Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tips for French oral

Options
  • 05-04-2007 5:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭

Anyone got any usefull tips or small fancy sentences to throw in...?? :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 jenj293

a very good one is:

C'est un bon moyen d'echapper la train-train de la vie quotidien.
    It means "it is a great way to escape the hub-bub of everyday life"

"la train-train", pronounced tran-tran, can be replaced with "monotonie" which means monotony(duh!)

you could be talking about sports, tv, reading, any of your hobbies but also when talking about drink, drugs or crime. just slip it in when your talking about ANYTHING that would serve as a means of escape from study, school or homework and the examiner will be VERY impressed!!:cool:

also saying "pas de tout" in a very conversational way is impressive too. it means not at all, when i was asked if i saved any of the money from my summer job i gave a little laugh and said, ha, pas de tout! then she laughed with me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭md99

Or 'Pas toujours'...

Throw in a subjunctive if you can manage, eg Il est possible que j'aille en vacances pendant l'ete...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Myriam

jenj293 wrote:
    a very good one is:

"la train-train", pronounced tran-tran, can be replaced with "monotonie" which means monotony(duh!)

you could be talking about sports, tv, reading, any of your hobbies but also when talking about drink, drugs or crime. just slip it in when your talking about ANYTHING that would serve as a means of escape from study, school or homework and the examiner will be VERY impressed!!:cool:

also saying "pas de tout" in a very conversational way is impressive too. it means not at all, when i was asked if i saved any of the money from my summer job i gave a little laugh and said, ha, pas de tout! then she laughed with me!

"C'est un bon moyen d'échapper AU TRAIN-TRAIN de la vie QUOTIDIENNE (féminin)

also... : "pas du tout" and not "pas de tout"

.... just for Help you !
    bye

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Myriam

cabla wrote:
    Anyone got any usefull tips or small fancy sentences to throw in...?? :D

Il you can translate your short question in french, I can help you, I think.
    Bye

Myriam wrote:
    Il you can translate your short question in french, I can help you, I think.
    Bye

Il voudrait connaitre des expressions utiles d'utiliser pendant son examen orale.

Hope I've no mistakes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭shazzyshaz

oh crap, theyre next wk aint they!!:(

week after.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭ZorbaTehZ

If you live in Galweh be able to answer questions on the contamination (nearly finished mine so ill post when I do)

shazzyshaz wrote:
    md99 mine is next friday!!

In that case, bonne chance.

md99 mine is next friday!!

• Advertisement

merci!

eh i dont think they will ask us about the contamination somehow...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Mon is in the 2nd week, i've written out decent paragraphes for each topic. What abstracts do you have to cover for the oral? Just Pollution and drugs?

Merci

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Citizen_Erased

People down the country do their french the second week back and their Irish the first week.

People up the country (like here in Donegal) do their french the first week and then irish next week after.

Or something like thats..

Don't forget to prepare how to shrug off political questions by saying your studying is too much for you to keep up with polotics etc...

i dont think they can randomly bring up topics like pollution, politics, drugs unless you mention it. thats what we've been told anyway.. like unless youre talking about drugs as a social problem in your village par exemple...

quotidien means daily/everyday

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭colm-ccfc84

jenj293 wrote:
    a very good one is:

Quotidien means quotidian (duh!) :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭colm-ccfc84

shazzyshaz wrote:
    quotidien means daily/everyday
    Quotidien means quotidian.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭nervous_twitch

I wouldnt go using elaborate phrases unless the rest of your French is on par.. the examiner will know what is simply being recycled, and tbh, I dont think they'll appreciate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Mackleton

Biggest tip I got is to watch the news the week before and prepare some form of an answer on ALL the major issues, Ie the nurse's strike is bound to come up. Also the upcoming election is a hot topic with all the promises being made and as we are all around 18 the right to vote for the first time and your preferences are likely.

Bear in mind that topical questions will only ever be asked if the student shows the ability or if the student allows the examiner to go there and I do mean "Allows" because the topics of you oral can almost always be dictated by yourself. If you take off on a spiel the minute he/she asks about pastimes then chances are you can eat up your time that way.

Also if you are worried specifically in Irish about being asked gnathcaite or conditional tenses, learn say three of each in phrases and slip them in to an answer before they can ask them, once they see you can coherently use them there is a strong chance they wont ask them directly.

But just think, in 2 weeks time we can have a certain degree of two exams in the bag and oral and aural are where people get their A grades, so bear that in mind and put in the effort.

Go n-eiri an tadh libh agus
    Bonne Chance!

Mackleton wrote:
    But just think, in 2 weeks time we can have a certain degree of two exams in the bag and oral and aural are where people get their A grades, so bear that in mind and put in the effort.

Go n-eiri an tadh libh agus
    Bonne Chance!

I know... Can't wait for them to be over!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Haven't a Clue

Mackleton wrote:
    Biggest tip I got is to watch the news the week before and prepare some form of an answer on ALL the major issues, Ie the nurse's strike is bound to come up. Also the upcoming election is a hot topic with all the promises being made and as we are all around 18 the right to vote for the first time and your preferences are likely.

Jesus H. Christ, they're gonna ask stuff like that? I doubt "je deteste les infermiéres" followed by an awkward silence is gonna do so. I'm so bollixed for the french oral. Bring on the scrudu beál...

shazzyshaz wrote:
    merci!

eh i dont think they will ask us about the contamination somehow...

Funneh since all my class and teacher, plus my french grinds teacher, plus my neighbour who is a french teacher said to prepare for it. I mean its not like it's even that difficult tbh - 5/6 extra words for chripes sake.

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭yurmothrintites

Ya be prepared for anything, but if you don't have an idea of what you are asked just say. Gabh mo leisceal, ach níl suim dá laghad agam sa (topic)

I can't remember how to say it in french:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Haven't a Clue

Je ne compris pas un question. Or something like that. It feckin better be cause by the looks of it, it's gonna be the most used phrase in my oral.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Citizen_Erased

If you do anything at all , at least give this a gander if you havent already
    http://skoool.ie/skoool/examcentre_sc.asp?id=443

• Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭Spank

Would it be totally unreasonable to go in and just be someone else? Like say you have 10 brothers and sisters and start naming them and saying what their favourite colours are etc etc?

Or how about that you live in a castle and describe all the rooms as 'cloch-y'? Or even that you work as a rockstar parttime, you could bring music in here etc.

I'm actually being serious, would certainly entertain the examiner more than. MY NAME IZ BOB I LIVE IN DUBLIN I AM 18 I LIKE READING POLITICS INTEREST MY BORING ARSE.

I know there is something wrong with this, just tell me....

Spank wrote:
    Would it be totally unreasonable to go in and just be someone else? Like say you have 10 brothers and sisters and start naming them and saying what their favourite colours are etc etc?

Or how about that you live in a castle and describe all the rooms as 'cloch-y'? Or even that you work as a rockstar parttime, you could bring music in here etc.

I'm actually being serious, would certainly entertain the examiner more than. MY NAME IZ BOB I LIVE IN DUBLIN I AM 18 I LIKE READING POLITICS INTEREST MY BORING ARSE.

I know there is something wrong with this, just tell me....

J'aime jouer avec mon baton?

ehhhhh zorba i happen to go to a grinds school ya eejit. it wont come up, end of story.

haha SPANK- thats pretty funni, i suppose ya cud yeah! like blab on about 10 bros and sis for 12 minutes! should work a treat... hmm mayb not!:)

• Advertisement

or here is ur asked about anything in the news jus say:

ca ne m'interesse pas!!

et tu es ''SORTED!''

Advertisement