Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Funny Side of Religion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Undergod

I can't see any symbol!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Undergod wrote: »
    I can't see any symbol!
    You have to want to see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Undergod

I see it now! Dades, you have shown me the light!

...are you a prophet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

20110507.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

robindch wrote: »
    Been years since I've used it, but in UL, we used to call this 'del' instead of 'nabla'. Does everybody do this, or was it just a bit of local flavor?

Yeah we used del

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

ytH4n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Fremen

Computing the temperature of heaven:
    The temperature of Heaven can be rather accurately computed. Our authority is Isaiah 30:26, "Moreover, the light of the Moon shall be as the light of the Sun and the light of the Sun shall be sevenfold, as the light of seven days." Thus Heaven receives from the Moon as much radiation as we do from the Sun, and in addition 7*7 (49) times as much as the Earth does from the Sun, or 50 times in all. The light we receive from the Moon is one 1/10,000 of the light we receive from the Sun, so we can ignore that.... The radiation falling on Heaven will heat it to the point where the heat lost by radiation is just equal to the heat received by radiation, i.e., Heaven loses 50 times as much heat as the Earth by radiation. Using the Stefan-Boltzmann law for radiation, (H/E) temperature of the earth (-300K), gives H as 798K (525C). The exact temperature of Hell cannot be computed.... [However] Revelations 21:8 says "But the fearful, and unbelieving...shall have their part in the lake which burneth with fire and brimstone." A lake of molten brimstone means that its temperature must be at or below the boiling point, 444.6C. We have, then, that Heaven, at 525C is hotter than Hell at 445C. ~From Applied Optics, vol. 11, A14, 1972

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,417 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Man is confused about Jesus:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭sponsoredwalk

• Registered Users Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭mikhail

robindch wrote: »
    Been years since I've used it, but in UL, we used to call this 'del' instead of 'nabla'. Does everybody do this, or was it just a bit of local flavor?
    Del is an operation, represented by the symbol nabla. It's like calling "m" metre - correct in certain circumstances.

• Advertisement

Having solved all its other problems, next September the catholic church in the UK will ask its willing flock to eat fish on Fridays.

Lorcan Ó Cinnéide, the chief exec of the Irish Fish Producers’ Organisation is unimpressed:

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/frontpage/2011/0517/1224297121354.html
    FISH ON Fridays is back on the Catholic Church’s menu, but seafood producers in Ireland and Britain are divided on whether this is a good thing. For the first time since the “penance” of abstaining from meat on Fridays was lifted by the Church, British Catholics will be asked to resume the practice from September 16th, the first anniversary of Pope Benedict XVI’s visit to England.

Curiously, the same measure urging penance on Friday has already been in place in Ireland for over a year, according to the Catholic Communications Office, although the seafood industry was not aware of it. Re-introduction of the penance in Britain has been welcomed by the trade, with the Grimsby Fish Merchants’ Association noting yesterday that “anything that will help boost sales of fish and seafood has to be a good thing for our business”.

However, the Irish industry is not so ecstatic, given the acknowledged damage done to the sector by the association with penitence. It was only in 1966, after the second Vatican Council, that Pope Paul VI agreed local bishops could find other forms of penance for their flock that did not require abstaining from meat.

The Pope’s pastoral letter to Catholics in Ireland in March 2010 included a return to such penitential practices. In his letter, the Pope urged Irish Catholics to devote their “Friday penances” for the following year to Church renewal.

Catholic Communications Office spokesman Martin Long said the office sent out tweets regularly on behalf of the episcopacy, encouraging people to remember Friday penance – fasting, acts of charity and prayer. It aimed to revive an ancient practice, given that Dé hAoine, the Irish word for Friday, translates as “the fast”, he said. “Fish is completely in accordance with the value of Friday penance,” Mr Long said, adding that he was a regular fish-eater himself.

Sectors of the seafood industry were unaware of the development when contacted yesterday.

I’m delighted to hear that British Catholics are going to eat fish on Fridays, but I’d prefer if they ate it every day and preferably Irish-caught fish,” Irish Fish Producers’ Organisation chief executive Lorcan Ó Cinnéide said. “I don’t think the association with penance is necessarily a good thing, as fish is a fabulous and healthy food which we should all be eating from Monday to Sunday,” he said. “However, if Irish people take as much notice of this as other missives from the church, we are safe enough,” he added.

Irrespective of penitential duties, Bord Iascaigh Mhara has confirmed that Friday is still the most popular day in Ireland for buying fresh fish.
    Never come across Mr Ó Cinnéide before, but I like the cut of his jib :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Skrynesaver

There was a tradition of boiling fish in milk with diced onions on Fridays in our house when I was growing up that made me reluctant to eat fish for years. It was only later on that I discovered fish could actually be other than a penance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭oldrnwisr

There was a tradition of boiling fish in milk with diced onions on Fridays in our house when I was growing up that made me reluctant to eat fish for years. It was only later on that I discovered fish could actually be other than a penance.

Ugh, don't remind me. I thought I was the only one subjected to that kind of nightmare.

[Embedded Image Removed]

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Am I the only one who thinks this sounds quite nice?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭mikhail

Today's XKCD:
    religions.png

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,585 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Seen on the God Channel back in February. At least they're honest :)

159605.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

jzW2M.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,780 ✭✭✭liamw

from YLYL...

1281460408383_2.png

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

raptureprankclothes.png
    Stolen from YLYL:pac:

• Advertisement

159726.png