Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Funny Side of Religion

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,780 ✭✭✭liamw

"Their textbook is the Bible's old testament"...

I don't know whether to laugh or to cry!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

We shouldn't laugh; Ross seems to have landed himself a good job at Liberty University (currently celebrating 40 Years of training Champions for Christ). The Discovery Institute also seems to have supplied him with plenty of grants and junkets. According to Wiki their total 2007 spending was around $4.3 million.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Discovery_Institute
    All in all, he seems to be doing quite nicely.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Sadly the easiest way to make money as a palaeontologist is to sell your soul to the dark side, whether it be fronting the creationist movement or making intellectually dishonest documentaries about Tyrannosaurus rex.
    Well, I may not be rich, but at least i have my forum :o

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Ah SMBC

20110416.gif

Shouldn't it be follow the Load?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,417 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Holy Thursday should be held on a Wednesday, says a Cambridge academic with far too much spare time on his hands:

http://thedailyedge.thejournal.ie/last-supper-actually-took-place-on-wednesday-new-book-claims-122627-Apr2011/
    Some Guy wrote:
    THE CENTURIES-OLD Christian custom of marking Jesus and his disciples’ Last Supper on a Thursday could be a miscalculation of Biblical proportions, according to claims by a professor at the University of Cambridge.

The Mystery of the Last Supper, a book by Sir Colin Humphreys, claims to combine Biblical and astronomical research to resolve a longstanding conundrum created by apparently conflicting reports from various Gospels. The Gospel according to John claims that the meal – supposedly the last dinner enjoyed by Jesus with his disciples before his crucifixion – took place before the beginning of the Jewish Passover feast, in conflict with the Gospels of Matthew, Mark and Luke.

Humphreys told the Daily Telegraph, however, that the calendar being used by the former was a different one to that used by Jesus and the three other evangelists – who used a popular old-fashioned Qumran calendar, instead of John’s official lunar one. “If we use science and the Gospels hand in hand, we can actually prove that there was no contradiction,” Humphreys said.

The argument could also help to resolve another conflict among Biblical scholars, who have been divided for centuries over whether it was possible for Jesus to have been arrested and put to trial in the few hours between his Thursday night Supper and crucifixion on Good Friday. The Sydney Morning Herald adds that the research is apparently thorough enough to put a date on the meal: it would have taken place on Wednesday 1 April, in the year 33 AD (the assumed year of Jesus’s death, assuming he was born at Year Zero).

Humphreys believes the latter conclusion could help to avoid the current practice where the dates of Easter are dictated by lunar cycles; currently Western Christanity sets the date of Easter to the first Sunday after the first full moon after March 21. Instead, he argues, Easter could be fixed for April 5 – or, at the very least, the closest Sunday to it.

A similar theory to Humphreys’ was discussed by Pope Benedict XVI in 2007, when he acknowledged that Jesus probably held his last meal according to the Qumran calendar, which would have seen Passover meals held a day before the ‘official’ calendar.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Lads we're letting the Jewish cat out of the bag, so to speak (see Brown Bomber's posts in the forum). We need to up the Jew-bashing, or it'll look obvious. I'll start:

jewcat.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

robindch wrote: »
    Holy Thursday should be held on a Wednesday, says a Cambridge academic with far too much spare time on his hands:

http://thedailyedge.thejournal.ie/last-supper-actually-took-place-on-wednesday-new-book-claims-122627-Apr2011/
    The Sydney Morning Herald adds that the research is apparently thorough enough to put a date on the meal: it would have taken place on Wednesday 1 April, in the year 33 AD (the assumed year of Jesus’s death, assuming he was born at Year Zero)

Our calendar didn't have a year zero. So given a start point of year one, Jesus was born in December meaning he only turned 1 near the end of year 2AD therefore he would have turned 33 at the end of year 34AD meaning the meal had to happen in the year 35AD.

Yay I beat scientists :D Wooo.

Off to comment...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭mikhail

ShooterSF wrote: »
    Our calendar didn't have a year zero. So given a start point of year one, Jesus was born in December meaning he only turned 1 near the end of year 2AD therefore he would have turned 33 at the end of year 34AD meaning the meal had to happen in the year 35AD.

Yay I beat scientists :D Wooo.

