Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What a Pipe

Options
  • 06-04-2007 11:18am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14

I was in UCD at 19:00 yesterday evening finishing off a lab, and saw the internet was surprisingly fast whilst I uploaded some work to sendpace. I decided to run the speed test on the Blackknight site.

It came out at 25 Mbit/s!

Now that is a pipe.

Couldn't think of anything to download, so went home and sat in the sun. Was fun while it lasted!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

Indeed. It's always that fast. It's limited to http traffic only (well, unless you know how to get around it ;)), but it's still fantastic for getting things like Linux distros or stuff from msdn.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,968 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

There on HEAnet so they more then lightly have a gig connection to the net so thats pretty slow actually;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

LoGiE wrote:
    There on HEAnet so they more then lightly have a gig connection
    AFAIK they have 3 400Mbit pipes, although it would be slightly insane if they didn't restrict it. 25 is pretty generous in fairness.

HEAnet details

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

Blowfish wrote:
    It's limited to http traffic only
    Unless you have a staff machine... ah the days of BT going at 3000kbps.... :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 662 ✭✭✭Ba$tard

looking at that heanet stats is seriously impressively scary.

I was once remotely connected to a redundant blade farm in a DMZ with 4x 2.25gig connections, each connection running ~70% utilization and 2 hotspare on-demand links ready to burst into life.

I was tempted to use a single 2-cpu blade as a Counterstrike server :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement