Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Brake pedal vibration

Options
  • 06-04-2007 12:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭

Can someone confirm that I am right or wrong here please.

When I brake hard I can feel a vibration in the brake pedal, like its shaking.

Would I be right in saying that the Brake Capliers are loose.

I had the car serviced recenty by Opel, they dont me that they cleaned the brakes, I was wondering if they loosen up something while doing it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,257 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

I dont think you would feel a loose caliper through the pedal, are you sure its not just a normal vibration. Does it have ABS?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

if the pedal is pumping in and out when u brake it could be ABS working as it should.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭SGKM

I've got the same problem with my pajero. I've had it checked by the mechanic and he said that its just the ABS. But I'm not so sure it still happens under hard braking. I've driven other cars with ABS and the brakes dont feel anything like mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭Dermo123

You may also have warped discs?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

I'd be very surprised if it wasn't ABS. The vibrating pedal is just to let you know that the ABS has kicked in. Otherwise because ABS does such a good job of preventing the wheels locking up you would never know the wheels were almost locking up and ou wouldn't adjust your driving accordingly.

ie. If you are driving on a nice dry road and have to jam on for a particular reason like a dog running out in front of you, well then you don't need the pedal vibration to tell you that the abs kicked in to prevent lock up when you jammed on.

If however one was driving on a damp road say and you just tried to slow down normally coming up to a traffic light. Cue Pedal Vibration. Aha! I wasn't braking hard and my abs kicked in. Roads must be greasy. I better slow down and give myself more room to brake.

Of course the ABS doesn't know why the wheels locked up be it under hard braking on a dry road or progressive braking on a damp greasy road. It just knows the wheels just tried to lock up, so it vibrates the pedals no matter what whenever the ABS kicks in. Sometimes you already know that it'll probably kick in and why it then did. (Jamming on). Sometimes you need to know it has kicked in so you can adjust your driving.(progressive braking on a greasy road)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Can you hear any noise from the ABS control unit?

How hard is hard? Emergency stop or just quickly stopping?

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭layke

If you don't have ABS check your brake fluid levels.

When were the brakes last serviced?

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

I never feel any vibration from my abs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭Enygma

Brake hard over some gravel and you should feel it kicking back at you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

mike65 wrote:
    Can you hear any noise from the ABS control unit?

How hard is hard? Emergency stop or just quickly stopping?

Mike.

Hard braking as in Emergency stop braking. Funny you should say ABS, because I have felt the ABS kick in a few times before this and there is a shaking alright.

This shaking is just a bit heavier, and I was just wondering.

The hand brake was adjusted about 2k miles ago and the front brake cleaned by the Opel Dealer. Maybe its just tighted everything up, the brakes especially the hand brake felt alot tighter when I got it back from them.

I drive a 1999 Opel Astra by the way. As per the sig.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭mmenarry

Sounds suspiciously like the ABS kicking in, maybe things are just a little "looser" than they used to be, like bushings, shocks, and so on.

Does it feel "harsh" (ABS) or more like a soft-ish pulsing of the pedal? Warped discs often give a feathery pulsing feel.

M.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

mmenarry wrote:
    Does it feel "harsh" (ABS) or more like a soft-ish pulsing of the pedal? Warped discs often give a feathery pulsing feel.

M.

It feels harsh, as if when you brake hard and it starts your like "O FECK", the brakes are gone or something.

So am brake to keep on driving in peoples "opinion".

I think its the ABS to be honest.

Thanks guys for putting my mind at ease.

Kluivert

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭pwee

Get it checked for gods sake. Just because someone online says its abs doesn't mean it actually is. Think safety please at all times, what happens if your brakes go at 60mph coming into a bend? I'm not getting narky just trying to keep you safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Warped discs - I'd put money on it.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭kikel

I'd say the disks are warped. You get such a noticeable vibration because the ABS works to extremes trying to control the effects of the disk being warped.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

I'd go with crosstownk on this one. Take out your ABS fuses temporarily and see if the problem is still there.

Warped discs feel will cause the pedal to pulse contantly to varying degrees, and at all times.

ABS will not always be there, and the pulsing will be irregular.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭Moanin

I'd go with warped disks.I had the same problem on one of my cars.Replaced the disks and it was sorted.It was particularly noticiable at slower speeds

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

Anyone ever drive a Land Rover Discovery 1999-2005 model? The ABS kicks in very easily and it is VERY, VERY noticeable!! The first time it happened to me there was a huge crunching sound along with a dreadful pulsing under my right foot. Other cars have varying levels of intrusion/vibration but the Discovery was the worst I have ever experienced, I still liked the car though.
    If the vibration was to be caused by warped discs the steering would also vibrate under braking. Does the steering wheel vibrate under braking?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Good point JHMEG no ABS fuse and you'll know quick enough.

Mike.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭kikel

Lads, I have a similar on my car. I was convince it was warped disks. I took out the ABS fuse and went for a spin. I'm not 100% sure but maybe the problem is with the ABS rather than the disks. I'll do a proper check tomorrow morning when the roads are a quieter.

• Advertisement
Advertisement