Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Studying languages

Options
  • 06-04-2007 11:20am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19

Which is the best college to study French.. or Spanish.. or Irish??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭nervous_twitch

I'm currently studying French/Spanish in TCD, and had Irish/French as my 2nd choice.

Em, while Trinity doesnt have the greatest rep for its language courses, I have found it fine - tbh, I dont think any college is really going to be significantly "better" than any other as far as languages go, because it all depends on your own ability. If you have a knack for them, you'll fare well wherever you end up.

Also, more than likely, it will be time spent in your country of study that will improve your abilities, over summer and whatnot, rather than the institute itself which can only do so much!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭embraer170

I did French in UCC so if you have any questions...

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭Micamaca

Hey there,

I'm studying french and german in dcu. I don't think the level is great as we are all at different levels in french so it's difficult to see yourself making progress sometimes.

We're studying business french this year which is more about how things work in France which is interesting.
    I started German at ab initio level so we're all in the same boat there so you find yourself making more progress because you're learning so much in the first year. You can study spanish here too as part of a few programmes. Not sure about Irish with another language, you'd have to check the prospectus for that.
    I agree a knack is handy for languages but no-one is good at languages without some hard graft so if you put in the work learning vocab and grammar rules you can be good too. I think studying two is just as easy as one, as your brain becomes accustomed to opening itself to the rules...even though they don't always make sense :)
    I'm off to Germany in September so that's another bonus of a degree in languages. :D

Love languages though, they're so alive!

Advertisement