Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The path is not a personal parking space

Options
  • 05-04-2007 6:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 28

To the few that insist on parking on the path along the spine road as you come out of Charlesland Park:

I would have thought that cars go quite fast on the spine road of Charlesland. Given this, is it appropriate that you put your vehicle on the place where one walks? I have seen a woman with a child in a buggy and a toddler on foot, go out onto the road to bypass your cars.

Yes there are times when we all get home and find parking a difficulty, however, we choose not to park on the path out of consideration to others, might you think of this in future?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,663 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

Hear, hear.

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭Angel

To the cabbages who keep parking in the spaces reserved for handicapped drivers at Superquinn, I sincerely hope that someday your wish comes true.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

And the muppet who insists on parking his BMW and/or Primera across the wheelchair ramp at the duplexes in the Wood. You too, are an inconsiderate oaf.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Hammiepeters

Good on you Angel

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭Wineman

Supposedly by next month there will be clampers called for those backward numbskulls who blight our quality of life by parking on the footpaths and in handicap spaces. I cant wait to see those little yellow clamps so I can laugh my effing head off when the owner is standing beside his/her car on their mobile ready to fork out 70 quid for being an asshole!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭markest

I disagree, the last thing I would wish on anyone are inconsiderate clampers. That is one reason I moved here, to get away from them. Once you are clamped whether parked legally or not you are trapped until they deign to release you.

Then dont park on the footpath .

Or in the disabled spaces. And if you do, I hope that you get what you deserve.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭markest

I have a conscience, therefore, I never park on footpaths or, in disabled spaces or, on corners etc. etc. but I have been clamped before when legally parked and if you have read a newspaper before so too have plenty of other people.
    What I am trying to say, before you bite my head off again is, clampers are in it for the money and will not take no for an answer and it will be a sorry state of affairs if we have to resort to using them.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

markest wrote:
    I have a conscience, therefore, I never park on footpaths or, in disabled spaces or, on corners etc. etc. but I have been clamped before when legally parked and if you have read a newspaper before so too have plenty of other people.
    What I am trying to say, before you bite my head off again is, clampers are in it for the money and will not take no for an answer and it will be a sorry state of affairs if we have to resort to using them.

Couldn't agree more. If someone parks on the curb, clamping them will mean the car is there for longer, defeating the purpose of trying to keep that space free.

• Advertisement

I am sure the residents associations are open to alternatives and clamping is a last resort but there are die hards out there that will continue to park on the kerb/disabled spaces unless it hurts their pockets.
    The management company has put notes on cars on my street asking residents not to block the pavement due to it being a danger to children and in the case of one of my neighbours they have sent two letters requesting the same, do you think he gives a damn...no. He now deliberately parks across the pavement just to spite the management company and his neighbours.
    I have also been clamped in the past for parking without paying, it cost me €70 and I was gutted as it was a genuine mistake, but I can tell you I wouldnt make the same mistake twice.

woah...hold your horses. Let's be nice guys. Ok if someone wants to park illegally, shouldn't we have a nice Garda man (or woman) do the honours and ticket these people?? Afterall, there is a whole division call the Traffic corps for this kind of thing, isn't there???

...if a capable person wants to park in the Charlesland shopping centre disabled car parking spaces with no appropriate sticker, do the guards sort it out?

...if a dope wants to park their car on the footpath and block the route for abled people, people with disabilities, children, rollerbladers and the like; do the guards sort it out?

...if you can't manage to park your white Ford Deutschland registered car properly when there's plenty of space around the green outside your house; are the guards gonna sort it out?

Ok, here's the real question...we may live in a 'managed' estate but surely we don't need clampers but just the odd ticket from a Garda to knock those eegits into place. So when is it appropriate to call the guards for these issues?...Anyone?

