Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland 'second last on broadband'

Options
  • 05-04-2007 4:07pm
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭

From rte.ie

A new report on broadband penetration puts Ireland 14th of 15 EU countries, not including the 10 new members who joined in 2004.

Denmark is top fo the league with 30% penetration, while Greece is bottom with 2%%. Ireland's penetration rate was 8%.

The report, from the European Competitive Telecommunications Association, shows overall penetration in the first quarter of this year at 14%, with the number of lines increasing by 5.5 million or 9%, in the EU. The number of lines was up 9% over the previous quarter.

AdvertisementThe ECTA, which represents rival companies to former State-owned incumbents such as Eircom and BT, said the gap between the best and worst performers was growing.

Telecoms lobby group Ireland Offline that although Ireland's growth rate for the last quarter was 19%, penetration was the key indicator and Ireland looked as if it would 'lose the broadband battle'.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

We ALWAYS ALWAYS beat Greece and come in 14th, its been like that since we launched DSL in 2002 and Greece in 2003 . We never overtook anybody either. New entrants such as Estonia and Slovenia are way ahead of us and the Czechs and Hungarians are close or maybe ahead now. We are 20th of 25 or so.

The Greeks , in fairness to them , do not call themsleves the "E-Hub of Europe (remember that from Mary Harney for years) . We pretended otherwise despite the dismal reality out there.

A developed country , for example , looked like this a year ago

BBAbbus06080102.GIF

Nor is it about population density either , Iceland was way ahead ( 4 times) of us a year back with 3 people per km squared as against our 58 per km squared .

Norway and Sweden and Finland will sort their rural areas out with BB where the sun don't shine, above the Artic circle. Ireland is simply a complete disgrace , nothing more and nothing less and no BS excuses from you Dempsey either :(

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Dellas

Sponge Bob wrote:
    We ALWAYS ALWAYS beat Greece and come in 14th, its been like that since we launched DSL in 2002 and Greece in 2003 . We never overtook anybody either. New entrants such as Estonia and Slovenia are way ahead of us and the Czechs and Hungarians are close or maybe ahead now. We are 20th of 25 or so.

The Greeks , in fairness to them , do not call themsleves the "E-Hub of Europe (remember that from Mary Harney for years) . We pretended otherwise despite the dismal reality out there.

A developed country , for example , looked like this a year ago

BBAbbus06080102.GIF

Nor is it about population density either , Iceland was way ahead ( 4 times) of us a year back with 3 people per km squared as against our 58 per km squared .

Norway and Sweden and Finland will sort their rural areas out with BB where the sun don't shine, above the Artic circle. Ireland is simply a complete disgrace , nothing more and nothing less and no BS excuses from you Dempsey either :(

Well as a Greek the situation is totally different in Greece. Most Greeks do not want broadband, its just not a priority. I keep on at my family to get it but they just wouldnt use it. The lines are there. Also alot of business people choose Vodafone Data cards and this is very popular and there is 3G coverage in most of Greece including many far off islands. The difference between Ireland and Greece is that people are crying out for BB in Ireland. So basically Ireland are bottom and it is very bad considering the economy and small land mass that they have to cover.

I am waiting 3 years for Eircom to bring BB to my area here .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭Dean820

I'm not a technical expect here but why can't Ireland just get Broadband Nationwide? What is stopping them?

I have been waiting years here and still no Broadband.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

basically eircom own circa 95% of the copper lines in the ground, and it's of piss poor quality and eircom still want to promote ISDN as a new technology whereas it's older than myself(20). since they own so much of the copper lines there's no competition in the market so they can milk every customer for as long as they possibly can.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

There has been not enough investment in the lines since privatisation to maintain them at previous condition, also "pair gains" which result in a line only doing 19k dialup and prevent it doing ISDN or DSL have been added.

The DSL upgrades that have been done since privatisation have not used technology to best extent. There has been no innovative thinking about how to serve all the lines further than 5km with DSL.

Basically there has been line rental rises and almost asset stripping with each takeover since privatisation.

The Government / Regulator has not created and enforced true flat rate dialup (which would make it more attractive to provide DSL for the Telco, and benefit consumer). No sensible Universal Fax/Modem minimum speed on lines set or enforced which would mean all lines having pair gains removed and virtually all lines less than 5 or 6km would then be able to pass for DSL. Many lines within the 5km fail.

The Government is more responsible for this due to tardyness in setting the kind of targets EU wants, setting them in a fudged manner that breaks the spirit of the EU directive and then does not ensure Comreg enforces them anyway.

eircom don't really want you to get ISDN either. That involves taking out pairgains, adding exchange equipment and repairing lines. I'm 9km from Limerick City centre and on local digital exchange 800m of wire away and I can't get ISDN.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Heidy

Website Location Which Country Has The Least Restrictive Censorship?

I want to put to put up a Website in a country which has the least restrictive Censorship its a discussion forum website by the way.

By censorship I mean Libel and Slander Laws.?

Heidy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Heidy

Building Your Own Website Without Html For Newbies?

I want to find a website that is user friendly for Newbies and does not require Html.

Heidy

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

Heidy wrote:
    Building Your Own Website Without Html For Newbies?

I want to find a website that is user friendly for Newbies and does not require Html.

Heidy
    Um, I don't want to sound rude, but it would be far better if you started your own thread in the correct forum to find that out, rather than drag this one completely off topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

All websites use HTML, otherwise it isn't a web site. What you want is a WhatYouSeeisWhatYouGet Web Page Editor (NOT Dreamwever or Frontpage).

Oh and no address and a concrete bunker for when folks come after you. It may be where you live, not just the web server location.

Anayways there is a different forum for this stuff.

Advertisement