Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Funny Side of Religion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Move over Dawkins, we have a new champion!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

What a legend!!
    Do ye or do ye not believe in de big bang teery.....Story bud...

I shouldn't be surprised by this. I have long since learned not to judge a book by its cover or profile people based on their accent or what they look like.

I had my old 12" Dob telescope in the front yard one night looking at Saturn when 2 lads that looked like out and out scumbags appeared at the gate. I am not the type that assumes any teen in a tracksuit is a scumbag but these lads looked and sounded rough. They asked what I was doing and when I told them they asked for a look. I assumed this was just a ploy do get close but I had few options out there on my own. I was nervous as hell. Well they had a look at Saturn through the scope and told me, "That was fookin deadly bud" They asked questions about Saturn and the scope and how it worked because it wasn't like the refractor type scope they were familiar with. They knew a lot more than most I deal with at outreach events. They thanked me and before leaving offered me some weed as a thank you. I declined as I gave that up years ago :D

Boy did I feel pretty ****ty for profiling them and assuming they were going to rob me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

Ahh Dublin, this is why I love you. There's just no messing allowed. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

I've seen that preacher talking BS into a lame mic before. I'm pretty sure I talked to the heckler too, at my old gaf's local post office XD. ireland. everyone knows everyone eventually.

In other religious funnies... this thread has some funny responces. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056311096

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,417 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

A man dressed in brown robes stands outside Miss Selfridges in Preston, holding a biscuit up in the air while a friend megaphones. Lots of people kneel down, then clap.

I wonder if big-bang-man would turn up if that happened here in Dublin?

• Advertisement

Calibos wrote: »
    What a legend!!

I shouldn't be surprised by this. I have long since learned not to judge a book by its cover or profile people based on their accent or what they look like.

I had my old 12" Dob telescope in the front yard one night looking at Saturn when 2 lads that looked like out and out scumbags appeared at the gate. I am not the type that assumes any teen in a tracksuit is a scumbag but these lads looked and sounded rough. They asked what I was doing and when I told them they asked for a look. I assumed this was just a ploy do get close but I had few options out there on my own. I was nervous as hell. Well they had a look at Saturn through the scope and told me, "That was fookin deadly bud" They asked questions about Saturn and the scope and how it worked because it wasn't like the refractor type scope they were familiar with. They knew a lot more than most I deal with at outreach events. They thanked me and before leaving offered me some weed as a thank you. I declined as I gave that up years ago :D

Boy did I feel pretty ****ty for profiling them and assuming they were going to rob me.

Actually, now that I think of it the converse/corollary ( whatever its called :D ) was also true. ie. Don't judge a book by its cover.

Decided to do some solo 'Sidewalk' Astronomy outreach a few years ago as part of the International 100hours of Astronomy event. This was where amatuers were encouraged to do some outreach to celebrate Gallileos' first use of the telescope for astronomy.

Anyway, set up on the footpath outside our business and encouraged passersby to have a look at Saturn and the Moon. Had about 100 people during the course of the night and lost track of time. Turns out in the end I had been out there for 5 hours which felt like 90 minutes and couldn't believe my watch that it was 1:30am when I called it a night. I had girls in heals and miniskirts teetering on the stepladder, groups of lads on their way to the pubs on the pull, old ladies on their way home from bingo, lots of neighbours and commuters on their way home from work and at one point 2 female Gardai on foot patrol. One got on the radio and 5 minutes later a Squad car pulled up and two more Gardai got out and came over for a look. Then 2 minutes after that, another 2 squad cars pulled up and 4 more got out. I had 8 Gardai and 3 squad cars there for a while. I wonder what the Super would have thought if he realised half his nightshift was in one place looking through a telescope.

Sorry, I digress. At one point I had a group of respectable looking well spoken lads walk by. I shouted over to them if they wanted to have a look at the Planet Saturn. One shouted, "No, but can you see my c**k with that". All his mates started laughing as they walked on. I shouted back, "Dude, this is a telescope not a microscope!" His mates laughed even harder.

So you can find intellectual curiosity where you wouldn't expect, but equally find the opposite where you might have expected to find it.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

at one point 2 female Gardai on foot patrol. One got on the radio and 5 minutes later a Squad car pulled up and two more Gardai got out and came over for a look. Then 2 minutes after that, another 2 squad cars pulled up and 4 more got out. I had 8 Gardai and 3 squad cars there for a while. I wonder what the Super would have thought if he realised half his nightshift was in one place looking through a telescope.