Off to comment...
    Isn't there some scholarly work which shows that the process used to determine when exactly 1AD was had some errors in it, making it several years too late?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

mikhail wrote: »
    Isn't there some scholarly work which shows that the process used to determine when exactly 1AD was had some errors in it, making it several years too late?

No idea. I guess my point was if you're gonna research such an absurd subject and are gonna accept that jesus died at 33 and the calendar is accurate at least don't make an easy mistake in such a calculation. He is assuming that a) there was a year 0 and b) that jesus was born before April 1st that year.
    Reminds me of that episode of father ted with the date the ice age ended :)

Though April 1st ... hmm wonder if it's a wind up :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

mikhail wrote: »

Fairly sure that 5AD is generally the accepted date of Jesus' birth.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭PeterIanStaker

intelligent-design-poster.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Improbable

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,586 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

• Registered Users Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Panrich

getting the signage right

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Tyler MacDurden

Taken in my local bookstore a few months back.

5638692935_10fa3e147a.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 13,002 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Medium Large does Easter:

easter-color-20111.jpg

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

I would have thrown the football back beside his feet and watch it bounce

• Registered Users Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭Stercus Accidit

Why would jesus wear a crucifix of himself being crucified?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

Supposedly sacrificing himself was his purpose in life. He's obviously quite proud of it.
    I'm more impressed by the way he keeps flitting backwards and forwards in time during that video clip.
    He seems to be rivalling the great Dr. Who in his time warping powers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭mehfesto

This might not seem religious, but that dog is a Jehovah's witness.
    True story.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

20110423.gif

20080619-teachthecontrovers.jpg&sa=X&ei=omSzTc3kIY-0hAfUwaTkDw&ved=0CAQQ8wc&usg=AFQjCNHxMgtNGnAbo0EfLmXMUXSsIrISuw

Rick Perry, Tea-Party supporter and governor of Texas, demands a state-wide rain-dance:

http://governor.state.tx.us/news/proclamation/16038/
    Rick Perry wrote:
    TO ALL TO WHOM THESE PRESENTS SHALL COME:

WHEREAS, the state of Texas is in the midst of an exceptional drought, with some parts of the state receiving no significant rainfall for almost three months, matching rainfall deficit records dating back to the 1930s; and

WHEREAS, a combination of higher than normal temperatures, low precipitation and low relative humidity has caused an extreme fire danger over most of the State, sparking more than 8,000 wildfires which have cost several lives, engulfed more than 1.8 million acres of land and destroyed almost 400 homes, causing me to issue an ongoing disaster declaration since December of last year; and

WHEREAS, these dire conditions have caused agricultural crops to fail, lake and reservoir levels to fall and cattle and livestock to struggle under intense stress, imposing a tremendous financial and emotional toll on our land and our people; and

WHEREAS, throughout our history, both as a state and as individuals, Texans have been strengthened, assured and lifted up through prayer; it seems right and fitting that the people of Texas should join together in prayer to humbly seek an end to this devastating drought and these dangerous wildfires;

NOW, THEREFORE, I, RICK PERRY, Governor of Texas, under the authority vested in me by the Constitution and Statutes of the State of Texas, do hereby proclaim the three-day period from Friday, April 22, 2011, to Sunday, April 24, 2011, as Days of Prayer for Rain in the State of Texas. I urge Texans of all faiths and traditions to offer prayers on that day for the healing of our land, the rebuilding of our communities and the restoration of our normal way of life.

IN TESTIMONY WHEREOF, I have hereunto signed my name and have officially caused the Seal of State to be affixed at my Office in the City of Austin, Texas, this the 21st day of April, 2011.

RICK PERRY
    Governor of Texas

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

robindch wrote: »
    Rick Perry, Tea-Party supporter and governor of Texas, demands a state-wide rain-dance:

http://governor.state.tx.us/news/proclamation/16038/

Oh for fukk sake...

• Registered Users Posts: 38 flyboy69

Eddie Izzard explains Easter and Christmas!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_XJfRzNOJNE

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

From the Random Photo Thread over in Photography:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=71851981&postcount=316

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=12613&g2_serialNumber=1

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Advertisement

advice-god-meme-generator-all-powerful-needs-a-day-off-045f7f.jpg

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement