Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tips for French oral

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭md99

Spank wrote:
    Would it be totally unreasonable to go in and just be someone else? Like say you have 10 brothers and sisters and start naming them and saying what their favourite colours are etc etc?

Or how about that you live in a castle and describe all the rooms as 'cloch-y'? Or even that you work as a rockstar parttime, you could bring music in here etc.

I'm actually being serious, would certainly entertain the examiner more than. MY NAME IZ BOB I LIVE IN DUBLIN I AM 18 I LIKE READING POLITICS INTEREST MY BORING ARSE.

I know there is something wrong with this, just tell me....

Yes, you can do this, common strategy in both orals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Citizen_Erased

Yeap you most certainly can , they couldn't give a rats what you say , it's all about how you say it - the efficiency of your language , grammar , coherence etc... You can say your father owns a unicorn farm and your brother was the man on the grassy that shot Kennedy for all they care .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭Your Man

Je ne compris pas un question. Or something like that. It feckin better be cause by the looks of it, it's gonna be the most used phrase in my oral.

je ne compris pas LE question

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Absolute Bender

No biting. Lots of lip movement. Be gentle. If you have braces, avoid oral!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Haven't a Clue

Your Man wrote:
    je ne compris pas LE question
    No, I was right. "I don't understand a question" will be accurate enough for me.

• Advertisement

hehe... another good skill if you are weak in areas is to learn the ability to swing the convo in your direction, may only work temporarily but at least it'll change the subject...

also, for weak students, use a DOCUMENT and be prepared to bluff a good few mins out of it. as a matter of fact, who's using a docu-...ahh screw it I'll poll it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

md99 wrote:
    also, for weak students, use a DOCUMENT and be prepared to bluff a good few mins out of it. as a matter of fact, who's using a docu-...ahh screw it I'll poll it.
    weak students??..i presume what you meant to say is"students who are smart enough to actually prepare something they can learn off and talk about,while stupid people who did not prepare one sit in glum silence while the examiner asks them about who they want to see win the french election and what both sarkozy and royale have to offer the people of france....."

my document is photos of saddam husseins execution...so i'll still be talking about an abstract topic that will impress the examiner,AND it will be on my terms...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

I really should prepare and learn something about my document.

It's a pic of the Meat Puppets and in the mock and Christmas orals it basically went something like:

"C'est mon groupe préféré. J'aime bien leur musique. C'est Curt Kirkwood, il joue de la guitare, c'est Cris Kirkwood, il joue de la basse et ce'st Derrik Bostrom, il est le batteur."

Unfortunately, after that I didn't have much to say and then she asked me:

"Pourquoi vous les aimez?"

"Emm... J'aime le bruit qu'ils font... c'est trés different... emm... yeah..."

heh, oh well I'd be happy with a C in the real oral anyway.

weak students??..i presume what you meant to say is"students who are smart enough to actually prepare something they can learn off and talk about,while stupid people who did not prepare one sit in glum silence while the examiner asks them about who they want to see win the french election and what both sarkozy and royale have to offer the people of france....."

No, I meant WEAK students, this is advice for weak students I was giving.... I didn't imply that only weak students used the document... In the case of a very strong student (nobody in particular) a document is completely unnecessary anyway, it gives a little security on going in but it's still not needed if you're good enough...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭Shox

would dey seriuosly consider asking about water contamination in Galway.... Oh GOD... ill just have to say im sorry ive no interest in drinking water because of my exams lol

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭shazzyshaz

Shox wrote:
    would dey seriuosly consider asking about water contamination in Galway.... Oh GOD... ill just have to say im sorry ive no interest in drinking water because of my exams lol

I dont even live anywhere near galway i just happen to go to school there, fk them if they bring it up!!THEY WONT dont worry.

Yeah shox jus say ca ne m'interesse pas! thats wot im doin haha

So Shazzy.You are Yeats girl?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭shazzyshaz

Yeats girl??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 481 ✭✭SoSueMe

You are generally not aksed about politics or news stories. My French teacher is an oral exminer and she is actually French and she knows what she is talking about.
    Just say "Ca ne m’intéresse pas" or "La politique ne m’intéresse pas Monsieur /Madame".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭ZorbaTehZ

shazzyshaz wrote:
    I dont even live anywhere near galway i just happen to go to school there. . .

Huh?

shazzyshaz wrote:
    Yeats girl??
    Someone who attends Yeats grind school... I take it you're not so?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭Fobia

Hopefully the examiner will be thinking the exact same things as I and I can somehow make the page of stuff I have learnt off (as in, learning off currently) last for 15 minutes. Otherwise it's going to be an awfully quiet oral..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭bright

SoSueMe wrote:
    You are generally not aksed about politics or news stories. My French teacher is an oral exminer and she is actually French and she knows what she is talking about.
    Just say "Ca ne m’intéresse pas" or "La politique ne m’intéresse pas Monsieur /Madame".

youi may have already snookered yourself by giving an opinion on somem other current affairs issue, so - je n'y ai pas d'opinion. Je ne sais pas assez du sujet pour former une opinion.

i thinks thats correct if so its handy.Although I do wish there was a nicer, idiomatic way of saying though...

Advertisement