Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Back to Basics

Options
  • 05-04-2007 9:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭

Right, I want to go back to some games I missed from the last generation.

I have a 360 and, am sick of paying €70 for a 1 in 10 chance off the game being good. I now have a chance to go back to Gamecube, PS2, Xbox and Dreamcast and pick up the GREAT games for cheaper prices. A foolproof plan I hear you say? Sadly, No.

I can't find the games! I have a ps2 so, I was looking for 2nd Hand games in GameStop to no avail. No good ones.

I need help, what games to buy, what systems to get, and most importantly, WHERE to get them. I don't have a credit card but have a 3v card. I don't really want to go down the ebay root, mainly because p&p to Ireland is usually a bitch.

Dreamcasts are impossible to source as well. :(

I've rarely played through games, usually tossing them aside. I want to clear them. I've missed out on so many,

Thanks,

Timans

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Captain Trips

Get a PS2 and...

Ico
    Shadow of the Collossus
    GTA III, Vice City
    Gran Turismo 4
    Final Fantasy X

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭steviec

Off the top of my head:

PS2:
    Shadow of the Colossus - best game of the generation imo
    We Love Katamari - crazy and pure fun
    San Andreas - I seem to be in the minority but I think it was the pinnacle of the GTA series, if you look past the gangsta setting and at the great gameplay
    Burnout 2 & 3 - different styles, both brilliant, the newer ones aren't so good
    Beyond Good & Evil - fantastic adventure game, like Zelda with a far more interesting setting and story
    MGS 2: Substance & 3: Subsistance - brilliant gameplay with multiple ways of completing tasks, also well written dialogue and good characters, even if overall story arcs became convoluted
    Suikoden V - JRPG with a brilliant setting and characters
    Final Fantasy X - Final Fantasy at its best
    Singstar / Buzz - surprisingly entertaining in groups
    Gladius - Interesting turn based strategy RPG in an ancient Roman type setting
    GT4 - Ok, only if you're into cars, but the sense of speed in the latest was far enhanced from previous games which added nicely to the already fantastic game engine. Hopefully improved AI will be next on their list
    F1 '06 - Again, only if your into F1, but this is my favourite next gen game at and the PS2 version is practically identical in most ways
    Mercenaries - great military sandbox to play in
    Gitaroo Man - brilliant rythm game
    Pro Evo - Obviously.

Gamecube
    Super Monkey Ball - brilliant and challenging single player, and the best collection of multiplayer mini games ever put together.
    Mario Party - always fun with a group

Xbox
    Knights of the Old Republic 1 & 2 - probably the best RPGs of the generation, great dialogue, many many ways to develop your character and your party and many ways to approach problems. Very very solid games.
    Jade Empire - as above, not quite as accomplished but still a good game.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Timans

I am thinking I need to import games for the ps2. They're cheaper and I could use playasia for a good selection.

Would I have to buy another ps2 or could I make it Multi Region anyway?

Thanks for the replies guys. There's so many **** pre-owned games in shops, I need a way to filter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭thelordofcheese

if you get a GameCube, or already have one (i'm not sure on your original post if you have or want to get the older consoles)

Viewtiful Joe 1&2
    Metroid Prime, and Metroid Prime: Echos
    Killer 7
    Pikmin 1 & 2
    Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker
    Ikiriuga (if you can find it)
    Skies of arcadia (If you didn't play the dreamcast original)
    F-Zero GX
    Mario Kart: Double Dash
    Mario Sunshine
    Resident Evil 4
    Super Smash brothers Melee (best fighting game, ever)

I'm planning on getting a Gamecube again after me, being an idiot, sold it.

I need:

Xbox
    Dreamcast
    Gamecube

Xbox - €60 in Gamestop, 2 Used Games.
    Dreamcast - Don't have a clue.
    Gamecube - €50 in Gamestop

I'm scrolling through ebay looking now, The prices are fine. But the p&p is ridiculous. £50 sterling to post a dreamcast! :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Ri_Nollaig

splinter cell was pretty cool too, its on all formats too as far as im aware

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Nearly everything you need is in this thread here:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055070053

Whatever you do don't miss out on Gradius V. I saw a few copies going for cheap in the henry street and liffey street Gamestop second hand section.

I also saw a brand new We love Katamari in Gamestop Santry not so long ago.

If you want a cheap 360 game get Earth Defence Force. It might be a budget release but it kicks ass all the same.

Thanks Retr0, Also, I know you got a dreamcast quite recently.

Where did you get yours?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Got mine from someone on adverts.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭thelordofcheese

Ohh yeah, one game that i didn't mention, and i didn't see on the linked thread, but that is awesome is Eternal Darkness for the cube.

And best of luck trying to find that dreamcast.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭brav

Also Worms on XBLA, been playing it loads recently,not as good as armageddon but still top class.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Dreamcast supplies are drying up fast alright, I raided Bookmart and Game exchange on Talbot street to bolster my collection, now they have bugger all, most of them are in the hands of enthusiasts, or in attics or landfills of those with simply no taste, re gamelists, check out titles you like on gamefaqs, see what user reviews were like and then buy, without a credit card its a tough one, a paypal account is the most popular way to buy games online in ebay.
    And if the only games you get for the DC are MSR, Jet Set Radio, House of the Dead 2 and Samba De Amigo, you'll be a happy man.

A lot of Dreamcast games are becoming really expensive on ebay as well especially the G-rev games. There have been 5 new shmups released for the dreamcast in the last 6 months and last time I checked they are still available from places like play-asia. These are Under Defeat, Last Hope, Trigger Heart Excelica (sp), Radirgy (sp might be radilgy) and Karou. I can only vouch for Under Defeat which is fantastic and the nicest looking DC game ever. I'd pick them up if you like shmups before they turn into another Border Down. That game was rereleased twice but even so it will set you back 200+ on ebay (and is rather good). You can play the imports with a Utopia boot disk freely available for download on the intrweb.

In some cases if the game is just too expensive or you can't get your hands on it you will just have to bite the bullet and download it. They are abandonware basically. Unfortunately the Dreamcast scene isn't as big as the Saturn scene so itcan be hard finding the game you want. Just remember to buy the game if there is a retro rerelease ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

you need a ps2 modchip
    then u can play the best of the best imports too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭dan719

Dreamcast rocks!:D Shenmue and Jet Set Radio are required for any gamer. And it also pioneered internet gaming. Chu Chu Rocket anyone?:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭BLITZ_Molloy

You might as well just get a chipped Dreamcast, PS2+Harddrive and just download the games. The original devs aren't going to see any revenue from your 2nd hand buys and ebay scalpers anyway.

Advertisement