Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Import a non-Jap car from Japan

Options
  • 06-04-2007 12:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭

Anyone one ever look into importing a BMW or Mercedes from Japan, a 2nd hand one, we see loads of Altezza, Type R, Twin Cam etc. Just wondering if it would be a possibility & if savings could be made.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

www.sbmotors.ie seem to be doing tis of late.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I would imagine it being expensive as you are paying import duty to basically get a car originally built in the EU back from outside the EU. This plus VAT and the usual VRT. There might not be too much savings over going to the UK for a similar car I would think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

I've seen a few Jap import Mercs going around, and I've even seen a Jap import VW Polo. Not very common though.

http://www.japan-partner.com/ usually have a good selection of European and American cars on offer, usually at fairly good prices as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭louie

Most of the BMW and Merc are actually coming from Singapore.
    The spec on them are a lot higher the European cars and if you get a good deal, you can save few grand, and the risk being clocked is minimum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Mailman

As I understand it a tax like Duty can't be charged on a car that was manufactured in Europe even if it was exported out of the E.U. and then re-imported.
    They'll still go to town on VRT and VAT.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭G Luxel

Remember that most Bmws, Mercedes etc from Japan are Left Hand Drive. Unlike us, the japanese will pay for LHD even if it is an expensive option over RHD. Its down to prestige and the fact that they want to be seen in LHD overloaded Mercedes S class AMG with an 8.3 litre engine. What is very unusual to see there is a left hand drive japanese car. I only ever saw two, a US spec Previa and another US spec Mitsubishi Eclipse coupe. Many of the European cars are usually in the 2 to 3 litre class such as a Peugeot V6 406 estate or even a 2 litre 206 SI6 but also remember that many of these cars may not be manufactured in Europe as there are Peugeot and Citroen factories in China and Volvo operates a factory in Malaysia.
    Also seen over here are Japanese Fords, ie Mazdas with ford badges, including the Bongo Friendee.
    Check out Tradecarview.co.jp. which includes many European marques for sale.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Rebel Racer Dan

If it's a non Jap car u want just go to the UK for it!!! Will be a) less hassle and b) prob alot cheaper than paying shipping costs etc etc!!!!

other than that all i can say is.... why the feck would u want a car that aint Jap

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

other than that all i can say is.... why the feck would u want a car that aint Jap

Becasue they are dirt cheap in Japan, and many non-Jap cars there are autos, which may suit some people here.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

It was more of a curiosity question than me being interested in actually doing it. I've bought my last two cars in the UK.
    I thought importers would be interested in bringing in more luxury cars as the margins might be greater on these cars than say it would be on a Jap import Corolla.
    With the amount of UK BMWs coming into the country clearly there is a market for them. I registered my 2002 in Cork last March & I have already seen cars, mostly BMWs with regs 2000 numbers after my car, and that's just in my locality!!! 3 of my neighbours have UK import BMWs, 2 have only just switched their UK plates in the last month.

Advertisement