Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Licence Fee Increases - Shooters Quite Unhappy.

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Got my first response today
    XXXXX,

I have written to the Minister for Justice regarding your queries on the reform of the Firearms Act. As soon as I get a reply I will revert back to you.

Michael Fitzpatrick M.C.C.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭duckmusic

Sparks wrote:
    No coverage in the Sunday papers by the way, other than a nasty letter in the Tribune pointed at the NRAI by someone.

There was a small section in the quotes part of the review section in Saturdays Independent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Clare gunner

Folks,
    Just cruised thru a few websites of gun clubs here in Ireland.Apart from the NARGC and Target shooting Ireland websites,and a sort of lets discuss this on the ICPSA web page.NO ONE seems to be botherd mentioning this on their news pages????:( Would think this might be somwhat important to get this message out in any way possible???
    Wakey,Wakey People in charge of web pages!!! You snooze this year.You LOSE next Year!!:(

Note to the IPSC folks. The webpage is down as well!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

It's also on the news page of Rathdrum Rifle and Pistol Club at www.rathdrumrpc.org

Go to News, Latest News and it's top of the list!

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

duckmusic wrote:
    There was a small section in the quotes part of the review section in Saturdays Independent.
    Nuts, missed it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

It's also on the City of Dublin Pistol Club's website

www.cityofdublinpistolclub.com

A note in from a contact in Leinster house says that anyone (other than the national associations) who writes an email to the TDs ought to just select their local TDs and to ensure they leave their postal address in the email - that way the TD knows it's his constituency. Otherwise, the email is just ignored and deleted...

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭duckmusic

I got my first reply today,
    Dear Mr. ******,

Thank you for your email to Minister Haughey regarding provisions set out in the 2007 Finance Act and please be assured that it will be brought to his attention.

With best wishes,

Claire Turvey

Personal Assistant to Sean Haughey TD, Minister of State

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Don't think that's true Sparks, I've had several replies and a phone call from a local. None of my e-mails have been from locals though so keep mailing everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Quillo

Got this from Billy Timmins:

TIMMINS CALLS ON GOVERNMENT TO DROP GUN LICENCE STEALTH TAX

Deputy Billy Timmins has called on the Government to desist from
    increasing the cost of gun licences. The Government proposes to increase
    the three year rifle licence fee from €114 to €170 and a shotgun licence
    from €75 to €115.

Deputy Timmins pointed out that this is just another stealth tax and
    none of this money is reinvested in the sport. In addition Timmins said
    that the Minister for Justice would be better occupied if he ensured
    that people who were getting gun licences received some training on the
    weapon before they received authorisation to use it.

And this from Ciarán Cuffe

Thanks for getting in touch on this issue.

I can understand your outrage at the massive hike in the cost of a firearms license, especially considering administration for the licensing system has moved from one to three years.

I have written to the Minister for Justice, Equality and Law Reform and to the Minister for Finance regarding this issue and I will forward you a copy of the responses I receive.

Best regards,

Ciarán

Ciarán Cuffe TD
    Dún Laoghaire Green Party

• Advertisement

Just got that from Timmins as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

Spoke to Tom Parlon's secretary today, according to him lots of emails have been coming in on the issue.

He stated (as have other TDs in their replies) that the line coming from Finance is that the fee has been increased in line with the Consumer Price Increase, and that it hasn't risen in years.

He said he would be seeing what could be done about it, and seemed surprised to hear there were so many unhappy shooters out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭sidneyreilly

Got email from Olivia Mitchelle..wonder has she changed her tune since TIcknock:D

Parlimentary questions gone down about this for answer next tuesday when the Dail resumes:
    To ask the Minister for Justice, Mr McDowell:

If he will explain why the firearms licence fee has gone up by 50% even though the three year licence means that less Garda manhours are needed to administer it compared to the previous system?

Will the minister explain why shotgun licences cost €115 for a three-year period, with each subsequent shotgun on the licence costing €30; but an air rifle licence costs €170 and can only have one air rifle on it?

Given the obvious benefit to tourism that the 2012 Olympics represent, will the Minister explain why the firearms licence costs for foreign visitors (such as those teams coming to Ireland for pre-Olympic training camps) have been increased to €57 and why no free visitors’ permit mechanism has been created to encourage the tourism that competitive target shooting represents?

Also down for next week:
    • If his attention has been drawn to strong concerns expressed by the National Target Shooting Association regarding recent changes to firearms legislation and licensing systems; whether he will meet the NTSA; and if he will make a statement on the matter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Who has these questions down?

Ruairi Quinn Bond.

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Kryten

Billy Timmins has the best reply so far.

Just got the Joan Burton bulk email reply.:(
    Anyy suggestions,comments you would all like to add before I reply???:)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

why is it half the price in N.I. for nearly twice as long.

Is half a slice pan twice as expensive as a full one in N.I.

the government had a surplus budget last year, was the only reason for hiking the price becuase it hadn't been done in years. The gov. don't need the money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭maglite

this is the biggest thread on the forum post wise

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Sparks wrote:
    Ruairi Quinn Bond.
    Fair play to him so!

On a point of those who are supporting us on this issue. Could we post their email addys,so anyone can send them a collective thank you note for their support???
    Be nice to show our thanks and that they have our support.:)

Great!!!Just what we need!!! A FU£$Kin idiot goes and shoots up a college in the US.32 dead!!!Just watching 2fm news @23.30. The usual anti gun RTE
    slant with Mike Beard of the colation to stop gun violence been giving free regin.Dont bother asking the NRA:rolleyes:
    Watch this being used against us now on any radio show or whatever .:mad: :mad:

It's tragic and horriffic CG, but it has nothing to do with us. It's in a different jurisdiction, with different laws, and firearms owners in the US are far safer from curtailments in their rights because of the actions of a criminal even after this than we are here. It's not the NRA's press time on Irish television I'd be worrying about :(

You ,and I ,and us all know that Sparks.
    But do the Sheeple out there realise that?? It is the usual bleat; guns here or in the US ,Baaaaaddd.
    It is just the usual emotive media peg that anyone can hang this on of "Well you saw what happened in the US last week by a gun nut.And you now want Irish politicans to make it easier for you to have killing tools?"

It's just unfortunate timing again that some smarta@@e in the media can now take another cheap shot at us by linking the "look what happens in the US" arguement and one we want to watch out for if we do get media attention.:(

Got a nice response from Lisa McDonald about the increase, who is looking into it,

No response from any of the others who I emailed....

rrpc wrote:
    It's also on the news page of Rathdrum Rifle and Pistol Club at www.rathdrumrpc.org

Go to News, Latest News and it's top of the list!

We are in the process of getting our website overhauled..

Will have mention of it up as soon as the new site is ready. Should be by the end of this week.

I have been asked by Mr. Dick Roche, T.D., Minister for the Environment, Heritage and Local Government to refer to your recent email in connection with firearms licensing fees.

As this matter is more appropriate to the Department of Justice, Equality and Law Reform, your email has been forwarded to An Tanaiste, Mr. Michael McDowell T.D., for his attention.

Yours sincerely,

Dear Cathy,
    Please pass on our regards to the Minister and inform him that he has lost at least my personal vote for the upcoming election, as he is one of my local TDs; and given that there are approximately 8,000 firearms licences in Co.Wicklow, as well as seven major shooting clubs, that he has probably lost quote a few more votes than that, simply for not making representations on the behalf of these legitimate farmers, hunters and target shooters to the Minister for Justice.

Yours in Sport,

Well, can't win 'em all...

• Advertisement

Are you dropping in on McDowell in Trinity?

Advertisement