Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Arsenal Rockies!

• 06-04-2007 12:04am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭

A bit of cool news for me!

Stan Kroenke's KSE UK Inc. have bought a 9.99% stake in Arsenal Holdings PLC from ITV.

Stan Kroenke is a US billionaire ranked 153 on the Forbes list, above the Glazers and Randy Lerner. He currently owns the Denver Nuggets (NBA) and Colorado Avalanche (NHL) with interests in the St. Louis Rams and MLS interests through the Colorado Rapids.

Arsenal started a partnership with the CO Rapids earlier this year and they've promised a centre of excellence as well as cup sponsored competitions over here.

Kroenke's people say he has no interest in buying the club outright and Arsenal's major shareholders, particularly Dein, are unlikely to sell.

Still, good for the MLS and Colorado soccer. I wonder will Arsenal be touring over here.

Link from BBC

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

didn't this guy say publicly a few weeks back that he has no interest in buying them outright, just sees them as a good investment? it's interesting alright...

it's a strange oul time though that we now have Americans investing heavily in soccer... can it be really good for the sport though?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

didn't this guy say publicly a few weeks back that he has no interest in buying them outright, just sees them as a good investment? it's interesting alright...

it's a strange oul time though that we now have Americans investing heavily in soccer... can it be really good for the sport though?
    No, someone 'on his behalf' denied any interest, which Kroenke then denied as legally you cannot buy shares in a company for 6 months after denying an interest. T'was pretty obvious who ITV's shares were going to.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

I would prefer if the club ownership stayed as it was tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Arsenal can be the Manchester United of the 21st century
    Watford could become the new Manchester United if they had enough money behind them.

I wonder why foreign money is only being pumped into the Premier League. Is Spanish and Italian football not seen as a good investment? What sort of tv money do their leagues command?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

What sort of tv money do their leagues command?

In Spain Real Madrid secured a tv deal worth €800 million over 7 years while Barcelona have a five year deal starting in 2008 worth £81.4 million per year. This of course is because the clubs are allowed to negotiate their own tv deals unlike in England.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

I have to say I'd prefer the club to stay with its present owners. Premiership clubs are starting to become playthings for billionaires,

Man United - Glazers
    Chelsea - Ambramovich
    Liverpool - George Gillet & Tom Hicks
    Aston Villa - Randy Lerner
    Portsmouth - Alexandre Gaydamak

I'm sure there will be more added to that list in the future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

As much as it would help out the club in the short term I would hate it if Arsenal were bought out by a sugar daddy. Look at Chelsea, if Abramovich pulls out they will be as good as bankrupt. It just isn't a sound long term plan.

None of the Americans are sugar daddies.

New ownership might not be a bad thing really. Besides increased funds being made available for the manager, it might mean an improvement in relations with the fans, which are pretty much non existant at the moment. The current owners are well known for not giving a sh1t about us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

cson wrote:
    I have to say I'd prefer the club to stay with its present owners. Premiership clubs are starting to become playthings for billionaires,

Man United - Glazers
    Chelsea - Ambramovich

Surely they have always been the playthings of the multi millionaire/billionaires

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Surely they have always been the playthings of the multi millionaire/billionaires

if anything it's a case of them no longer being a plaything, but rather a way to make a quick buck. investment could be good for the clubs, but if things go awry a lot of these guys may have no hesitation cashing in and selling the assets of the club rather than working through it. as far as i can tell everyone bar Ambramovich really is in it to make money (and we're seeing signs that even Ambramovich is fed up throwing money at Chelsea and wants them to make a return)

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,338 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Owning a club has always been a hobby for millionaires, but now to compete you need to be a billionare, and one of the reasons for the sudden influx of foreign owners is that the British super rich aren't prepared to put their hands in their pockets to support their so-called "national game". I think it was Jack Walker (former Blackburn owner) who said that the quickest way to turn £100 million into £10 million was to buy a football team.

I'd be delighted if some American billionaire, or a billionaire of any nationality for that matter, bought Leeds and baled us out of the crap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

cson wrote:

Man United - Glazers
    Chelsea - Ambramovich

whats changed though?

wigan, fulham, reading, boro, west ham, they are all owned by private billionaires/millionaires, and except for WH, have been for quite some time

Advertisement