Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Licence Fee Increases - Shooters Quite Unhappy.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭flight93

Dear XXXXX,

To take your last point first. I agree that the target shooting
    community are extremely law abiding, and I am not sure where the extra
    charges came from, I believe that they were increased by
    administrators without any need for political direction from the
    Minister. I know I have seen it defended in the papers as a security
    issue but my personal belief is that it has more to do with budgetary
    matters within that section.

(Letter continues with other matters I raised)

Regards

Donal O'Siochain

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭flight93

My main point was about the increase in the licence fee, but this is the second letter I got back.

Dear XXXXXXX

You seem to be speaking a lot of sense about the firearms licences and
    I would be in favour of licencing the individual also. It seems to me
    that the European Firearms pass could be used here without worrying
    about our own licence. As an ex member of the FCA, and indeed a
    shooting team member, I would be very interested in presenting these
    views if elected. I would appreciate if you could contact memagain
    after the election as you can appreciate that I have very little time
    at present.

Regards

Donal O'Siochain

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Clare gunner

O Deas personal assistant rang me to confirm that they are taking this seriously and will modify this legislation after the election,if back in power.BUT they cant do much about it until after the election,and in the upcoming budget of 2008 they will put in that this liscense fee is reappraised or removed..Election promises or fact....?
    We shall wait and see.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭maglite

Removed?????

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Election promises or fact?
    Given his past record and his reputation within the party, I'd lean so far towards the former as to fall over.

• Advertisement

Another e mail from The Furhrer...er Tainiste... on this matter.
    Usual blah about why this came about.[Hasnt been increased since 92,in line with inflation,etc]
    And that it was not supposed to create hardship[Go tell THAT to the Marines:rolleyes: ] And that it wont be in force til 2008.[Tell us somthing we dont know!:( ]
    Also that he has been in consultation with two shooting organisations on this matter,and is considering bringing in a consultative panel "to bring together the revelant stakeholders on a structured basis." Nothing like calling a spade a manually powerd earth inverting horticultural impliment is there?:rolleyes:

So bottom line .We start to remind them of their election promises so freely made this early Spring before Dail recess for Summer and in Autumn when they return,by the same grassroots methods. We will belive them if we see it reduced in the Budget 2008,or OMOL for five years is introduced before Xmas 07

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭Banjax

I would imagine that a lot of guns will be falling into the slurry pit, falling out of the cab and under a plough, eaten by the dog and so on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭Dr Strange

McD's gone. As a German I don't know exactly about your politics here but as a shooter I would like to ask what is going to happen now, re. licence fee increases, etc. ?

Best,
    Preusse

Abwarten:rolleyes: Wait and see.It will take time for them to get around to sorting this out,but on the liscense fee increase,the budget 08 will tell alot,wether they will reduce or extend this to five years.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭Dr Strange

Abwarten:rolleyes: Wait and see.It will take time for them to get around to sorting this out,but on the liscense fee increase,the budget 08 will tell alot,wether they will reduce or extend this to five years.

Abwarten und Tee trinken, nicht wahr? ;)

He only got 2 weeks left as Tanaiste then, is that correct? I hope we can get something positive out of all this for our sport/hobby.

Best,
    Preusse

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

I am personally delighted :D:D:D Good Riddance McDowell

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭maglite

he departed for politics

so if/when there is another election held he will run yes?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭jaycee

maglite wrote:
    he departed for politics

so if/when there is another election held he will run yes?

He said he is retiring from "Public life" ... I quess that means no , or at least maybe not , unless he's asked , or if he feels it is in the "National Interest" ... or to use his own words on another matter.

"I never change my mind , but I may adjust my position in the light of new information" .... Go Figure..:confused:

I would have said that it makes little difference to us as noone expected him to be Minister for Justice after the election anyway, he'd be pushing for promotion if he'd kept his seat and stayed in power; but this may be the most risky scenario for us as now he can sign any SI he wants with impunity as he has nothing to lose.

And even if he doesn't, his framework of laws remains, giving whomever comes in as Minister for Justice complete effective control over the regulations governing our sport without Dail oversight or legal avenues for appeals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭jaycee

And even if he doesn't, his framework of laws remains, giving whomever comes in as Minister for Justice complete effective control over the regulations governing our sport without Dail oversight or legal avenues for appeals.

Exactly ..!

That in itself , deserves a review on the grounds that it removes the democratic right to appeal from the people. This falls under the "I told you so" area ... and be careful of "Stings from a dying wasp" .. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭ranger4

Hello all new to site not sure if this has been dicussed before but here goes, I shoot a blaser lrs2 in 243 and 308 and was interested in aquiring extra barrels thinking that i could get them ammended on exsisting licence like a subsequent shotgun licence with spare barrels on the same cert but no joy, Local garda says that i will have to make a new application i tried to argue the point about subsequent barrels for shotguns on same cert but he was having none of it so i rang department of justice on issue and they said that because the barrel is classed as a firearms component that it needs a Licence i tried to get a explination on how the shotgun barrel didnt need to have a seperate licence but got no responce has anyone incounterd this ripoff and ifso is there any movement on the issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

ranger4 wrote:
    Hello all new to site not sure if this has been dicussed before but here goes, I shoot a blaser lrs2 in 243 and 308 and was interested in aquiring extra barrels thinking that i could get them ammended on exsisting licence like a subsequent shotgun licence with spare barrels on the same cert but no joy, Local garda says that i will have to make a new application i tried to argue the point about subsequent barrels for shotguns on same cert but he was having none of it so i rang department of justice on issue and they said that because the barrel is classed as a firearms component that it needs a Licence i tried to get a explination on how the shotgun barrel didnt need to have a seperate licence but got no responce has anyone incounterd this ripoff and ifso is there any movement on the issue.

you have to get seperate license, very sh1tty isn't it, but there is no give in them, the law is the law

Reason you do not need xtra liscenses for the shotgun barrels is they are for the same calibre.IE a 12Ga slug barrel for a12 Ga shotgun.It isnt a different calibre.Thats the problem with the rifles.Plus it is a bigger money spinner for the Govt.

Clare gunner, The spare rifle barrel is same cal 243 as exsisting licence but with a faster twist to stablize the 105g lapuas for long range target shooting just might give this one another shot with dept justice:D

An aside, did McDowell manage to sign any SI's before he left the DOJ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

So, Brian Lenihan.

Bond-007 wrote:
    An aside, did McDowell manage to sign any SI's before he left the DOJ?
    Quite a lot, but none to do with the CJA2006, unless they were signed On literally his last day in office.

Civ, I don't know much about Lenihan, you?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Is he in your area lads if so meet the fella.

Ok do we start another e-mail letter sending campaign asap?

I think we should sell it from 2 fronts.
    It is easier to track every person that has a legal gun than the guns themselves. It will probably go from over 200,000 firearms to over 100,000 firearms owners
    And hugely reduced garda labour.

So it is easier for everyone involved and frees up garda time. Who doesn't want to be the minister who brings this to the table.

Veg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 atals77

Brian Lenihan.
    Anybody know if he is anti-gun or just neutral. I hardly think he is pro-shooting.
    I'd hate to see all the progress made in the last couple of years go on the whim of a minister now that he has the power to ban any calibre he likes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

If he's like his father he'll be straight, decent, honourable and a good listener.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭triskell

Vegeta wrote:
    Is he in your area lads if so meet the fella.

Ok do we start another e-mail letter sending campaign asap?

Veg
    I'm inclined to agree, we need to get the ball rolling asap so that he's aware that this is still a very hot issue, if we sit on our hands a new guy might just ignore what has gone on over the last few months and stick to the old script.
    I knew his father, a very honorable man (speaking from my own experience with him)

Could anyone give info on licencing a spare rifle barrel of same cal to exsisting cert, Has anyone managed to actually have their spare rifle barrel on same cert thus avoiding extra licence fee, I have posted thread on subject but am not having much luck with finding other spare barrel shooters to help and exchange views, The barrel in question is a 243 cal 1 in 8 twist LRS2 for shooting 105-107g VLD type bullets along with my 1 in 10 twist licenced rifle for Long range target shooting, has any other blaser or switch barrel owners incounterd this problem.

You need a new licence for a new barrel. Money making racket for the govt me thinks.

Bond 007, yep its a pure ripoff especialy when you can get a spare "subsequent shotgun barrel amended to exsisting licence but not a spare rifle barrel, But possibly if this point was raised to department of justice by a lot of rifle shooters something might happen, I did try raising this point with them but was only speaking to a cleark so it went no further wonder who would be best to approach on this unfair subject.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,397 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Tourist rip off as well, €57.00 for a yearly pistol/revolver and rifle, so much for encouraging international competition to Ireland

Eh?

I can bring a firearm into the country as a tourist? Damn, I'd bring my SIG or FAL. Could charge people E3 each to shoot them, get my money back! I'm still packing for my flight, I might find room for the pistol and chequebook... :P
    I would imagine that a lot of guns will be falling into the slurry pit, falling out of the cab and under a plough, eaten by the dog and so on.

Here in the US, we have the phrase "Lost in a Tragic Boating Accident" used specifically to describe the correct response when the constabulary knock on your door looking for those rifles which have become illegal since you bought them.

NTM

Advertisement