Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

wierd noise

Options
  • 06-04-2007 1:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,893 ✭✭✭

Hi all
    have a 1.9td volvo s40, drove to work today, parked at red cow, coming home and a really strange noise coming from car.. it sounds like a gust of whistling air coming from the engine or something like that but only happens when i accelerate hard. i.e going up through the gears, when i hold my speed the engine noise is normal, anyone got any idea what this mite be before i go to the garage in the morning?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Bradidup

It could possibly be a fan / alternator belt on its way out, they often split up and make weird noises.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Hi all
    have a 1.9td volvo s40, drove to work today, parked at red cow, coming home and a really strange noise coming from car.. it sounds like a gust of whistling air coming from the engine or something like that but only happens when i accelerate hard. i.e going up through the gears, when i hold my speed the engine noise is normal, anyone got any idea what this mite be before i go to the garage in the morning?

I'm taking a complete guess here but maybe a problem with the turbo?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,893 ✭✭✭patrickc

I was hoping it's not the turbo thats very expensive to fix i hear, alternator belt/fan are they pricey to replace?

Best let the mechanic look at it first.

i will in the morning, just i know mechanic's frequent boards alot, and i know it's hard to diagnose without looking/listening but on the off chance i said I'd post

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Bradidup

I was hoping it's not the turbo thats very expensive to fix i hear, alternator belt/fan are they pricey to replace?

Probably around e25 at the most for a spurious (not genuine) from a factors. You would pay more from a Volvo dealer for the genuine one.

hopefully it's something simple so.....

it's a hole in the pipe that connects the turbo to the airfilter.. try getting that part today!!!

it's a hole in the pipe that connects the turbo to the airfilter.. try getting that part today!!!

It's not too bad so.

no it could of been a lot worse, a mechanic is going to duct tape it tomorrow he said that will suffice until I can order the part

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,280 ✭✭✭✭Esel

it sounds like a gust of whistling air...only happens when i accelerate hard
    it's a hole in the pipe that connects the turbo to the air filter.. try getting that part today!!!

I am impressed with your accurate description! A lot better than some of the noise 'descriptions' people post here and still hope for a diagnosis.

Not your ornery onager

ah i've read some of the diagnostic definitions here before, so I tried to be as accurate as possible:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭macnab

The noise you describe sounds like a break in the exhaust, maybe a clamp has come loose or you may have snagged it on a kerb.

macnab wrote:
    The noise you describe sounds like a break in the exhaust, maybe a clamp has come loose or you may have snagged it on a kerb.
    Read the thread? I'm guessing not.

Not your ornery onager

macnab wrote:

according to the mechanic and the pipe i saw its a big hole in the turbo pipe..

got it fixed 2day 52 for the pipe, 20 to get fitted, apparently its happening to a few volvos recently the heats supposed to cause it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 332 ✭✭FOGOFUNK

dunno, some people would keep it like that, one big obnoxious wastegate, except on the wrong side of the turbine!

some glanza heads would anyway.

nothing against glanza owners i swear.

FOGOFUNK wrote:
    dunno, some people would keep it like that, one big obnoxious wastegate, except on the wrong side of the turbine!

some glanza heads would anyway.

nothing against glanza owners i swear.

im sure sum wud love it without the power loss

im sure sum wud love it without the power loss

Txt speak is not FTW on boards. ;)

Not your ornery onager

esel wrote:
    Txt speak is not FTW on boards. ;)

ah the odd word here and there wont kill anyone..

• Advertisement
Advertisement