Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

XDA Orbit

• 05-04-2007 7:05pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 786 ✭✭✭

I see o2 have a new phone out.. the XDA Orbit?

I have the Blackberry 8700g and had been considering upgrading to the 8800.

Just have a few questions people may be able to answer.

1. Anybody have any experience with GPS on these units? I hear the orbit is shipping with all the maps on a memory card.
    2. Anybody ever try to get voip working over the wifi? It only has a 200mhz processor which I've heard may be insufficient?
    3. It comes with Windows Mobile 5. I know there are roms out there that will allow you to upgrade to WM6 which is apparantly a lot better. Any problems with using these on an Irish network?
    4. Whats the story with getting email going on windows mobile 5+ I'm using the blackberry service at the moment, so whats the best way to get it going on this? Get a copy of bbconnect software? or is there an easy way to connect to a pop3/imap mail service on the phone. It would have to be push/as good as push though.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

UK & IE maps on a memory card with the device. Don't think EU/US come with it - not sure how you'd get them - assume you can buy online.

I reckon it should work with VOIP, but don't expect it working great except over wifi.

It's been suggested to me to use WM6 on my Exec, so I assume people have used it - not tried it myself - I reckon you'll proberly have the initial issues with coverage and crashes on a new OS.

There's no Blackberry Connect for the XDA Orbit on launch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭Shredneck

ciaranfo wrote:
    UK & IE maps on a memory card with the device.

GPS is not included in the price of the handheld.
    Expect to Pay €150 approx for the software/memory card.

Indeed shredneck. 179 euro actually. I got my original info from the O2 website originally which has since changed!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,244 ✭✭✭drdre

Where's the cheapest place to get the xda orbit phone.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭Flying

Yeah I'm comtemplating sourcing one,although worried about Battery as WM5 Phones generally dont have great standby time

Flying wrote:
    Yeah I'm comtemplating sourcing one,although worried about Battery as WM5 Phones generally dont have great standby time
    Have you looked at prices.where's te cheapest at the moment

Does anyone know how much the xda orbit is on o2 billpay upgrade.
    Thanks in advance

Most likely not at all, it can be got on O2 UK, but have read recently that the current ROM's have SD Card Corruption issues. And the GPS is having severe Fix issues.

Might be better to hold off and see if a WM6 ROM can sort the current issues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 228 ✭✭emul

I have been told it will be about €279 as on upgrade on O2. I am awaiting it to be available online to order.

It appears that a fix has been found for the SD corruption issue and is posted on XDA-Dev, XDA-Orbit.com and HTC see here for details

http://www.europe.htc.com/support/faq.html?id=545&device=htcp3600

• Advertisement

emul wrote:
    I have been told it will be about €279 as on upgrade on O2. I am awaiting it to be available online to order.

It appears that a fix has been found for the SD corruption issue and is posted on XDA-Dev, XDA-Orbit.com and HTC see here for details

http://www.europe.htc.com/support/faq.html?id=545&device=htcp3600

I am also waiting for it to be online so i can order it, Does anyone know when it will be avialable through o2.ie

Price range is 330 - 429 Euro. Hope that helps!

ciaranfo wrote:
    Price range is 330 - 429 Euro. Hope that helps!

if its that price then im just going to leave it as i have as n95 and im happy with it.i just liked the look of the orbit

ah i thought it was 270 inc vat but its actually excluding.i might just leave it for the moment

Just asked for one as an upgrade for my current work phone, so fingers crossed hmmmmmmmm;)

Flying wrote:
    Just asked for one as an upgrade for my current work phone, so fingers crossed hmmmmmmmm;)

Good luck :)

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

I got an Orbit last week and have had no problems with the GPS. I use Smart2Go which has its own routing issues but the position on the map is accurate and ttff is quite quick even when sitting in my office.

No card corruption issues either though on one occasion file explorer seemed to be displaying hieroglyphics...

It's a nice unit, comfortable feel and uses mini-usb for charging which is dead handy. I wouldn't accuse it of being blisteringly fast though...

parsi wrote:
    I got an Orbit last week and have had no problems with the GPS. I use Smart2Go which has its own routing issues but the position on the map is accurate and ttff is quite quick even when sitting in my office.

No card corruption issues either though on one occasion file explorer seemed to be displaying hieroglyphics...

It's a nice unit, comfortable feel and uses mini-usb for charging which is dead handy. I wouldn't accuse it of being blisteringly fast though...

Where did you get your phone from and how much did you pay?

O2 and it was 249+vat.

• Advertisement

Yep Parsi ordered one through work for the same Price

parsi wrote:
    O2 and it was 249+vat.

Thanks, what upgrade did you have?

I think it was Gold - however it was being added on to a business account

parsi wrote:
    I think it was Gold - however it was being added on to a business account

Thanks, I will check it out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 654 ✭✭✭conor-mr2

so the current one is a rebranded htc p3300 then yea?
    Also they didnt disable wifi at all did they?
    I have a HTC p4350 here Im playing around with. Just threw my o2 sim card into it to see whats the crack. ITs a neat little beast. Able to put skype on it and all. Im wondering if you guys have been able to install skype on the xda?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 654 ✭✭✭conor-mr2

Ah answered my own question through the use of my eyes and finding an XDA orbit topic! Bless my eyes!