I have seen the Garda issueing tickets for the disabled spaces at Superquinn and I am confident that they would always do so if they were there at the right time. But lets be honest here. The Garda do not have the manpower to chase every incompetent driver/parker in Ireland. Lets face it all you need to drive a car in this country is an L plate ,a car and the money for insurance. The accompanied driver rule is hugely ignored and tens of thousands of people got full licences in an amnesty years ago without ever sitting a test. Scores of people a couple of weeks ago thought it was perfectly ok to drive at 120kph when you couldnt see a hand in front of your face.
    Sure clampers are not all perfect gentlemen. But who else is going to do a job like that? The hip pocket is the only realistic way of addressing this issue.
    The answer from every scumbag I've ever tackled about parking in the disabled spaces has been ''I was only going to be a few minutes''.
    No doubt the same folk bleat on about unfairness when they get clamped or booked. STUFF THEM.

But clamping them means the car is left longer in a disabled spot or on a path than it would have been in the first place.

I used to live opposite the Montessori in the Grove, and was constantly blocked in or out by ignorant people in their unnecessary SUVs dropping off or picking up their sprogs. While it would have been funny to watch, it would have been a much bigger pain in the hole if I had to wait for them to be unclamped.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 yellowdoor

Regarding the clampers, if they come around, (while it will be annoying at the start), people will stop parking absolutely all over the place if they know they are surely going to have to pay for it. If no action is taken I suspect the issue will get increasingly more torrid.

Again I tend to agree that the Gardai have limited resources, and in my opinion they could be better spent in areas other than policing the pathways of Charlesland.

I agree that the Garda resources are best used elsewhere, and yes the Garda traffic corps is best used not policing the pavements of Charlesland, but to be honest, if they did a once in a while ticketing of the area then people will start to 'think' more about what they are doing with their cars.

I put a note on one car a few months back where a guy kept parking his car across the footpath (head first towards his house)...He moved it the following day and parked it opposite a full white line and right on the junction. Dumb-ass! Anyway, it didn't last too long as his neighbour started parking his car head-on across the footpath and he went back to his old ways!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭Maisy

I may as well vent my particular spleen - I had reason to be out and about three times Easter Sunday, and, each time, when heading out onto the spine road, a car came off it far too fast into the Park, - I am one of those people with an L plate and have come to expect such goonery from so called "experienced/qualified drivers". I have been waiting fifteen months now for a test, and am on a second provisional. To be honest, I a consider myself a far safer driver than a lot of folks out there with a full licence - I can fill a book with incidents that allow me to say so.

I am also one of the few who takes it handy coming up the spine road, which paid off recently when a tot ran out in front of me from behind one of cars lamped on the side of said road. Totally unexpected, but then, isn't that what we are taught to be always ready for, the unexpected ?? - oh I'm learning alright folks

Finally, I too am of the opinion that parking is becoming more and more of a problem and I would have no issue with clamping, the "hit-em-where-it-hurts" approach is the only way forward.

I could be totally wrong but I dont think the Garda have any jurisdiction in terms of parking as this estate is private property. All the common areas, roads and pathways are owned by the residents as a whole and that is why we pay a management company for their upkeep, so the issue of parking is an internal one that needs to be solved by our own volition. The same applies to Superquinn carpark disabled spaces - private property.
    Dont quote me on this as I am not 100% sure, maybe someone else can run with this one...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

You're partially right Wineman. They may have no jurisdiction in relation to parking in the estates, but I doubt it, however they have jurisdiction in the Superquinn car park and I've seen them ticket cars parked in the disabled spaces there.

I thought the same Wineman, but "Bertie" set me right - The Superquin carpark is designated as a public car park, so they are able to ticket people in the disabled spots.

Not sure if you could be ticketed for parking on a corner etc anywhere else in the estate.

• Advertisement

So, if the Gardai have no jurisdiction over the estate as it is private, then it looks like a clamping company is the only way forward. Mind you, if we set-up our own internal clamping system then we could keep the money and put it towards something useful, but then again, I wouldn't like to be the clamper having to deal with these stupid people!

