick which involves wearing a shamrock. Thats why the likes of HHH, Rock and Austin got over. Not cos of a sledgehammer an eyebrow or a 3:16 shirt! Wearing shamrocks and going out there looking like braveheart isn't gonna make the crowd give a ****. Case in point, Wrestlemania 21, Big Show v Akebono, two huge names in their respective industries. Did you watch, or did you take a piss, and why?
    But hey, thats just my opinion
    Yes it is, and just because i don't agree with it doesn't mean i don't respect it :)
    VR!

Bull****, Undertaker is no spring chicken at this stage, and neither was Hogan for his last run. And you missed my point anyway, i never said anything about a title shot, i merely stated he was a midcarder. And it's not because of his age. Flair could main event tomorrow, and hes older than Finlay. Fact of the matter is his character is as bland as **** and has a midget leprechaun to get him over, and thats exactly what he has done. Neglecting the fact that Finlay, at his age, is a hell of a lot better worker than most on the SD roster.

But to the joe bloag wrestleing fan, Finlay was relatively unknown!
    Unlike your Hogans and Flairs who can go on name and cheap pops, funlay has to work. (yes, I know flair can still go in the ring)

Finlay could teach him a lot, but has it occoured to you that he might need to be taught before going anywhere near Finlay? It's not his size or even in ring abilty that bottlenecks him, it his lack of charisma (to anyone over 13) or mic skills. He falls into the Lashley category in the sense of charisma black hole. But he has plenty of time to learn as he's only a few years in the business. Again, i'm no insider, but i've seen enough of his work in past promotions as well as his TWC promos to judge... so far.

His TWC promos are shocking ill admit, but i still feel that if he watches braveheart a few more times hell be fine ;)

Yes he could, or else he could be turned into enhancement talent if the crowd don't give a ****. My point is characters is what keep a crowd interested these days in wrestling, not a gimmick which involves wearing a shamrock. Thats why the likes of HHH, Rock and Austin got over. Not cos of a sledgehammer an eyebrow or a 3:16 shirt! Wearing shamrocks and going out there looking like braveheart isn't gonna make the crowd give a ****. Case in point, Wrestlemania 21, Big Show v Akebono, two huge names in their respective industries. Did you watch, or did you take a piss, and why?

Yeah, but even with your Rocks and HHH's, they all had gimmicks starting off, its a way of fans recogniseing you at the beginning while you grow into your character

Yes it is, and just because i don't agree with it doesn't mean i don't respect it :)
    VR!

Nicely put

• Advertisement

Yeah, but even with your Rocks and HHH's, they all had gimmicks starting off, its a way of fans recogniseing you at the beginning while you grow into your character

But you have to admit that Austin never made it as the "Ringmaster" - sure he got recognised, but it was a complete character turn around that finally got people to sit up and notice.

As for HHH - a snooty Connecticut rich guy - again he got recognised, but the gimmick was dropped and he became HHH instead of Hunter Hearst Helmsley

And finally the Rock - the clean cut pretty boy, again recognised, but nowhere near the character that actually got him over with the fans

Recognition is one thing - getting over is completely different

Ph3n0m wrote:
    But you have to admit that Austin never made it as the "Ringmaster" - sure he got recognised, but it was a complete character turn around that finally got people to sit up and notice.

For Austin it was a mixed bag. Ok nobody this side of the pond really knew who he was but in the US he and Pillman had made names for themselves already with WCW. You might find rec.sport.pro-wrestling archives with fans in outrage or head in hands with WWE not using him properly considering he had practically every belt in WCW except for the big one. So the ringmaster gimmick was the ultimate slap in the face not only to the fans, but to Austin himself.

VR!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

I've got to admit that on one hand, I find it kinda funny that SOS is getting WWE try-outs. Bryan Danielson, probably the best wrestler in the world, was given a load of try-outs a few years ago, but WWE wouldn't offer him a contract until he got a tan. Maybe they've changed their tune!

Personally, I don't consider SOS to be a good wrestler. I've seen him plenty of times and he's never done it for me. Sure, fair play to the guy for getting a look in, if that's what he's aiming for then he's doing something right. That's something to congratulate him on. But I can't say that I want to see him on WWE tv, unless he improves

Yeha,but again, there first gimmick mightnt of turned them into stars but they had to start somewhere!
    Do you think if HHH started off as a badass assasin he would of been as over off the mark? NO
    Do you think if austin was flippin the bird off the mark he would of been as over? NO
    You have to pay your dues as well

Yeha,but again, there first gimmick mightnt of turned them into stars but they had to start somewhere!
    Do you think if HHH started off as a badass assasin he would of been as over off the mark? NO
    Do you think if austin was flippin the bird off the mark he would of been as over? NO
    You have to pay your dues as well

But HHH and Austin had paid their dues - HHH had wrestled in WCW for some time and Austin had a long and somewhat substantial career in WCW and then in ECW

HHH was still pretty much a rookie, he had one PPV match on WCW before going to WWE in 95. But he spent a lot of his first couple of years in WWE paying his dues on worldwide television no less.

With Austin, he had definitely paid his dues, as stated earlier in this thread. He held every title except for the big one, and that was down to Dusty Rhodes' screwy booking in 93. But If you want a classic example of Austin's part of paying dues, find Wrestlewar 92 for the wargames match where Austin bleeds like a bastard less than 10 minutes into the match.

So comparing SOS to HHH and Austin starting off is somewhat silly to be honest.

VR!

So comparing SOS to HHH and Austin starting off is somewhat silly to be honest.

He took a pedigree of HHH in RAW 6 months ago, he got a Moonsault off Jimmy Wang 2 nights ago on Smackdown, and he's booked for another wwe dark match in London next week where he will no doubt be at the brunt of another wwe wrestler's Finisher...

SOS not paying his dues? Given that he's based in Europe and the wwe isn't, he is doing OK IMO.....

Yeah he is, but the RAW 6 months ago wasn't a match, he wasn't even announced as him, he played the role of a security guy. So don't even go there. Was it publicity, it sure was. Will it be remembered by anyone outside of Ireland? Probably not!

All i am saying is that he has a long way to go, thats all.
    VR!

All i am saying is that he has a long way to go, thats all.

AGREED :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement