Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Digiweb - issue loading web pages (slow)

Options
  • 06-04-2007 9:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭

Hi all,

I'm hoping someone can offer some suggestions here. I've been having an issue with the time it takes to load web pages, although download speeds are fine. I am on Digiweb Metro Plus (5mb).

The issue is especially bad at evenings and weekends. Early in the morning it seems fine. I have cleared temporary internet files, changed my wireless router and even formatted my PC. The issue affects all laptops / PCs in the house. Connecting to the modem directly (without using router) does not help the issue.

Digiweb Support have checked my connection and say that there is no issue. The only thing I have noticed is that I am unable to ping Digiweb's DNS servers. Could this be the source of my problem? My DNS setup is as follows:

1) Digiweb DNS #1
    2) Digiweb DNS #2
    3) OpenDNS

I can ping the OpenDNS servers but as I have said, not Digiweb's servers. Does anyone have any suggestions or things I can try to isolate the issue? Also, can anyone else on Digiweb Metro please try to ping Digiweb's DNS servers (83.147.160.2 & 83.147.160.2) to see if they get a response?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Those DNS servers may have ping requests disabled.

Can you try doing a Trace Route to a website, say www.google.ie

Open the comand prompt (start - run - cmd) and type in

tracert www.google.ie

Maybe post the results here, to see were the delay is.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

also make sure that your browser , if internet explorer, is OK and not infested with something . If you have not downloaded firefox then do so now and try the same pages.

If the page loads behave better in firefox you better start cleaning your system up.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Yes various Digiweb servers do not respond to pings as DDOS attack prevention.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭trant

Thanks lads, I will perform a traceroute when I get home.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

I suspect it may not be this, but have you passed your cap?

Check at http://mytraffic.digiweb.ie/

They throttle if you do.

My digiweb is fine today.

• Advertisement

Hi Jumpy,

Thanks for your reply. Plenty of downloads left before I reach my cap.

Thanks for the input though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭FastFullBack

Jumpy wrote:
    I suspect it may not be this, but have you passed your cap?

Check at http://mytraffic.digiweb.ie/

They throttle if you do.

My digiweb is fine today.

Sorry what do you mean by throttle your broadband?

Sorry what do you mean by throttle your broadband?
    If you exceed your download limit, fair usage and a rolling 30 day limit would mean you would surf a reduced speed until you are back in the green.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

^ This. I think its 64k

Jumpy wrote:
    ^ This. I think its 64k
    When I was restricted it, it was double that, enough for browsing.

Keep an eye on the http://mytraffic.digiweb.ie/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Orange69

I had the same issue, I fixed it by increasing the mtu size on my router and using openDNS servers as my primary DNS servers.

I think digiweb may have some issues with dns.

Things have been working great for me since i made the changes above.

Hi there,

Thanks for the reply. Out of interest what did you increase your MTU to? Might try this later.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭FastFullBack

zabbo wrote:
    If you exceed your download limit, fair usage and a rolling 30 day limit would mean you would surf a reduced speed until you are back in the green.

Thanks for this.
    Check there terms and condition and see what you meant by fair usage?
    So the download cap covers both download and upload? I thought it was only download?

Orange69 wrote:
    I had the same issue, I fixed it by increasing the mtu size on my router and using openDNS servers as my primary DNS servers.

I think digiweb may have some issues with dns.

Things have been working great for me since i made the changes above.
    DNS has been fine all week in Limerick. Same Digiweb DNS as everyone else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Orange69

I increased by mtu size to 1400..

Before i changed over to openDNS pages would take ages to load and sometimes i would get a page not found even though the page was available.. I would need to refresh a coupe of times and then the page would appear. It was terribly frustrating..

Everything is fine now though..

Unless there is someting wrong with your router you should not have to change MTU. For Metro the factory defaults will work.

Hi,

Thanks for all the tips. I obtained my correct MTU using the link above (which happened to be 1500 anyway) and changed my DNS servers to OpenDNS completely. Speeds are much better since this. Looks like Digiweb have some issues with their DNS servers.

Thanks for all your help.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,499 ✭✭✭blobert

I've noticed that web browsing has been very slow for the last week or so, I emailed Digiweb who told me that the problem should be fixed shortly.

Incidently, how do I "increase the mtu size on my router" ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭ricey

web pages have always been slow for me with digiweb.

Is that not because you were throttled for downloading 7 terabyte? :D , Ricey

• Advertisement

blobert wrote:
    I've noticed that web browsing has been very slow for the last week or so, I emailed Digiweb who told me that the problem should be fixed shortly.

Incidently, how do I "increase the mtu size on my router" ?

a) It may have no effect or "break" your connection
    b) Your router may not have the setting
    c) 1500 is high. Unless told to you should not increase MTU
    d) DECREASING MTU is more likely to speed up a connection if MTU too large. If MTU is inreased too much (say 1600) either each packet is broken in two and sent with 800 if the real MTU is 1492, and connection will slow a lot, or it stops working.
    e) MTU setting should be automatic
    f) 1492 is often the MTU with DSL or PPoE. Although other systems may support 1500, you won't notice the difference if you are at 1492. If the system does not support 1500, then increasing it is bad.
    g) Dialup may automatically change it to about 596
    h) Some routers after a firmaware update may display a certian MTU size from before, but actually using a completely different MTU. In such a case changing it lower or higher, save, reboot and change it back, save reboot fixes it.
    Generally you should never manually edit MTU unless your ISP tells you to.
    It is the NETWORK /ISP provider that decides real MTU, not your modem or Router or ethernet card. Your MTU should be the same or lower.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭ricey

No i keep to my limits these days :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

They may even have introduced that throttler rollinger yoke of theirs specifically because of you ricey :D

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭brianbruff

watty wrote:
    DNS has been fine all week in Limerick. Same Digiweb DNS as everyone else.

howdy mike,
    i'm sure you have an ethernet router? what one do you recommend, want to get a lan working for the brother in law and didiweb won't even recommend an ethernet router!

tnx
    brian.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,050 ✭✭✭✭event

http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?sku=306149

they wont recommend one in case it doesnt work

Advertisement