Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

fuel, bank holiday price hike

Options
  • 05-04-2007 7:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭

Bas - tards !

For weeks petrol and diesel here was 1.05. Last week the petrol went up to 1.08, diesel stayed 1.05 and today, with lots of bank holiday traffic coming they put petrol up to 1.12 and diesel to 1.08.

Greedy, or what?

All the northies and english people inflicting themslves on this coastal place every easter still think its cheap ... I don't :mad:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

You'll find the price of oil has risen dramatically in the last 2 weeks, with the crisis in Iran. That said, it has started to drop back today.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

How come there's always a "crisis" coming up to a bank holiday or the main holiday season.

Crisis, me arse ....didn't they get new suits and all?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Don't let logic and reason get in the way! peasant is pissed off! :p

97.9 in Waterford! :p:p

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

mike65 wrote:

salt in my wounds ...:(

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

mike65 wrote:

That would be the remainder of Tesco's contaminated fuel :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

It sounds very fishey though, I bet goverment leaders have a [SIZE=-1]conspericy[/SIZE] going on, not just with fuel, but its a good example. Each time something happens (e.g. Iran) fuel sky rockets. Ok there is usually a valid reason but it seems they will look for any excuse to hike the price up these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,653 ✭✭✭Trampas

But price raise in oil should take a few months to get to the pumps I thought

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I always find it amazing that the price of fuel goes up almost instantly when the cost of oil is influenced by a war, natural disaster, etc despite the fact the oil refined on that day doesn't reach the forecourt for a couple of weeks at the earliest. Yet when the price of oil drops on the world markets we don't see the benefits on the forecourts for weeks if at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

bazz26 wrote:
    I always find it amazing that the price of fuel goes up almost instantly when the cost of oil is influenced by a war, natural disaster, etc despite the fact the oil refined on that day doesn't reach the forecourt for a couple of weeks at the earliest. Yet when the price of oil drops on the world markets we don't see the benefits on the forecourts for weeks if at all.
    That'd be the same as the budget then... the cost increases usually start at midnight that day, but any benefits don't kick in for months :(

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭cmurph

97.9 in waterford sounds good, i get diesel for 99 in co.limerick..

1.08 and 1.12 are just mad prices...

move down south guys!!:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Trampas wrote:
    But price raise in oil should take a few months to get to the pumps I thought

got there before me

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭vengeance52

Cavan Ptl 1.11
    Dsl 1.10.

Monaghan Ptl 1.08
    Dsl 1.05

I filled the car this mornin, it was 1.03, when i passed the same place comin home it was 1.05.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

bazz26 wrote:
    C'mon on the Petrol Cmpanies, any of you brave enough to come on here an enlighten us !!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Me suspects the greedy b'stads that own the petrol stations also have a lot to do with it. The petrol company puts up the wholesale price by 1c and they put up the forecourt price by 3c...

Crisis in Iran? What crisis? The 15 sailors thing? They're all on their way home now... is the price of fuel going down?

And then I read these:
    Statoil Posts Record Yearly Profits
    Exxon reports largest profit in US history
    Record Shell profit spurs windfall tax calls - Consumer groups attack 'obscene' £9.4bn record
    BP to make biggest profit in UK history despite hurricanes

• Registered Users Posts: 65,381 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

kbannon wrote:
    That would be the remainder of Tesco's contaminated fuel :D

LOL :D

What's the story with the N4 Lucan Texaco (highest turnover petrol station in Ireland) BTW? Petrol used to be the cheapest within miles, but it's been at 108.9 for the last few weeks. Where shall I be taking my custom from now on?

Also our Government takes about 60c out of every €1 from the price of petrol at the pump in tax too.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,381 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

bazz26 wrote:
    Also our Government takes about 60c out of every €1 from the price of petrol at the pump in tax too.

Which is lower than most other (old) EU countries

unkel wrote:
    Which is lower than most other (old) EU countries

Yeah but some probably don't have to pay VRT or even an annual motor tax like we have to.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭ciarsd

unkel wrote:

What's the story with the N4 Lucan Texaco (highest turnover petrol station in Ireland) BTW? Petrol used to be the cheapest within miles, but it's been at 108.9 for the last few weeks. Where shall I be taking my custom from now on?

Another case of, 'cause I can, I will' (stuff the public)...

From what I can see, they're operating costs have gone down in years with the 'lesser' paid employees now making up 95% of staff...

I too have taken my custom elsewhere as long as his prices remain as inflated!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

unkel wrote:

Vote with your wallet and keep going for another 10 mins to Maynooth and get it in Tesco. 105.9 there yesterday. Benchmark/Statoil Motorcard is currently 109.97 :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

:mad:

Tesco have made up for lost time er revenue and whacked the price up to 103.9!

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 662 ✭✭✭Ba$tard

I filled up 58 litres of turf (diesel) in Ballincollig, Cork today, most expensive I have paid at 1.09.

The war thing - and why does oil become more expensive immediately - etc -

well thats the instant price flucuation of any commodity's value. The point of sale regardless of the purchase price of the actual stock you are buying is immediately effected in the sense that a bonefide trust is followed when the the value returns to "normal", the price returns to "normal".....and there is normally a minor delay in the latter....but it is governed (loosely)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭Traumadoc

Its pretty common in Australia for petrol companies to raise prices just before the holidays by 10%

http://www.abc.net.au/pm/content/2006/s1609535.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

I went from Limerick to Kilkee yesterday and the cheapest I saw was 108.[something] for petrol somewhere around Ennis. Cheapest is like 111 in town!

I went from Limerick to Kilkee yesterday and the cheapest I saw was 108.[something] for petrol somewhere around Ennis. Cheapest is like 111 in town!

Unleaded 107.9 at EMO on Clare Street yesterday, next to the Abbey bridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭andrew1977

Am i not looking in the right place or has the petrol/diesel sticky disapeared off the motor forum ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭old boy

statoil station knocklong co. limerick 115 + a few cents been that way since mid week i think open to contradiction, maby 1 huge 1 could confirm this

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭G Luxel

I love when groups like the Consumer Agency says to shop around, and when you do drive around, the price seems to be more or less the same. In some towns they are equal..... I also find many stations closed and Ive also had to drive at night and many stations not open....:mad: so much for shopping around and ending up running out of petrol....:(

Advertisement