Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Funny Side of Religion

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,417 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Recession his first communion:

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2011/0614/breaking29.html

The last line's unbeatable:
    it would be a brave parish priest who would try to introduce rules - many parents would object and say "you’ll not tell me what to do with my child".

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

He's not wrong is he?

Galvasean wrote: »
    He's not wrong is he?
    Despite my Poe-meter's wild jiggling, I'm inclined to wonder why the SvP guy's worried about priests telling parents what to do with their kids, when the whole first-communion thing's only happening at all because, er, priests have told parents what to do with their kids.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

A compelling argument for baptism and faith schools, by a local parish priest;
    (The priest) is less comfortable when parents make the decision not to baptise their children. “People have said to me, ‘We don’t want them baptised: we want them to decide for themselves.’ But God doesn’t just pop out of the sky. There are very few Damascus moments. I just question whether, if there is no engagement with God from an early age, anyone would opt for religion.”
    :Dhttp://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/weekend/2011/0604/1224298366216.html?via=rel

Seems there's money in snake-oil:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-13763339

• Advertisement

‎"Debating creationists on the topic of evolution is rather like trying to play chess with a pigeon; it knocks the pieces over, craps on the board, and flies back to its flock to claim victory." - Scott D. Weitzenhoffer

• Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

robindch wrote: »
    ‎"Debating creationists on the topic of evolution is rather like trying to play chess with a pigeon; it knocks the pieces over, craps on the board, and flies back to its flock to claim victory." - Scott D. Weitzenhoffer

No posts on this stupid thread for ten days. Just remember - you brought it back from the dead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭himnextdoor

No posts on this stupid thread for ten days. Just remember - you brought it back from the dead.

It wasn't dead, it was just resting.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

[...] ten days. [...] back from the dead.

Eat that Jesus!

[...] you brought it back from the dead.
    Resurrection cancelled :)

• Advertisement

Resurrection cancelled :)

Did you just transubstantiate our posts?

Did you just transubstantiate our posts?
    Nope, just practicing bilocation.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

5uspect wrote: »
    she actually makes a very good point there, that creationists scoff at the idea they may be distant relatives to monkeys but are more than happy with the idea that the human race was fashioned out of dirt.

i'm happier being a descendant of a monkey than i would be as a descendant of mud. :D

vibe666 wrote: »
    i'm happier being a descendant of a monkey than i would be as a descendant of mud
    I think you may be both :)

vibe666 wrote: »
    i'm happier being a descendant of a monkey than i would be as a descendant of mud. :D

"I'd rather be a risen ape than a fallen angel." -Terry Pratchett

• Registered Users Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭mikhail

"I'd rather be a risen ape than a fallen angel." -Terry Pratchett
    Pratchett's formulation is cute enough to stand on its own, but I'd just like to point out that he didn't invent that comparison:
    http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Robert_Ardrey

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Standman

Grest song from Matt Stone and Trey parkers (South Park creators) broadway play "The book of Mormon".

• Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

04-25-11-jesus-dad.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭fontanalis

dqpz1.jpeg
    dqpz2.jpeg
    dqpz3.jpeg
    dqpz4.jpeg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 Marsha McMallow

• Advertisement

Abie Philbin Bowman's standup at the atheist conference:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭mikhail

Dylnh.jpg

The BBC tries to explain the christian trinity:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/religion/religions/christianity/beliefs/trinity_1.shtml
    BBC wrote:
    Introduction to the Trinity

The doctrine of the Trinity is the Christian belief that there is One God, who is Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. Other ways of referring to the Trinity are the Triune God and the Three-in-One. The Trinity is a controversial doctrine; many Christians admit they don't understand it, while many more Christians don't understand it but think they do.

In fact, although they'd be horrified to hear it, many Christians sometimes behave as if they believe in three Gods and at other times as if they believe in one.

The doctrine of the Trinity is one of the most difficult ideas in Christianity, but it's fundamental to Christians because it:
    • states what Christians believe God is like and who he is
    • plays a central part in Christians' worship of an "unobjectifiable and incomprehensible God"
    • emphasises that God is very different from human beings
    • reflects the ways Christians believe God encounters them
    • is a central element of Christian identity
    • teaches Christians vital truths about relationship and community
    • reveals that God can be seen only as a spiritual experience whose mystery inspires awe and cannot be understood logically

Unpacking the doctrine

The idea that there is One God, who is Father, Son, and Holy Spirit means:
    • There is exactly one God
    • The Father is God
    • The Son is God
    • The Holy Spirit is God
    • The Father is not the Son
    • The Son is not the Holy Spirit
    • The Father is not the Holy Spirit
    An alternate way of explaining it is:
    • There is exactly one God
    • There are three really distinct Persons - Father, Son, and Holy Spirit
    • Each of the Persons is God

Common mistakes

The Trinity is not
    • Three individuals who together make one God
    • Three Gods joined together
    • Three properties of God

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

They explain further;
    The BBC wrote:
    The mystery of the Trinity: (1+1+1=1) = Nonsense!
    This idea that three persons add up to one individual seems like nonsense. And logically, it is.
    So Christians don't try to understand the doctrine of the Trinity logically or as a problem of arithmetic.
    Unfortunately most other attempts to explain the Trinity don't really capture the concept either, or are very difficult to understand.
    This next explanation seems like a runner...
    The BBC wrote:
    The Trinity is like water because water comes in three forms - ice, water, steam. This is Modalism because these are three states or modes of the substance water.
    but unfortunately, reading the small print, it has been declared an official heresy; so forget it immediately :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

Quick, someone send them over a French slave boy with a fist full of grass. STAT!

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

So... are you omplying that a munkyy had sex with a pile of muck to make man?!!?!? :pac::eek:
    You materialist evolutionsists have no shame!!!!! :cool::pac::D:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

• Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

He is funny, but thankfully is a satirist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

There are a number of kinds of mental going on here.....feel free to move if its better suited to elsewhere....
    A Jewish rabbinical court condemned to death by stoning a stray dog it feared was the reincarnation of a lawyer who insulted its judges, reports say.

The dog entered the Jerusalem financial court several weeks ago and would not leave, reports Israeli website Ynet.
    It reminded a judge of a curse passed on a now deceased secular lawyer about 20 years ago, when judges bid his spirit to enter the body of a dog.

The animal is said to have escaped before the sentence was carried out.
    One of the judges at the court in the city's ultra-Orthodox Mea Shearim neighbourhood had reportedly asked local children to carry out the sentence.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-13819764

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

Sure we can ban public smoking, but only Jesus is powerful enough to ban RAINBOWS.

http://www.xtra.ca/public/Toronto/Rainbows_banned_at_Mississauga_Catholic_school-10262.aspx

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement