Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Windows XP will not open.

• 06-04-2007 1:39pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭

Hey,
    After attempting to download XP service pack 2 last night, Windows recommended I first back up certain files before I continued. So after that while trying to install, halfway through, the computer just shut down.
    After I turned it back on, it said windows had recovered from a serious error.

Tried installing service pack again and the same thing happened but now I can't get back into windows.
    It won't work under any of the options; safe mode, normal or last known good configuration. It gets as far as the black title screen for XP and then cuts out and restarts. Just before it cuts out, a message on a blue background comes up, but doesn't stay long enough to read.

Anyone any ideas on how to get into windows? My sister wants to use it for college work!
    Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

Have you got the XP CD that you can boot from ?

If so boot it and run the recovery console and use this command;

chkdsk c: /p

After that finishes try

fixboot

now reboot the machine and see if it boots

It could be a driver problem or bad RAM that caused the reboots.

If you are really stuck you could using the XP CD run the installer and choose repair install which may sort the problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭cashback

Thanks 8T8, i'll try it if I can find the windows cd.

Would running repair install wipe any data from my computer?

Anyway i'll try what you said. Though I think I'm in over my head here!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

No a repair wont wipe the personal data it will copy the system files back over again for XP it should remove the partial service pack as well.

Two guides showing how to start the repair option.

Advertisement