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭diarmy

I just got my Orbit today. Jesus lads, it's a feckin disaster!

First off, there's no case in the box for it so it's completely exposed to the elements. After visiting 4 O2 stores, no case is currently available for the Orbit.

Secondly, there is only 1 screen protector in the box (O2 stores dont have these either) so if you get one tiny bit of dirt on the sticky side like I did, you're screwed.

Thirdly, there's NO GPS SOFTWARE WITH THIS WHATSOEVER! This is an absolute disgrace for O2 Ireland considering the UK Orbits come with the CoPilot software and mounting cradle. Nothing exists in Ireland at present in the O2 stores.

Fourthly, THERE'S NO BLOODY MINI-SD CARD!!! What's the point?! No mini-SD card means you can take about 10 photos with the camera and then you're full.

Beyond that, the phone itself is frighteningly slow. I had an old Dell Axim X5 years ago, which was based on a 400MHz Intel XScale processor - now that was blistering compared to this - it's shockingly bad at closing programs, switching between windows and functions.

And in terms of usability, it's not great. The WiFi option is good but VERY slow (because the processor is basically a hamster's brain). The little rollerball is pretty annoying after a while too. The worst thing is the on-screen keyboard though. Nothing comes close to how bad this is. In portrait mode, this thing is impossible to use without the stylus - try texting in public and you'll soon wonder how long more you'll have your Orbit before it's robbed.

Physically it's very pretty and well put together - but for the first time I've experienced, O2 have let the whole show down. No case, no screen protectors available, no GPS software, no mini-SD card.

And as for the Quad-Band technology under the hood????? Better save up some more cash to buy some global adapters. Blackberrys come with USA/UK/EU plugs - this comes with an un-changeable UK plugtop - so dont bother buying this for abroad!!!

Absolute disaster. I'm returning it first thing on Tuesday. Guess I'll have to suffer on at O2's leisure while they take forever to release the Blackberry Curve here - it's out with over a month in the UK!

--- Forgot to mention, there's NO Blackberry Connect option with this thing either - an all round disaster. The GPS thing is just funny though - "here, have GPS hardware and go get the software yourself and then get a memory card to fit the software onto." GRRRRRR!

Just a few points :

- how many screen protectors do you want (serious question - I rarely use them),

- it is bad about the case though most devices look so much worse with one (my BB Pearl has a nice skin though) ,

- the lack of a microSD card is bad. The Nokia E50 ships without one as well. I took the card out of a decommissioned pearl.

- plugs plugs plugs. Your blackberry charger will charge the Orbit no probs. It seems that RIM are the only ones providing vartieties of plugs on chargers - Nokia don't do it,

- no BB Connect - only yourself to blame. It isn't out for Windows Mobile yet and RIM seem to be coy on when it will be released though they are touting the availability (soon) of a virtual BB for your WM device,

- CoPilot - comes free in the Uk on the over £35 per month tariff. Chargeable otherwise. You could try Smart2Go - it has good maps but dodgy routing algorithms,

- Haven't used the phone but like the WiFi - browsing with Opera is faster than with IE and Mundu works fine with it.

- Slow programs- some seem much slower than others. WiFiFoFum takes a while to launch but runs perfectly afterwards, Deivcescape launches quickly, iSilo is a brute...

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭diarmy

well on the screen protectors, considering they're just pieces of sticky plastic, i'd expect a couple to be included.

the micro-SD absence is unforgivable.

The lack of GPS software on a phone that I paid 269euro on a Platinum Upgrade on after 7 years of O2 custom is an absolute joke.

Not having Blackberry connect is a step far considering all the hype made about it coming to the XDA II and IIs years ago. Then they substitute it with the rubbish that is 'Direct-Push Technology' - sure that's useless for any company that's got any IT investment put into proper systems. I just with M$ would focus on what it does best and not compete for the sake of competeing.

i shouldn't have to ressurect my BB charger for the Orbit in fairness - this is a phone aimed at business professionals and it is hugely lacking in accessories (without having to pay for them - i.e. O2's cunning plan)

i'm not talking about a case that fits over the phone with a gammy plastic film on it, i'm talking about something similar to the horizontal cases you get with some phones and all blackberries (the proper big ones at least)

being the eternal cynic that i am, i blame the leaking of the essence of 'eau de microsoft' from the HTC convert for the feck ups along the line - but i guess that's my M$ bitterness... bloody iPhone where are you!?!?!! :)

• Advertisement

As far as MS are concerned Direct_push is the bees knees for connecting to exchange servers. The latest version does things like :

- ability to use hyperlinks in emails,
    - reconcile read/unread/deletions,
    - integrate address books OTA

These are all handled happily by the Blackberry Enterprise Server and have been for a year or two..

However I don't agree with teh comments about the charger. The 7100v came with a charger with changeable plugs and a usb port (subsequent versions have an integral charge cable) which makes it a very useful charger to have - with the right cable you can charge your gameboy, your DS, your PSP, your satnav, your bluetooth gps, your bluetooth headset etc etc and it should never need to be "resurrected" but should be an integral part of your charging gear..a true case of one device to charge them all !

Advertisement