Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Where is the Masters??????

• 06-04-2007 4:59pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭

Hey all,

So sitting down to enjoy the masters, i've got every sport channel known to man................and........where......is.......it??????

one of the biggest sporting events in the world and its not on the box???

anyone help me out here??

thanks

rs

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 16,592 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

it's on from 9pm on bbc. can get some coverage online until then. They keep tight control of the rights and how the coverage is done. It's always been the same way more or less.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,271 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

It's on BBC 2 at nine, but don't know about any other station.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭romperstomper

dammit, sky sports, setanta eurosports useless????????

why do beeb only start @ 9pm?? they tee off in the morning!!!!!!11

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

The BBC explained this yesterday. They and CBS in the States have the rights to the tournament. However, Master's rules mean they are only allowed to broadcast at certain times.

dammit, sky sports, setanta eurosports useless????????

why do beeb only start @ 9pm?? they tee off in the morning!!!!!!11

as I said ,the masters only allows a certain amount of coverage and pick who they give it to based on more than just money. I believe Setanta have coverage today too but only the same as the BBC. RTE will have it Sat and Sun at same times as BBC also.

No-one in the world has any more live coverage than anyone else. You can get live coverage of amen corner online on masters.org though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,295 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

smashey wrote:
    The BBC explained this yesterday. They and CBS in the States have the rights to the tournament. However, Master's rules mean they are only allowed to broadcast at certain times.
    Yeah the coverage is brutal.
    They come on at 9 when most of the top golfers are finished and they just show live golf instead of showing the highlights of the day.
    Its the worst major tv wise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭GreenHorn

I came from work at four y'day expecting an evening of golf golf golf all the way before I eventually figured out it wasn't coming on til 9.0pm.... Brutal :(

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Oliverdog

Yeah the coverage is brutal.
    They come on at 9 when most of the top golfers are finished and they just show live golf instead of showing the highlights of the day.
    Its the worst major tv wise.

Right - in so many ways. I don't know who the right link-man should be for the BBC Masters coverage - all I do know is that it's not Gary Lineker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 249 ✭✭scart

copacetic wrote:
    as I said ,the masters only allows a certain amount of coverage and pick who they give it to based on more than just money. I believe Setanta have coverage today too but only the same as the BBC. RTE will have it Sat and Sun at same times as BBC also.

This is the first year i can remember that RTE have not showed the first two days. Did they lose the irish rights to setanta or just didn't want them. Strange any channel only showing two days of a tournament.
    Regardless i would chose the BBC for my viewing - no ads and there own commentators,
    Myles Dungan was a great studio presenter for RTE;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭GreenHorn

Ah I dunno, I've been more watching Setanta cos I like Faldo's input - can't watch that twat Lineker on the BBC... He's terrible - so many uncomfortable silences, it's like watching David Brent!

• Advertisement

GreenHorn wrote:
    Ah I dunno, I've been more watching Setanta cos I like Faldo's input - can't watch that twat Lineker on the BBC... He's terrible - so many uncomfortable silences, it's like watching David Brent!

I think in the UK even the football people are getting sick of him - he asks a question, the golfer does his best to answer, but it doesn't matter - Gary is not listening because he's too busy rehearsing what he's going to say next. Then when he's ready, he interrupts the interviewee to deliver his next pearl of wisdom. He's a typical product of the create-an-all-purpose-personality sausage machine at the BBC and elsewhere. I won't go on, GreenHorn - I think you summed it up in four letters !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Nehpets

Could Harrington win? If he can get around in 68 again he would finish even. Chances of beating Tiger? :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Mister Sifter

come on european lads... time to end the long winless streak at augusta. rose and padraig could both do it. if only that man tiger wasn't there though eh!! i fancy tiger to finish no worse than level par.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

re Lineker the Guardian has a good piece on him and the 'logic' behind him getting the gig (which he is useless at).

http://sport.guardian.co.uk/golf/story/0,,2051764,00.html

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭shortys94

any links for online viewing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

mike65 wrote:
    re Lineker the Guardian has a good piece on him and the 'logic' behind him getting the gig (which he is useless at).

http://sport.guardian.co.uk/golf/story/0,,2051764,00.html

Mike.

He's Brutal!:eek:
    It's shocking bad!

It's a good piece; but don't hold your breath about the BBC taking any notice. Look out at Carnoustie when Gary, in mobile mode, wanders the links telling us everything we didn't need to know about what's going on, usually in a stage whisper. Grrrrrrr :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Not a regular poster on the golf forum but I just had to post a comment on the absolutely attrocious commentary/coverage offered by RTÉ2 on sunday evening.
    Did anyone catch this? My BBC2 was playing up so I had no choice but watch the RTÉ2 coverage....to be met by a couple of blokes that I wouldn't let commentate on two flies running up a wall.
    The coverage was biased in the extreme toward Harrington, pulling away from leaderboard player's shots to update us on Padraig's scorecard and adding some banal comment about him needing to birdy the next hole and other truisms.
    The ad breaks were spectacularly long, most of the important shots seemed to have been missed....and at the time when you might actually want some homegrown commentary, we seemed to be reliant upon the stream from CBS sports.
    Seriously, why even bother carrying the golf if you don't intend giving it 100%.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,080 ✭✭✭bigtimecharlie

Was on night shift for the WHOLE weekend and was following the scoring on the net. I did see some of the recorded Sat night coverage from the BBC which is fine viewing compared to what RTE2 may have been up to (ad's during golf just does not do it for me).

It so happens that I'm working the WHOLE weekend of the British open (day shift). Still the BBC are the best at this coverage and Sky did a reasonable job when they had the PGA Tour ( still debating on getting Setanta). Gary Lineker is no patch on Steve Ryder and he wasn't great either. Still we tune in for the golf and not the presenter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭bucks73

Apart from Lineker the rest of the BBC team are excellent. Their coverage of the Open is top quality also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Enigma365

This is the first year i can remember that RTE have not showed the first two days. Did they lose the irish rights to setanta or just didn't want them. Strange any channel only showing two days of a tournament.

In the US, this is the way it works for all golf tournaments. The big networks(CBS and NBC) show the weekend play for tournaments, while they allow a cable network to show the Thursday and Friday coverage. Ratings are probably too low on the Thursday and Friday(when everyone is at work) to interest the main networks. This is even the case for the Masters, where the USA network covers Thursday and Friday and CBS takes over for the weekend. They use the same commentators all four days though.

The reason the masters get such limited coverage is because the people who run it feel that too much tv coverage would spoil the event - i.e. "less is more". Its better than it used to be though, up to a few years ago you only got the last nine holes on the final day. Now they allow full 18 hole coverage of the final grouping, but only on the Sunday.

The people who run the Masters are a bit strange and force some bizzare and strict rules on the tv channels that they give the rights to. For example, tv commentators covering the masters are required to call the spectators "patrons", and nothing else. Also, a few years Gary Mc Cord, one of CBS's main commentators criticised the course and since then he has been barred from commentating at the event.
    During the network's coverage of the 1995 Masters, Gary McCord remarked that the 17th green was so fast that it seemed to be "bikini-waxed", and that "body bags" were located behind that green for players who missed their approach shots. Augusta National Golf Club, which organizes The Masters and is notoriously sensitive about how its course is described, used its influence with CBS to have him removed from the Masters commentary team. While McCord has continued to cover virtually all other golf events aired by CBS, he has never returned to Augusta. -Wikipedia

BTW, I have to agree that the RTE coverage on Sunday was terrible. The ad breaks were incredibly long and we often missed key footage. The two Irish commentators were brutal and they dragged out un-interesting questions for no obvious reason, instead of going back to the action.

[QUOTE]
    Enigma365 wrote:
    The reason the masters get such limited coverage is because the people who run it feel that too much tv coverage would spoil the event - i.e. "less is more". Its better than it used to be though, up to a few years ago you only got the last nine holes on the final day. Now they allow full 18 hole coverage of the final grouping, but only on the Sunday.

The people who run the Masters are a bit strange and force some bizzare and strict rules on the tv channels that they give the rights to. For example, tv commentators covering the masters are required to call the spectators "patrons", and nothing else. Also, a few years Gary Mc Cord, one of CBS's main commentators criticised the course and since then he has been barred from commentating at the event.
    QUOTE]

I'm going to be controversial here, but to me this is wrong and in my opinion, the Masters should lose its major status. While it is a great event, I believe that golf fans who can't make it to the event and who rely on television coverage deserve better. We should have coverage of every hole and not what the committee dictates. Also, the tradition of all previous winners having the right to play every tournament should be done away with. The players who are currently active on all the tours should have more places available to them.

*Sits back and awaits backlash*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭Marshy

bucks73 wrote:
    Apart from Lineker the rest of the BBC team are excellent. Their coverage of the Open is top quality also.
    They're soooooooo biased though. They were cheering after every putt Rose holed in the final round. That becomes a bit of a pain after a while.

I suppose the beeb are like that with all sports though. Its like henmania at wimbledon.

smashey wrote:
    [QUOTE]

I'm going to be controversial here, but to me this is wrong and in my opinion, the Masters should lose its major status. While it is a great event, I believe that golf fans who can't make it to the event and who rely on television coverage deserve better. We should have coverage of every hole and not what the committee dictates. Also, the tradition of all previous winners having the right to play every tournament should be done away with. The players who are currently active on all the tours should have more places available to them.

*Sits back and awaits backlash*

can't be much of a backlash since you aren't making any sense. The Masters can't 'lose' its major status, it was never 'given' it.

On the previous winners issues, that has already been done away with quietey. Previous winners who can't compete at all are 'discouraged' from competing. I think this year only 20 players in the field qualified purely because they were previous winners.

Besides it is tradition that makes the great tournaments.

What about the limited coverage?

smashey wrote:
    What about the limited coverage?

it's their tournament, they give up on potential massively more money
    to protect it as they see it. you may not like it but you have to respect
    it?

Rumour is that they are considering offering more anyway but no-one can
    force them too and rightly so. I would like to see more myself but quite
    like that they haven't sold out like every other tournament/sport.

Advertisement