Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Greetings & Questions

Options
  • 05-04-2007 6:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18

Hey all, first time posting here, but I'm a long term lurker. There have been some brilliant topics here, such as the mistakes discussion and many more clearing up questions about licensing etc I had myself, but others asked. So first off thanks for this excellent little resource!

Personally I've been thinking about applying for a license and picking up either a 22. rifle or shotgun for the last year or so. Went clay pigeon shooting last weekend at the Hilltop club and had a great time, learning a lot from a helpful, knowledgeable instructor. This Sunday I'm heading back up with my father (a shotgun owner) and going to try out the .22 Rifle range. So based on the experiences I'll decide which path to go down. (Although at the moment, despite the fun of Clay Pigeon shooting, I think I'll prefer the Rifle!)

Just a few basic questions, as regards safety:- eye & ear protection. What would people recommend, properly designed glasses, what brands?

Is 23 an alright age to be going for a gun license? Still at home with the folks and will be for another year or so.

It seems to be the case, particularly when getting a Rifle, that you have to be part of a gun club. Would I be right in guessing there'll have to be some sort of wait between joining a club and getting a letter to present to the Gardai?

Cheers for reading & any responses!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭ironsight

Expressway, hello and welcome to the world that is Shooting, nice to see that you have taken your time with this and not rushed in and bought stuff you will never use or need.
    The Hilltop club is an excellent place to learn and has some great members, if you want helpl, there are plenty of knowledgeable people there.

Base your decisions on the experiences of those that use the range, look at what they use as regards eye & ear protection. Try to borrow thereis before you run out and commit your own cash.
    Above all else, stay safe, and have fun

• Registered Users Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

expressway wrote:
    knowledgeable instructor. This Sunday I'm heading back up with my father (a shotgun owner) and going to try out the .22 Rifle range. So based on the experiences I'll decide which path to go down. (Although at the moment, despite the fun of Clay Pigeon shooting, I think I'll prefer the Rifle!)

I tried both but always favoured the rifle over shotgun.
    With your fathers permission you can get a licence to use his shotgun
    (the lads here can give you more details) You can then get your own rifle
    licence and enjoy the best of both worlds!

For a .22 I dont know how concerned people would be about wearing hearing
    protection considering a childs toy cap gun (with the plastic caps) I think
    sounds louder. Dunno what the db is of the .22 but I rarely see poeple wear
    ear defenders while fireing at them. (where there are ONLY .22's being fired)

once I got my own rifle and fired .17HMR the Noise difference is extreme so immediatly got myself a pair of defenders.

~B

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Umiq88

23's fine i'm 19 and have both a rifle and a shotgun

Providing you have a good reason for having them and your not a looney you'll be granted a license unless your unlucky and get an anti super.

Ear and eye protection for a .22lr isn't really nessecary save your money and buy the best gun and scope you can afford.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Ear and eye protection for a .22lr isn't really nessecary
    Er, yes it is. Especially indoors, but even on the outdoor ranges, .22lr will damage your hearing. Stick in a pair of plugs!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 379 ✭✭Dvs

Ear and eye protection for a .22lr isn't really nessecary save your money and buy the best gun and scope you can afford.

Yes it is!
    Good ear and eye protection are,
    essential equipment for shooting sports,
    buy the best you can afford,
    or better still, just buy the best.

If I asked you,
    after you had suffered an injury,
    how much it would be worth to you,
    not to be either deaf or blind,
    I bet you would be willing to pay quite a lot.

psittacosis,
    if you are shooting without eye and ear protection,
    wise up now, before you have reason to regret it.

And don't tell me how you cannot take part in game shooting,
    while wearing them, I do with electronic ear protection.
    Dvs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Umiq88

Target shooting yes everyone should be wearing hearing protection and eye no reason not to

But when hunting i would never use hearing protection but i'm using a modded .17hmr but a .22 wont be any louder

And i'd ask you nicely not to shove your opinions at me you may mention it but if i find i dont need hearing protection thats my concern im not harming anyone else

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Dvs wrote:
    And don't tell me how you cannot take part in game shooting,
    while wearing them, I do with electronic ear protection.
    Dvs.

excellent, what brand do you wear becuase I have never come across a pair for hunting which were any good, electronic or otherwise and I'd be interested in getting a decent pair for hunting

Vegeta wrote:
    excellent, what brand do you wear becuase I have never come across a pair for hunting which were any good, electronic or otherwise and I'd be interested in getting a decent pair for hunting

Peltor tac 7
    Dvs.

Target shooting yes everyone should be wearing hearing protection and eye no reason not to

But when hunting i would never use hearing protection but i'm using a modded .17hmr but a .22 wont be any louder

And i'd ask you nicely not to shove your opinions at me you may mention it but if i find i dont need hearing protection thats my concern im not harming anyone else

You are of course welcome to choose to risk your own hearing and eyesight.

However, when you are posting here,
    telling a new poster it isn't really nessecary,
    then you are crossing the line of making your own personal choice,
    to presenting it as a fact according to psittacosis.

which the new poster might take as an actual fact,
    based on something other than your personal choice,
    to be careless with your own safety.

Dvs.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

to the OP

once off sounds above 140dB (even impulse noise like a gun) can cause permanent damage. This includes most shotguns and most centerfire rifles

a .22lr has a report at approx 134dB (non sub sonic ammo i believe), so while not in the immediate danger zone any prolonged exposure to sound above 85-90dB can cause damage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

Vegeta wrote:
    to the OP
    a .22lr has a report at approx 134dB (non sub sonic ammo i believe), so while not in the immediate danger zone any prolonged exposure to sound above 85-90dB can cause damage.

Any idea about the sub-sonics ?

Back in the day's of the reserves as far as I can remember
    (my memory may be bad) we were told 90db could cause
    noise induced hearing loss or acoustic trama. Back then we were told
    that an FN FAL 7.62 would be around 170db and some nightclubs would
    be 90db

see:
    http://www.agius.com/hew/resource/nihl.htm

More recent research shows that people in Office situations may
    be at more risk as even talking on the phone while wearing an
    earpiece all day can cause more damage that gunfire or other loud
    noises that may be not as constant.

Rough guide on db levels:
    0-Threshold of hearing
    10-rustle of leaves, a quiet whisper
    20-average whisper
    20-50-quiet conversation
    40-45-hotel, theater between performances
    50-65-loud conversation
    65-70-traffic on a busy street/Boiling Kettle/Rainfall
    65-90-train/Vacuum Cleaner
    75-80-factory noise( light/medium work)
    90-heavy traffic
    90-100-thunder/Disco/Pneumatic drill
    110-140-jet aircraft at takeoff/Fireworks
    130-threshold of pain
    140-190-space rocket on takeoff

I have never seen figures on just how long or how often a person
    would have to experiance such db level in order for damage to hearing
    comes into effect.

~B

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Clare gunner

`Hmmm,all grist for the mill of argueing for easier access to silencers??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Bananaman

Just for the record - Hilltop has installed baffles on their outdoor 50m .22 range.

Even if you are using subsonics this has a distinctive echo. If there are 10 rifles firing together this can, at the least, be quite annoying and at most lead to a loud whistling sound in your head for an extended period of time.

If they are not subsonics then your hearing could be in real danger.

For outdoor, a set of earplugs or valves - minimum.

If you are firing gallery on the indoor range it is quite loud and there could be people firing large calibre handguns on the range at the same time so it is wise to get yourself, as a minimum, high grade ear protection.

This time of year it doesn't matter but from November to Februaury proper ear protection will keep your ears warm aswell - lot to be said for it.

B'Man

Advertisement