Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Double lock nuts or not?

Options
  • 05-04-2007 9:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭

Came out this moring to find some douche bags had removed the centre caps off my alloys, obviously to have a go at nicking them. They are 18" VW wheels with expensive tyres. I hvae the standard locknut from VW on them which obviously put them off but in the process they broke one of the centre caps and scratched the whell popping them off. Is it worth getting a second set of lock nuts to add extra protection? Will the **** just come back for the wheels with something that will remove the lock nuts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

It is quite possible that they may come back with a VW lock nut, even scumbags have easy access to ebay these days. I would get a second set of lock nuts for at least peace of mind. McGard locking wheel nuts are supposed to be one of the best on the market.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

Any idea where I could get a set of them in Dublin? Checked out their site and they look pretty good so think I'll invest in a set.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I got mine in halfords (Belfast) but the ones down here may well have them

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭ciarsd

I wouldn't suggest more than one locknut per wheel due to the fact that you are weakening the overall fix of the wheel to the hub and your car :( Locknuts don't have the same level of security holding on a wheel... but are (as you know) a necessary evil.

Like every other scumbag out there, if they want something that you've got they'll get it eventually :mad: through whatever means necessary - sure another locknut per wheel will slow them down or possibly deter on scummer but I wouldn't risk it personally.

Fitting more than 1 locknut to a 4-stud wheel versus a 5-stud wheel, thats another thread... probably an interesting debate.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Although I have heard that before, I have two locknuts per wheel on my car (5 stud wheels) and have never had issues with them being looser.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

If your lock nuts can be tightened with a torque wrench to the required torque, then I dont see a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

FX Meister wrote:
    Came out this moring to find some douche bags had removed the centre caps off my alloys, obviously to have a go at nicking them. They are 18" VW wheels with expensive tyres. I hvae the standard locknut from VW on them which obviously put them off but in the process they broke one of the centre caps and scratched the whell popping them off. Is it worth getting a second set of lock nuts to add extra protection? Will the **** just come back for the wheels with something that will remove the lock nuts?

You could just get two different types of lock nut. That way if they come with the device to get one of them off they will be f***ed because you will have a different lock nut also requiring a different attachment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭ciarsd

kbannon wrote:
    Although I have heard that before, I have two locknuts per wheel on my car (5 stud wheels) and have never had issues with them being looser.

Good stuff, it does greatly depend on the quality of the locknut to start off with and wether they're fitted to a 4-Stud or 5-Stud setup :)
    crosstownk wrote:
    If your lock nuts can be tightened with a torque wrench to the required torque, then I dont see a problem.

That's just it, some of the 'lesser' locknuts are terrible, should not be on the shelves in the first place...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

Thats the plan logik, have a mcgard set as well as the VW ones. It's a fivestud set up so hopefully won't weaken too much. Cheers for the pointer kbannon, I'll give halfords a shot.

Advertisement