Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Eircom back in the Mobile Business

• 05-04-2007 7:10pm
    Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,525 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Has anyone heard about this ? Can anyone elaborate on it ??

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 16,592 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

sharkman wrote:
    Has anyone heard about this ? Can anyone elaborate on it ??

well they have bought the 3G license Smart gave up and they own meteor so they are well involved. Or do you mean something else?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,525 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

copacetic wrote:
    well they have bought the 3G license Smart gave up and they own meteor so they are well involved. Or do you mean something else?

Ah Ha , yes the SMART move :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 488 ✭✭Brianb8802

Sorry bout the hijack, but whatever happened to the tesco mobile network that was announced about 6 months ago?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,244 ✭✭✭drdre

Brianb8802 wrote:
    Sorry bout the hijack, but whatever happened to the tesco mobile network that was announced about 6 months ago?

You can buy tesco phones in tesco dundrum.I seen them around 5-6 months ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

drdre wrote:
    You can buy tesco phones in tesco dundrum.I seen them around 5-6 months ago.

They're not quite the real deal yet, though. Tesco Mobile with its own brand will launch with 089 numbers this summer.

For now, they're just stocking O2 phones with custom price plans. The actual virtual network thing hasn't launched yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

They're not quite the real deal yet, though. Tesco Mobile with its own brand will launch with 089 numbers this summer.

For now, they're just stocking O2 phones with custom price plans. The actual virtual network thing hasn't launched yet.

It is better that the mobile phone market is more open. I wonder will the prices be much cheaper compareing to other networks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 145 ✭✭pob1

Considering Eircom own Meteor I'd say they are already back in the Mobile market.

pob1 wrote:
    Considering Eircom own Meteor I'd say they are already back in the Mobile market.

It's the best network ever:D .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Rebel Racer Dan

How has the whole country not changed to Meteor???? Free meteor to metero texts, cheaper texts and calls

How has the whole country not changed to Meteor???? Free meteor to metero texts, cheaper texts and calls

I don't know to be honest. I have been on meteor for the last year, and in total I have sent 71,570 texts, that is in less than a year. That is a huge savings for me. God knows I wouldn't be textin as much if I had to pay per text.

• Advertisement

Not everyone wants cheap.they want quality service as well.I have used mobiles for years and would never move to meteor.I have been with o2 and vodafone and o2 have seemed the best for the past few years.

i'm with meteor and willl likely leave soon, they are useless for anything outside of absolutely basic services and their customer service is terrible. They are the ryanair of the mobile business..

copacetic wrote:
    i'm with meteor and willl likely leave soon, they are useless for anything outside of absolutely basic services and their customer service is terrible. They are the ryanair of the mobile business..

Yes you just proved my point.Meteor are only for cheap students and people who have friends with meteor to avail of their offers.Not many people or business people are with meteor. Why? because they donot want to take the risk of moving to a crappy network :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,342 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Meteor are great for calls and texts and the service is reliable. But they are useless for anything to do with data.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

Meteor are great for calls and texts and the service is reliable. But they are useless for anything to do with data.
    this is true. meteor aren't great for business or roaming. meteor's selling point is this:

if you're on o2 and you send 71,570 texts (as above) to o2 numbers it costs €7872.00

until this week on vodafone, the same would have cost €9304.10.

on meteor it costs €0.

for that amount of saving, i'll put up with lack of data, no roaming and crap customer care

i don't really though. i have a vodafone sim for roaming and a 3 phone for data :)

@dr dre, any time i ask someone why they don't move to meteor they say its because the coverage is crap and that's simply not true.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Technically, it costs 20e for the month for your free texts :)

this is true. meteor aren't great for business or roaming. meteor's selling point is this:

if you're on o2 and you send 71,570 texts (as above) to o2 numbers it costs €7872.00

until this week on vodafone, the same would have cost €9304.10.

on meteor it costs €0.

for that amount of saving, i'll put up with lack of data, no roaming and crap customer care

i don't really though. i have a vodafone sim for roaming and a 3 phone for data :)

@dr dre, any time i ask someone why they don't move to meteor they say its because the coverage is crap and that's simply not true.

not sure this is a fair comparison, surely the people who you have to txt don't move network to suit you? Hardly anyone else I know is on Meteor. I guess it is a sign of age? My bill with meteor is pretty much like it was when I was with vodafone although i do get extra minutes for the same price. I only get a few free txts a month, 95% of my txts are to voda or O2.

