Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dish Farm

• 05-04-2007 10:30pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 193 ✭✭

Due to the close proximity of an adjacent house(and my own conservatory), I opted for a multi dish install(done by myself). Left to right, I have Hellas, Astra1, Hotbird, Astra2, and Hispasat. My neighbour's(whom I've never met) dish, in the background is mounted on a mast, and motorised.
    My TT3200 card only does Diseqc1.0(won't do motors). 4 LNB's feed through a solid state Diseqc switch into one side of an AB mechanical switch; the fifth LNB goes directly into the other side.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

You can get a a PC card to doe Diseqc 1.2 etc by uising different SW, the main limitation is that usually the motor takes too much current.

Since the dishes are not on the House or at front, the Planning folks can't complain :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭Lennoxschips

nope, they can't complain

still, i'm glad that's not next to my house :D

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭weehamster

Emm...ever think of getting one of these
    bT55.gif

or one of these on your big dish
    mult4sat.gif

or even one of these so you can get every inch of KU band receivable :rolleyes:
    par90Multi9fd.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 193 ✭✭FunkyDa

Emmm....no! Sadly, due to the close proximity of adjacent houses, a single dish solution would need to be mounted on a mast 4/5 meters high, to enable reception of Hellas>Hispa(a 70deg sweep). A mast of that height would need stay cables to ensure stability, and that's a road I don't want to go down.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭weehamster

39562.jpg
    I've been Installing Sat systems for nearly 20 years now and from what I can see on the above photo, Hellasat, Astra1 & 2 and Hotbird can be done on one dish which can be placed where the nearest dish is in the photo. :)

Unfortunately Hispasat is too far away on the arc so it would require its own dish. :(

On a separate issue, I hope im wrong about this and please forgive me if I am :o , but it appears that you have a sky dish on your neighbours extension. Im sorry to say this, but I hope you obtained permission to do same from you neighbour because if you didn't, then you are out of order placing that dish on property that is not owned by you. :eek:

• Advertisement

I take your point about pulling in 4 sats on the one dish, but as I said, due to the close proximity of neighbouring houses(and a large tree in my own garden), that one dish would need to be on a mast, in an elevated position. That position would probably cause the dish to be something of an eyesore to my neighbour.
    Re the mounting of the Astra2 dish on my neighbour's kitchen extension - indeed, I did ask for his permission!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

A regular dish 80cm to 110cm can do an arc of about 21degrees max, 15 degrees well.

A Wavefrontier Toriodal does about 40 degrees.

Motorised will do about 120 degrees, the realistic max (Turksat to Pas 50W). Hellas to Hispasat is about 69 degrees.

Separate dishes is always the best solution for quality & reliability

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Ugly, but impressive :D

JHMEG wrote:
    Ugly, but impressive :D

It was either hanging flower baskets, or satellite dishes - the dishes won!:D

Advertisement