I actually lol'ed at that.:D

robindch wrote: »
    A man dressed in brown robes stands outside Miss Selfridges in Preston, holding a biscuit up in the air while a friend megaphones. Lots of people kneel down, then clap.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZ5aYoSr3Hg

I wonder if big-bang-man would turn up if that happened here in Dublin?

"Jesus Christ is in every book in the bible."
    "In Genesis, Jesus is the seed of the woman"
    "In Exodus, He's the Passover lamb."
    "In Leviticus, He's the priest, the altar and the lamb of sacrifice."
    "Come and Kneel Before Him now."

"In I and II Samuel He's our trusted profit"

In Reality though....
    He's bullsh1t.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

"Mel Gibson is in every Mel Gibson movie."
    "In Braveheart, Mel Gibson is a Scottish patriot"
    "In The Patriot, He's an American patriot."
    "In Mad Max, He's the saviour of his tribe"
    "In Lethal Weapon I and II, III and IV, He's our trusted cop"
    In Reality though....
    He's bullsh1t.

Ah jaysus lads I'm disappointed now. I saw the last two lines of both your posts, thought to myself, 'Hold on a minute, I didn't watch the vid till the end after getting bored. Did I just miss a massive great public troll. Did the monk get all the people to kneel and clasp their hands in prayer for 10 minutes only to finish his sermon with the words, 'In reality though, He's bull****', pop a red pointy tail from inside his robes and walk off leaving the kneeling praying crowds going WTF???!!!

So I watched the vid again. But It is genuine cheesey pretentious gobbledegook!!

• Advertisement

Malty_T wrote: »
    I actually lol'ed at that.:D

Heres two of Brays finest before they called in the reinforcements :D

3724617935_15c7383eeb.jpg

Ah jaysus lads I'm disappointed now. I saw the last two lines of both your posts, thought to myself, 'Hold on a minute, I didn't watch the vid till the end after getting bored. Did I just miss a massive great public troll. Did the monk get all the people to kneel and clasp their hands in prayer for 10 minutes only to finish his sermon with the words, 'In reality though, He's bull****', pop a red pointy tail from inside his robes and walk off leaving the kneeling praying crowds going WTF???!!!

So I watched the vid again. But It is genuine cheesey pretentious gobbledegook!!

That would HAVE to be the most EPIC idea for an April's Fool Prank. :D
    Perhaps like a mass internet flash mob prank planned in secret?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭mehfesto

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

They probably were going to rob you and got distracted by the shiny things :)

Zillah wrote: »
    They probably were going to rob you and got distracted by the shiny things :)

The guards?

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭petebricquette

MThis is one of the funnier things I've seen posted on a religious website. It's absolutely ridiculous. Plus, number 8 on the list has turned itself into a cool emoticon.

MThis is one of the funnier things I've seen posted on a religious website. It's absolutely ridiculous. Plus, number 8 on the list has turned itself into a cool emoticon.

That site has to be parody... right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

tumblrlnd0aas75l1qemzhg.png

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

WcPu0.png

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

strobe wrote: »
    That site has to be parody... right?
    right

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭Teddy_Picker

tumblr_lnh4nzHGCy1qapkmyo1_500.jpg?62804

get under the 'spout' where the glory comes out?

that sounds like a catchphrase for pedobear. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

vibe666 wrote: »
    WcPu0.png
    Ryo is my hero.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,417 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

News just in - Ratzinger has officially opened a new portal for news of interest to catholics! Unfortunately, Herr Ratzinger's gone and done a Kim Jong Il, so the entire opening page is given over to news about, er, Herr Ratzinger. This may change, or indeed, it may not.

The portal's here -> http://www.news.va/en

And here's what it looked like a few minutes ago, with his Lordship's virgin tweet still intact! Am tempted to declare a photoshop competition :)

165183.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭legspin

tumblr_lnh4nzHGCy1qapkmyo1_500.jpg?62804

Particularly apt for an Oral Roberts organisation

pH wrote: »

Thank God for that... so hard to tell sometimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Skrynesaver

20110630.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

An replica of the Ark

For the Lord said, "She won't stay on her own, slap some carbon steel in there for good measure!" Praised be!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭Penn

An replica of the Ark

For the Lord said, "She won't stay on her own, slap some carbon steel in there for good measure!" Praised be!
    Not a Lego or popsicle stick model, but a real-life replica of Noah's Ark built to scale.

Y'know, the company who did the drawings for the original Ark went into liquidation when the Flood happened, so this guy had to scale off the original drawings with a ruler and protractor. True story*

*not a true story.

• Advertisement

153714_460s.jpg

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement