Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Funny Side of Religion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭muppeteer

fallradiobanner2011.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

muppeteer wrote: »
    fallradiobanner2011.jpg
    That's more like a hazard I'm afraid...

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭muppeteer

It's laugh or cry.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

More SMBC

20110907.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭bigben121

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

252873_460s_v1.jpg

9923013.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,582 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

muppeteer wrote: »
    fallradiobanner2011.jpg
    anyone else getting a failure on that domain?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭Pompey Magnus

anyone else getting a failure on that domain?

You need to drop the dashes:

http://www.1800yesword.com/

How many Bibles you planning on sending?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

You need to drop the dashes:

http://www.1800yesword.com/

As many as they can eat.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,417 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Reminds me of a story I read/heard years ago, I think from Readers Indigestion, or something like that (which was well known at the time for its right-wing stance on most issues).

Apparently, the Gideons bible society had been requesting the government of Communist Romania during the mid-80's for permission to distribute bibles. After a few unsuccessful attempts, they finally received it, so they sent over a shipment of I suppose it must have been several thousand in a container. The bibles were immediately sent to a pulping plant and turned into toilet paper. The Gideons didn't ask to send over any more.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,582 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

I'm failing to find any sexist changes. Though I am finding myself evilly laughing at the old dears who rattle off the old phrases they have learned by rote getting a shock :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,713 ✭✭✭Worztron

moses1.jpg

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Registered Users Posts: 8,713 ✭✭✭Worztron

donato.jpg

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,780 ✭✭✭liamw

WTFCaptcha-Baseball.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭mehfesto

Got this e-mail today. I lol'd.
    Join our Flickr Group!

The group is composed of subjects: photography, art, and
    over time has developed a Christian theme, so if photography
    or art interests you but Christianity does not then you
    might not want to join, the choice of joining is of course
    yours!

There is no way we will remove your membership if for
    example you are atheist or if your belief is not our belief.

Bloody Christians. Not letting me leave, again. :P

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

mehfesto wrote: »
    Bloody Christians. Not letting me leave, again. :P
    That might change depending on what images you post. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭mehfesto

'What?! Sure didn't he give about half of us lovely willies?'

• Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

David Mitchell's soapbox on burden of proof.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,417 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

David Mitchell's soapbox on burden of proof.
    Now that I notice it, it's interesting that, as a group, comedians discuss rationality + diss nonsesne more publicly and more effectively than just about any other group I can think of.

Stephen Fry, Dave Mitchell + Robert Webb, Tim Minchin, Dara Ó Briain just off the top of my head. Any more?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

robindch wrote: »
    Now that I notice it, it's interesting that, as a group, comedians discuss rationality + diss nonsesne more publicly and more effectively than just about any other group I can think of.

Stephen Fry, Dave Mitchell + Robert Webb, Tim Minchin, Dara Ó Briain just off the top of my head. Any more?

Douglas Adams is the first to spring to mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭pts

There is also Jimmy Carr

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭oldrnwisr

Well, Alan Davies

and Ricky Gervais

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

It shouldn't be surprising that most of the best comedians are atheists. A comedian's job is to critically pick apart things and point out stupid/strange stuff in a humorous manner. As this thread proves there is an awful lot of nonsense in religion with the potential for hilarity.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Well unlike academics who have to rely on civility and traditional debating tactics in order to discuss religion without causing ire, comedians have more of a soapbox format and are given greater licence to cause offence in the name of comedy. This allows them to call things as they are, dismiss religious views as childish tales without being accused of bigotry or intolerance.

They also have the benefit that their audience are people who want to hear them. This lets them get far riskier than anyone addressing a nuetral audience. If you don't like a comedian, you'll switch him off. But if an academic is discussing a topic in which you have a stake, then you're likely to sit and watch (and fume) even if you're not all that enamoured with them personally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 383 ✭✭HUNK

3ENut.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 696 ✭✭✭Monty.

atheist-sex.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Monty. wrote: »
    atheist-sex.jpg

This offends me.

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Knasher

Monty. wrote: »
    atheist-sex.jpg

Just out of interest what do christians shout out during sex outside of wedlock? Can't imagine shouting "oh god" is a good idea, getting his attention to point out you're breaking his rules.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

"I'm so sorry Jesus"?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement