Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Licence Fee Increases - Shooters Quite Unhappy.

Options
1101112131416»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Clare gunner

Yeah,and the one I heard in Kalifornia when the AWB came in there was lost in a desert off road.However knowing our lot they would proably waste thousands of euros to get out police scuba divers to go find it in the lake or the ocean to make sure you were telling the truth.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,472 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

T'would be nice to put forward an obsolete list like in the UK,
    that would take a few sniders and the like of the list of registered firearms.
    Or at the very least charge less than a full rifle license for a firearm that wont ever be used.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭ivanthehunter

When does this start:confused: you know one license which lasts for 3 years??? is it this year

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

According to article by Des Crofton in the Shooters Journal, new fee will be ~€66 per firearm for 3 years, irrespective of what type it is. The DoJ are offsetting inflationary costs against cost savings due to less frequent renewals. Looks like a good job by all concerned in the FCP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

When is this being implemented?

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

FLAG wrote: »
    Get this this Firearms Training cert aimed at 14 year olds and above, €170 for a rifle/pistol/revolver and €115.00 for a shotgun. Kinda defeats the purpose of introducing young people to the sport:

Just seeing this bit now.
    I was under the impression that no one was to profit from yougsters getting a training cert. Who is charging €115 for waht sort of cert. It's my understanding that the training was being left to the individual disciplines to organise. NARGC for game shooters, ICPSA for clay shooters etc etc. Is there supposed to be some official govt. body getting involved in training? Can't see that happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭V Bull

civdef wrote: »
    new fee will be ~€66 per firearm for 3 years, irrespective of what type it is.

Yes, I have heard that the new licence fee will be €66 per firearm, ie, for each rifle, for each pistol and for EACH shotgun.

That's gona hurt some people hard in the pocket

I will have a saving of €57 over a 3 year period. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

Well done to FCP ? what about one licence with everything on it ?

what about one licence with everything on it ?
    Would it speed up the application process for subsequent firearms?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

V Bull wrote: »
    Yes, I have heard that the new licence fee will be €66 per firearm, ie, for each rifle, for each pistol and for EACH shotgun.

That's gona hurt some people hard in the pocket

It's cheaper than it was before at €22 per firearm per year and a great deal less than was entered in the finance bill. There was no justification for subsequent shotguns to be less than the first one, I certainly couldn't figure out why you should get a reduction for having more shotguns.

Training licences will be half price and should be for a category rather than a particular firearm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

rrpc wrote: »
    It's cheaper than it was before at €22 per firearm per year and a great deal less than was entered in the finance bill. There was no justification for subsequent shotguns to be less than the first one, I certainly couldn't figure out why you should get a reduction for having more shotguns.

Training licences will be half price and should be for a category rather than a particular firearm.

€20 of the €26 for a shotgun is for a game licence eg to shoot pheasant etc. Therefore, if you had two licences you only paid for game licence on one. Or farmers could ger a €6 licence for shooting vermin on their land.

Is this happening this year?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭J.R.

€20 of the €26 for a shotgun is for a game licence eg to shoot pheasant etc. Therefore, if you had two licences you only paid for game licence on one. Or farmers could ger a €6 licence for shooting vermin on their land.

As far as I was aware you could only shoot game with the shotgun you paid €26 .....all the other shotguns at €6 were clays or vermin

A limited shotgun licence was €6, second and subsequent shotgun was €6 - this was only allowed for an unlimited shotgun licence which was €25.

One limited licence per holding was the limit, so you had an anomaly whereby some people with a limited licence were getting a subsequent licence for €6 as well. The distinction on their first licence was not always clear to FO's.

There is a further anomaly because as bunny pointed out, if the majority of the licence fee for an unlimited shotgun was a game permit, clay shooters were paying for it as well.

The only real losers here are the farmers with the limited shotgun licence only. The majority of shotgun owners usually hold a rifle of some sort as well, so the increased cost of the shotgun is offset by the decrease for the rifle.

In reality though, everyone wins because not only have the increases proposed in the Finance Act last February gone, but the overall cost has gone down for the majority of firearms owners out there as well.

Just to remind you what the proposed increases were:

Rifle/Pistol/Training Certificate - €170 for 3 years, €56.66 for one year.
    Unlimited Shotgun - €115 for 3 years, €38.33 for one year
    Limited/Subsequent shotgun - €30 for 3 years, €10 for one year

To recap (annual licence fee):

Current ---- Last Feb ---- Proposed
    €38
    €56.66
    €22
    Rifle/Pistol
    N/A
    €56.66
    €11
    Training Licence
    €25
    €38.33
    €22
    Unlimited Shotgun
    €6
    €10.00
    €22
    Limited Shotgun

Still hurts the farmer, but if the farmer also has a rifle then his cost has gone from €44 --- €66.66
    €44 :)

The chap with an unlimited and subsequent shottie has gone from:
    €31
    €48.33
    €44

Also it means less trips to the station to renew certs which is always a good thing. Is there any commencement date for these new fees? August 1 2008?

Bond-007 wrote: »
    Also it means less trips to the station to renew certs which is always a good thing. Is there any commencement date for these new fees? August 1 2008?

It could well be. I wouldn't really know, but it's not unfeasible that they could have it in place by then.

Advertisement