Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Funny Side of Religion

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

mikhail wrote: »
    the same gentleman fighting the good fight elsewhere 2

"Sligo based, retired garda and GRA representative, John Ferry said yesterday he would be making a formal complaint to the Advertising Standards' Authority".
    I'm guessing anyone who tried to make a complaint about suspected child sexual abuse by local RCC priests wouldn't have got too far while he was in charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭eoin5

http://www.family-men.com/Brides%20of%20the%20State.htm
    Please excuse us using the medium of email to contact you. We do it simply through lack of funds. However, we would appreciate, because of the seriousness of the contents that we receive your response by post to ensure that we do not miss it.

So its so important you couldn't be arsed checking your email... :o

• Registered Users Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

Semi-related... YLYL again:

314405_236961863031401_221185627942358_658165_1216387299_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

memes-what-are-your-orders-morgan-freeman.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

A few I found while looking for something else.

lfon142l.jpg

religionsalesmen.gif

aexn78l.jpg

open-your-text-books-2.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,580 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

tumblr_ltok7hkOX91qbohddo1_r1_500.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

The latest season of Dexter seems to be focusing a lot on faith, I quite enjoyed the following scene... :)

No spoilers.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

America's most loveable serial killer just got more loveable. :)
    (Although one could also read into this the fact that Dexter was raised without God led him to become the monster he is.)

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭dmw07

Malty_T wrote: »
    (Although one could also read into this the fact that Dexter was raised without God led him to become the monster he is.)

Some people would see this as a logical conclusion. The foundation of that logic however........:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭Misty Moon

Okay, at nearly 300 pages, it will take me some time to get through this thread. So, sorry, if this has already been posted but I just saw it and thought it amusing.

post-14005-13200030289252.gif

• Advertisement

An old episode from a favourite comedy podcast - link :)

Talking about how gays caused the Haiti earthquake a last year:

-"So, tell me, what's the Christian community to do about it?"
    -"Well, Pastor, it's obvious to me that at this historical moment in our nation's history that it's time to give the homosexuals whatever it is they want."
    -"Huh?"
    -"We're clearly no match for their superpowers, Pastor, what with their ability to cause natural disasters, plagues, incredible mind control abilities... We should just give them marriage and equal rights and adoption before they kill us all."

Probably a repost, (possibly even by me) but meh this is brill!
    281925.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Undergod

The latest season of Dexter seems to be focusing a lot on faith, I quite enjoyed the following scene... :)

No spoilers.

From the related videos:

Third panel there; is that George RR Martin?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Knasher

Undergod wrote: »
    Third panel there; is that George RR Martin?

No it's Daniel Dennett

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Malty_T wrote: »

But he only kills bad people... which is more than you can say for God...

Galvasean wrote: »
    But he only kills bad people... which is more than you can say for God...

:D
    So true.
    Only the religious would argue that no one is righteous before God and that God is always absolutely right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 383 ✭✭HUNK

KNGUb.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭hare05

HUNK wrote: »
    KNGUb.png

Stop the presses! We have a Redditor!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,417 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

The latest thoughts from Chairman McKevitt:

http://www.alive.ie/editors-jottings.html
    Atheists are losers and no-hopers

Let's get straight to the point: atheists are losers and no-hopers. And most of them, it seems, cannot even attempt to defend their own irrational views. That's bad enough, but to hide God's love from your own children, to rob them of a sense of meaning in life, to bring them up with no hope of eternal happiness, is incredible cruelty. And lapsed Catholics especially, should know that.

Today's atheists want "scientific evidence" for the existence of God. Don't they realise how daft a demand that is? But they get away with it because their fellow atheists in education, the media, the golf club, etc never challenge them, would even think it odd to have to challenge them.

Modern science deals with material things, stuff that can be measured and weighed, that can be seen through a microscope or a telescope, that can be used in experiments. It has produced some great results, in medicine, technology and agriculture, for example, but that's its full scope. It is interested only in material things.

To want "scientific evidence" for God, then, is to look for a God that can be measured, and examined under a microscope. In other words, atheists have their own tiny, materialist notion of the kind of God they would accept. Pathetic. They have taken the great searching powers of the human mind and narrowed them down to counting beans! Thus they go through life with closed minds, incapable of asking the big questions:

Has life any purpose? What is freedom? Does love really matter? What makes humans special? Is death the end? Can our deepest longings be fulfilled?

For them, death is the loss of everything, it's when they discover their bank shares are worthless, that the future is over. They're the ultimate losers, having missed out on the meaning of life.

And yet some Christians are intimidated by atheism. How very odd!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

What an odd man.

• Advertisement

For them, death is the loss of everything, it's when they discover their bank shares are worthless, that the future is over. They're the ultimate losers, having missed out on the meaning of life.

We're supposed to get bank shares?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭stimpson

We're supposed to get bank shares?

I know the Vatican have a bank, but I don't know of any Atheist bank.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

They're shares in a zombie bank. If you close your eyes and wish really hard, then wait three days, they go back up to their full value.

• Moderators Posts: 51,798 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

Today's atheists want "scientific evidence" for the existence of God.

So atheists don't want scientific evidence? Or is "scientific evidence" code for potatoes? :confused::P

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,743 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Today's atheists want "scientific evidence" for the existence of God. Don't they realise how daft a demand that is? But they get away with it because their fellow atheists in education, the media, the golf club, etc never challenge them, would even think it odd to have to challenge them.

So atheists in golf clubs should challenge other atheists who believe the same thing as they do?

I do think it odd to have to challenge them. And I don't even play golf.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Has life any purpose? What is freedom? Does love really matter? What makes humans special? Is death the end? Can our deepest longings be fulfilled?
    To live as well as possible. Freedom is to be allowed to live as you please, as long as it doesn't hurt anyone or anything. Yes. Nothing. Maybe. And, it depends what they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭mikhail

Losers and no-hopers, eh? How Christian of him.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Thus they go through life with closed minds, incapable of asking the big questions:
    What does the colour blue smell like? WELL??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭mikhail

Dades wrote: »
    What does the colour blue smell like? WELL??
    Rain. fMRIs have imaged synesthesia in action: it's quite real.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Sarky wrote: »
    What an odd man.
    What an idiot.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement