Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amateur Movie made in Letterkenny

• 06-04-2007 2:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭

Here's a short movie myself and my friends made in Letterkenny. You don't really see any of the town until the final shot, but it might be of interest to someone here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hXJiZLH7N2o

It's the story of a man who gets into debt and finds his childhood aspirations slipping away.

Not exactly a laugh-riot, but I hope you enjoy it.

Here's a download link as well
    http://rapidshare.com/files/24321279/kojakwmv.wmv

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,281 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Here's a short movie myself and my friends made in Letterkenny. You don't really see any of the town until the final shot, but it might be of interest to someone here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hXJiZLH7N2o

It's the story of a man who gets into debt and finds his childhood aspirations slipping away.

Not exactly a laugh-riot, but I hope you enjoy it.

Here's a download link as well
    http://rapidshare.com/files/24321279/kojakwmv.wmv

No harm to you riker but if you have a full time job - stick to it. I certainly wouldnt be entertained by that.

Anyway, apart from the fact that Letterkenny is mentioned in your post I fail to see what it has to offer the North West forum.

Moved to the films forum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Not too bad for an amateur effort, I thought. Acting is better than you usually see in stuff like this.

To be critical, it feels like only part of a story (no indication as to why he's in dept, etc.), the sound recording leaves much to be desired (an important and often over-looked aspect in achieving any kind of professional feel to a film) and there's a noticeable ~2 second pause at about 5:20. Looks like an editing mistake.

Aside from that, and for what it is - an armature five-minute video - it's good enough I think :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭hottstuff

The camera work sort of ruins what could have been a lot better.
    Nice effort anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

I liked it! It could be tightened up a little to improve the flow. The lighting is really poor* in some scenes, acting is quite good, camera is a real let-down.

In a lot of instances, a tripod should have been used to prevent shaking. Also, the focus is atrocious in parts, was this deliberate?

In the scene leading up to the burglary (3 mins 58 s), the light from the camera is reflected in the lead actors lenses. Something to be aware of.

Overall, I enjoyed it, well written, good use of available locations, nicely acted.

*I realise that lighting can be tricky without a good budget

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

The performances really are pretty damn good.

But as has been said... editing, camera and sound need a lot of work.

No need for all that slow zooming in and out. Try sitting down and watching a film and pay attention to the way the camera is used and how it is edited.

And maybe have a go at filming and editing together something simple like a person making a cup of tea before moving onto filming more ambitious stuff like this.

But well done on giving it a go and feel free to ask any questions around the forum if you need any tips.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭rikerdonegal

Cheers for all the feedback, folks. Very much appreciated.

Been suggested (by an agent) that I contact a media college and pay a couple of lads to come along some Saturday (with the proper equipment) and re-shoot it.

Sounds like a plan to me!

Thanks, again, for taking the time to give feedback. We're grateful.

Advertisement