Although I have to say the coverage is good and have had no problems, only issue I have had is at any kind of big event or time of year when meteor seems to falls over much quicker than voda did. I would never move to O2 as I know plenty of people who have problems with their coverage out my way.

Meteor was the only network that was working for me last New Years Eve at 12am, so they've improved in coping with big events.

chrislad wrote:
    Meteor was the only network that was working for me last New Years Eve at 12am, so they've improved in coping with big events.

thats because their's no one on their network :)

Just about half of Poland :)

• Advertisement

chrislad wrote:
    yeah, the other two went down but meteor had the idea of disabling delivery reports to reduce load on the network
    drdre wrote:
    thats because their's no one on their network :)
    except everyone i know
    copacetic wrote:
    not sure this is a fair comparison, surely the people who you have to txt don't move network to suit you?
    most of them moved before i did and the rest moved because they saw how much cheaper it is. not to suit me
    copacetic wrote:
    Hardly anyone else I know is on Meteor. I guess it is a sign of age? My bill with meteor is pretty much like it was when I was with vodafone although i do get extra minutes for the same price. I only get a few free txts a month, 95% of my txts are to voda or O2.
    that's where AFT comes in ;)
    |
    |
    |
    |
    V

How does AFT work, is it through gprs etc.And if it is then whats the cost of that would it not be expensive?

most of them moved before i did and the rest moved because they saw how much cheaper it is. not to suit me

I didn't mean 'you' as in your indiviudally, I meant the average person, who will likely have much more voda and o2 customers to call and txt that any other networks. Would you at least agree the comparison is not valid for most people?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

eircom's ramping up the business offerings on meteor fairly drastically. I'd say you'll see a 3G rollout fairly soon too once eircom get the smart licence legalities finalised. This would be a major boost for Meteor, particularly in the business sector as it would mean decent mobile email, fast data cards etc etc

They're not bad for roaming, particularly if you're only going to the UK. Their deal with T-Mobile means you can pretty much use your phone exactly the same as at home. Receiving calls = costs no extra, making calls, no extra charge!

3 is the same, as long as you're roaming on a 3 network. It was FANTASTIC when I was in australia.. No extra charge !!

I think you're going to start seeing a lot more alliances between smaller mobile networks though to provide roaming at more reasonable costs on a Europe/worldwide basis fairly soon.

Most countries have 3rd and 4th GSM/UMTS carriers like Meteor, so I assume it would make sense for them to start putting together global alliances.

O2 was part of the StarMap alliances : One Austria, Sonofon Denmark, O2 UK, Ireland, Czech Republic, Germany, Pannon Hungary, Wind Italy, Telenor Mobile Norway, and Sunrise in Switzerland.

O2 was bought by Telefonica (huge global player) and left and the alliance disolved!

Also, Spain's Amena became part of Orange and left.

There's also the FreeMove Alliance : http://www.freemovealliance.com/international_coverage.php?lang=en
    Meteor could join that.

drdre wrote:
    How does AFT work, is it through gprs etc.And if it is then whats the cost of that would it not be expensive?
    it works through gprs and it costs between 0.25c and 2c depending on network and settings. costs me 1c a message on my meteor phone but i have a 3 phone too and i use it on that so its effectively free. (€6 per month 100MB add-on)
    copacetic wrote:
    I didn't mean 'you' as in your indiviudally, I meant the average person, who will likely have much more voda and o2 customers to call and txt that any other networks. Would you at least agree the comparison is not valid for most people?
    meteor aren't as cheap as they can be if you don't know many people on meteor but they're still the cheapest

meteor aren't as cheap as they can be if you don't know many people on meteor but they're still the cheapest

would agree with this I guess, although I don't feel the limitations of their service are worth it for me any longer..

Advertisement