Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any news on Riverfest?

Options
  • 06-04-2007 11:23am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭

Any news on who's playing and what's going on at this years Riverfest?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,821 ✭✭✭irishproduce

When is it starting?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

Riverfest runs from May 1st to May 7th.

Other than that I know nothing about what is happening. Eightball are very slow giving out information on upcoming festivals, which is pretty sloppy. What is going to be happening should have been in the public domain ages ago in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭talkingclock

I bet it's the ususal: French Market at Bank Place on Bank HOliday Weekend and sitting in front of the Locke Bar. As last year, and the year before, and before the year before. The Locke Festival, rellay...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭limerick_man

Thats only one aspect Talking Clock, thats the food side of it!

Which is back again this year, the Saturday of the World BBQ will be as it has been in the past few years, but the Sunday will have professional chefs. And the European Market...

Last years extreme sports demos in our parks and on the river and along the quays of the Shannon last year will grow into a full 'festival of urban sports'.

The Budweiser Global Beats music trail will be back this year, bringing music from around the world to the Treaty City. Last year there were over 30 gigs, most of which were free.

River.Fringe is also back, the cities latest Fringe Festival which will have performances from local, national and international acts play Limerick (Including Tops Odessey).

New this year is River.Kids which i expect will be a number of activities for kids.

As well as that, expect street theatre.... Firework Display (probably on Sunday night)....... Mayors Ball & dozens of other events... Eightball do, for some reason, keep this very hush until the last minute...

*edit* just after finding out David Gray is one of this years headline acts, he'll be playing the Saturday in UCH */edit*

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭ellenmelon

Which is back again this year, the Saturday of the World BBQ will be as it has been in the past few years, but the Sunday will have professional chefs. And the European Market...

Last years extreme sports demos in our parks and on the river and along the quays of the Shannon last year will grow into a full 'festival of urban sports'.

The Budweiser Global Beats music trail will be back this year, bringing music from around the world to the Treaty City. Last year there were over 30 gigs, most of which were free.

River.Fringe is also back, the cities latest Fringe Festival which will have performances from local, national and international acts play Limerick (Including Tops Odessey).

New this year is River.Kids which i expect will be a number of activities for kids.

As well as that, expect street theatre.... Firework Display (probably on Sunday night)....... Mayors Ball & dozens of other events... Eightball do, for some reason, keep this very hush until the last minute...

*edit* just after finding out David Gray is one of this years headline acts, he'll be playing the Saturday in UCH */edit*

fair f*cks to them, it sounds great and id say they learnt a lot from last year eh. im looking forward to heading back to give them a hand with it all when im qualified and more able to be more of a help to them... :) david gray? excellent. its exciting to think what this festival could be in a couple of years aye!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭vkid

that David Gray show is sold out according to an ad in the Sunday Indo? Didnt even hear about it!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,491 ✭✭✭sioda

Bring on the potatoes provencial god they are the greatest hangover cure ever

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

wow david gray thats fairly impressive for this thing
    riverfest is getting bigger and bigger every year yet ive still to attend

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Limerick Dude

well tbh he is doing a tour of ireland, i think its just a coincidence that his gig is on the same week as riverfest, i seriously doubt David Gray was like "OMG i so have to play Riverfest! event of the year for sure! " :rolleyes:

How often has a tour of Ireland brought anyone to Limerick? Hell Bell x1 did a 7 city/town tour of Ireland, even that managed to escape the treaty city. Generally those touring Ireland go to Dublin, Belfast, Cork, Kilarney (sometimes Galway, Kilkenny THEN Limerick).

Its unlikely David Gray was approached by UCH, only time actual 'pop acts' come to UCH is when Eightball book the venue and bring the artist to the city.

• Advertisement

How often has a tour of Ireland brought anyone to Limerick? Hell Bell x1 did a 7 city/town tour of Ireland, even that managed to escape the treaty city. Generally those touring Ireland go to Dublin, Belfast, Cork, Kilarney (sometimes Galway, Kilkenny THEN Limerick).

Its unlikely David Gray was approached by UCH, only time actual 'pop acts' come to UCH is when Eightball book the venue and bring the artist to the city.

what he said ^.

eightball are making good relationships with major irish and foreign artists and this is shown when they get a major uk artist to come to limerick when he was maybe only going to do belfast/dublin/galway/cork/killarney? or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

What extreme sports was there, What did I miss?

I know there was some kids going up some small ramps on BMX's and
    a bloke selling skate board stuff from a van. Dunno if that
    would be classed as an extreme sport but maybe
    slightly different to the norm.

I also waited 2 hours for some poeple to set up a bundgy jump
    over the river but the crew just arsed about the place. I wanted
    to give it a try but was not waiting about all day long for them
    to get set up. That would have been border line extreme dunno
    if its classed as a sport.

The guys that I do fencing with usually do a demo like
    some stick fighting/foil but again tis not too extreme only
    a bit different to the norm.

~B

bullets wrote:
    What extreme sports was there, What did I miss?

I know there was some kids going up some small ramps on BMX's and
    a bloke selling skate board stuff from a van. Dunno if that
    would be classed as an extreme sport but maybe
    slightly different to the norm.

I also waited 2 hours for some poeple to set up a bundgy jump
    over the river but the crew just arsed about the place. I wanted
    to give it a try but was not waiting about all day long for them
    to get set up. That would have been border line extreme dunno
    if its classed as a sport.

The guys that I do fencing with usually do a demo like
    some stick fighting/foil but again tis not too extreme only
    a bit different to the norm.

~B

pretty much everything for the sunday was rained out last year. the bungy crew were a bit iffy setting up with the weather conditions being what they were i think.
    with the fencing thing, definately get onto one of the eightball lads and offer your services. that would be a really different thing for people to see..im sure they could slot you in somewhere over the weekend. my school had it as an option for phys.ed. and good christ did my legs BUUURN. lol.

On Saturday in Arthurs Quay Park they had the entire park taken over by BMX's and Skateboarders... which was watched by crowds of thousands.
    On the river over both days people were battleing the Curragher Falls and a ramp was set up for people to get intoa kayak and fly off it into the river.

On Sunday people who raised money for charity Bungee Jumped over the Shannon, they did so for over an hour, but it wasnt opened up for general public because of the weather...

Also along the quays they set up courses with mountins of mud and haystacks as well as obsticles, but in the end no official events took place on it because of the weather, although.. many bikers went at it before the crews came in to take it down.

As well as those there were the zap cats and the circus on crusis street, but of which were fairly danagerous...

Advertisement