Just one other thing, like Eoin said, if someone parks outside you house and blocks you in, shouldn't you able to ring the Gards then?! Something like false imprisonment or something?!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,942 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

some sort of speed control on the spine road is also needed - ramps like the ones at the entrance to the estate perhaps?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

As it stands...

The gards can not issue tickets for illegally parked cars in charlesland as the land is privatly owned by the charlesland management company. As far as i know the wicklow county council will be taking over certain parts of charlesland (ie spine road etc.) and then cars illegally parked there are liable for road traffic offences.

We have huge problems in the crescent with people using our spaces from the final durking phase of charlesland and now we're looking into resolutions.

Also as you come around the corner to the crescent people are parking on the corner on both sides of the road.

It is Illegal to park within 5 Metres of a road junction or corner.
    It Is illegal to park within 15 metres of a pedestrian crossing or signal lights.

A list of parking offences and associated fines are available here: http://www.transport.ie/upload/general/7424-1.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭Sparks115

Well I have one for you all....... We have a family living in Charlesland grove that refuse to use their driveway!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:confused: They actually park their 2 cars on the road blocking other people from parking outside their house and it is driving us all mental. 2 of the neighbours approached the gentleman in a civilised discussion about it and he lost the head with them telling them to get lost etc!! Then my sister on Good Friday could hardly get her car out the way he was parked and she asked if he could kindly and nicely in future park one of his cars in the drive as it was causing her a problem every day getting her car out and why did they not want to use their driveway?. He started screaming at her who the hell did she think she was telling him what to do and to go away. So she told him he was a horrible horrible man and then his wife started on her so she told her she was horrible too. They are just nasty nasty older people who just lkie annoying everyone. Is there anyway of getting the residents asscociation to talk to these unreasonable people and get them to be a bit more cooperative in relation to parking!!! why the hell do they not want to use their drive way ??? I swear they are loolas!! anyone got any ideas on how to approach these people without having to knock their heads together to make them see sense?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,942 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

you'd be wasting your time Inch - some people are just jerks. Anyone is entitled to park on the road - can't think why they wouldn't use their driveway, but I don't think anyone could force them to either.

My personal gripe at the moment is houses with two cars (or a jeep and a trailer in one case) parking them back to back in the driveway with the second car entirely blocking the pavement. This is just obnoxious, it forces everyone including people with pushchairs, young kids on bikes etc onto the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭Sparks115

Well thats just it, because of their ignorence all the cars in the houses across from their house have to park their 2 cars in their driveway it is a mess trying to get in and out every day and like that anyone witha buggy like myself has to push it on the road which I dont mind because I know that they have no other option . I think your right in relation to cars with trailers etc....sure again in the grove their is one house I think with 7 electricians or trades men who all have white vans and park them all along the green....its like a fricking industrial estate the way they are lined up and taking peoples parking spaces. I would like to know if they all live in the one house or if the cars are just parked there at night and used as a depo??

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

INCH get on to your management agent agents about them

i believe thats anti social behaviour so warrants a letter/asbo etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭Angel

Residents in the Park recently received a letter from their management company asking the owner of a big white van to stop parking outside other people's houses. Obviously people must have contacted the agency to complain. Apparently the van disappeared for a few days but is back again now, so contacting the mgmnt co. might not be a long term solution.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭TnJ

These guys take 1st prize!!!

They totally blocked the street in the grove opposite SQ. Merc & trailer blocked all the residents of this cul de sac from entering/exiting. A couple of polish/latvian lads sauntered over from SQ after about 25 mins with their shopping trolley. When I challenged them about their parking they said, "well, we had nowhere else to park..." so they decided to block in about 30 houses. :eek:

called the guards btw, took them about 30 mins to show up and they just missed the pair. they had a grand ol chuckle at the pics and moved on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭LMC

Thats the best - I know is wasnt funny at the time, but some people are unreal. I generally park in the upperlevel carpark and its empty while people are queing for a space outside SQ - :confused:

Advertisement