Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

More news on UFC coming to Ireland

• 05-04-2007 9:56pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,045 ✭✭✭

From sherdog.com:

The next chapter in Rich Franklin's (Pictures) quest to regain the UFC middleweight crown will unfold on June 16 Sherdog.com has learned, when "Ace" faces Martin Kampmann (Pictures) in the main event of UFC's first foray into Ireland.

In his return to the Octagon after losing the belt to Anderson Silva, the 32-year-old Franklin easily stopped Jason MacDonald (Pictures) in early March. On that same card Kampmann, 24, endured Drew McFedries' power before winning by arm-triangle choke.

Having won each of his three UFC contests, the Dane (15-2-0) gets a chance to prove he belongs among the best at 185 when he steps in against Franklin (21-2-0, 1 NC; 8-1 in the UFC).

It's expected Zuffa will officially announce the fight during Thursday's UFC Fight Night telecast from Las Vegas on SpikeTV.

Also, a fight between Forrest Griffin (Pictures) and Hector Ramirez (Pictures) is being discussed.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭Charlie

This is huge. I am so pissed, I a going to be in New York at the time but would love to be there front and centre.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

Is this the Belfast show then?

Good to see some big names on the card, there were some doubters saying that they'd just stick on the undercard/local fighters for their UK and Ireland shows

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,045 ✭✭✭Vince135792003

Fozzy wrote:
    Is this the Belfast show then?

No Dublin as far as I know and its been the location talked about but again until its announced your never 100% sure.

EDIT: I just checked the points schedule and they have a show scheduled for that date. You could be right.

It looks like Belfast. From the observer:

Sherdog is reporting that there will be a UFC show on 6/16 in Ireland (I had heard a June show in Belfast for a while, but never a confirmed date) with Martin Kampmann vs. Rich Franklin as a main event. They also said Forrest Griffin vs. Hector Ramirez was in the process of being put together. This show would most likely air on Spike as a three-hour special, unless the HBO deal closes in time.

Could be worth the trip up north!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

The point is undergoing reservations this summer.. So it will be on in Belfast. Cage Rage will be the last MMA show on the in the point before it gets redone. After that, the sky is the limit. It's good to see Ireland get a piece of the pie. After being a fan of MMA for well over 10 years, I can safely say - we've gone up a notch from having to tape trade to stay current, to actually being at the event.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭fatal

the odessy arena in belfast is where it is all supposed to take place..
    I would be more than willing to travel up there to watch a UFC event........tickets as usual would be quite hard to come across.
    If its going to happen on the 16th of June,it should be officially announced soon

fatal wrote:
    ..tickets as usual would be quite hard to come across.

It'll depend how they price it.

Oliver Copp, the German commentator for UFC said in an interview on figure four last night that he believed the show in Ireland would be in Dublin at the Point. I think he's probably wrong but just thought I'd share.

A little more from Oliver Copp:

My latest info, directly from Marshall Zelaznik (President of UFC UK division), is that it's going to be Dublin and they're trying to find a date which fits both the Point's schedule as well as that of the UFC and the fighters. Belfast is definitely their backup in case they can't find a solution, although people at UFC are v-e-r-y weary of running the city for security reasons.

They confused me a lot yesterday. I was reading reports saying that UFC 72 is now UFC 73. I had already heard that the Irish event was UFC 72, so I thought they were moving it forward a month. But they were referring to a July show in America as UFC 72

What's the deal with security issues in Belfast? Is it really that much worse than Dublin?!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭fatal

Fozzy wrote:
    What's the deal with security issues in Belfast? Is it really that much worse than Dublin?!
    .......or any other american city that the UFC has had a show in for that matter?
    I would rather the show in Dublin but the excuse about the "security lapse" in Belfast is bull****.They are a bunch of fighters.....they should be a able to take care a bit of trouble on their own;)

Fozzy wrote:

Its like anything, a place gets a reputation and even when it no longer deserves it, the reputation remains a while afterwards.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 15,182 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

According to FightNetwork.com, the Odyssey Arena in northern Ireland will host UFC 72.

“… we have confirmed though various employees there that [UFC 72] be held at the Odyssey Arena in Belfast on June 16. The Odyssey currently hosts the local ice hockey team in the Belfast Giants, and in that capacity, seats a modest 10,000 spectators (that number could rise with floor seating added). For British fans, Belfast is a trip across the Irish Sea, but to put things into perspective for our American readers, the flight is similar to that of Las Vegas to Los Angeles and budget airline operations between Britain and Ireland may mean that a lot of the Brits will travel for this show.”

Advertisement