Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Funny Side of Religion

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 220 ✭✭EKClarke

The new South Park is about Agnosticism.

http://tvsearch.co/tv/watch/D7T2J8S4/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

Dades wrote: »
    Jeez, if they were going to get offended why did the Pope agree to the shoot anyway? :confused:

"Why don't you loosen your robes a bit, Benny. That's it. No, of course there's no film in the camera. Honest to God."

That's funny.

You're going straight to hell by the way .................
    .... or maybe not.
    CiaranMT wrote:
    And Dades was being tongue in cheek.

Which is a lot better than the pope/imam picture i.e. tongue in mouth.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

EKClarke wrote: »
    The new South Park is about Agnosticism.

http://tvsearch.co/tv/watch/D7T2J8S4/

Lol at the Agnostics Creed:
    We cannot know with
    certainty if God or Christ
    exists. They COULD.
    Then again There COULD
    be a giant reptilian bird in
    charge of everything. Can
    we be CERTAIN there
    isn't? NO, so its pointless
    to talk about.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭dmw07

MarchDub wrote: »
    Or sophomoric.

Possibly. I'd say more sarcastic but i wasn't trolled and have no reason to feel indignant and take it out on the wrong person...

Just saying...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Jeez - this particular "funny" got beaten to death didn't it?
    Or sophomoric.
    Somewhat uncalled for, given the humourous intent and the thread title. But, hey.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,580 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

tumblr_luq0dbmNSQ1qbohddo1_400.jpg

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,417 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

^^^ ""If you understand the psychology of a Big Mac meal you understand the psychology of religion."

- Andy Thompson

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭MarchDub

Jeez - this particular "funny" got beaten to death didn't it?

Somewhat uncalled for, given the humourous intent and the thread title. But, hey.

Well, you maybe right - but I was agnostic back in the days when the entire country was peopled with Mass-going feet. I didn't bother them and they didn't bother me. I never felt the need to denigrate or scorn others' beliefs, images or representatives in order to what, 'justify' my own?

That's the part that doesn't make intellectual sense to me. It does seem sophomoric, or insecure. Just saying...

Well, you maybe right - but I was agnostic back in the days when the entire country was peopled with Mass-going feet. I didn't bother them and they didn't bother me. I never felt the need to denigrate or scorn others' beliefs, images or representatives in order to what, 'justify' my own?
    Well just to pick the example you posted on. That Benetton poster with the Pope kissing the Imam is a clear nod to the homophobic policies supported by both their religions. Their outrage at the campaign doesn't change the reality of what they preach.

That said, a lot of what is posted here is point and laugh. We don't really do quality control here it has to be said. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Improbable

Seen jesus recently?

mind-blown-jesus.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭MarchDub

Well just to pick the example you posted on. That Benetton poster with the Pope kissing the Imam is a clear nod to the homophobic policies supported by both their religions. Their outrage at the campaign doesn't change the reality of what they preach.

Well their 'preaching' is within their charter IMO and for their own members - those who actually listen. But to put that within actual historic context the civic laws have much more blood on their hands as regards actual homosexual prosecutions - a civil criminal act until recent times. Ref the Criminal Law Amendment Act of 1885 [ a beefing up of previous anti-gay laws] in place in the UK until the 1960s and here until the 1980s. Oscar Wilde's prison experience under this law for example is well documented and detailed in all its horrific heart wrenching inhumanity. Wilde was and remained a devout Christian BTW.
    But this I know, that every Law
    That men have made for Man,
    Since first Man took his brother's life,
    And the sad world began,
    But straws the wheat and saves the chaff
    With a most evil fan.

This too I know--and wise it were
    If each could know the same--
    That every prison that men build
    Is built with bricks of shame,
    And bound with bars lest Christ should see
    How men their brothers maim.

Ballad of Reading Gaol
    I'm not gay but I was involved in homosexual rights back in the 70s [amongst other rights issues] and the churches were not against the decriminalisation of these laws - in fact it was usually families with homosexual sons [yes, oh yes] who were influencing politicians to keep these laws in place. Even recently in Uganda the Christian churches have spoken out against the criminalisation of homosexual acts. The criminal civic code menace is much more of a threat IMO.

Marriage is another issue though - and a modern entrance into the arena.
    That said, a lot of what is posted here is point and laugh. We don't really do quality control here it has to be said. :)[

Well, I think I see that. :pac:

And my post is not funny. Sorry. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

Or sophomoric.

Dades post? Are we reading the same post? :confused:

I applaud your past and present conscientious objections - no doubt far more resonant than a bunch of non-believers giving out about dogma. I mean that. :)

My point was only that in a live and let live society there would be no need to satirise, ridicule or attack the values held by another. (And I wouldn't have to baptise my two kids to ensure they get a spot in the school around the corner.)

Allegedly, Jesus Christ is "obscene" in Pakistan:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-15793721

• Registered Users Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

Nabbed from the other side (amazed it's stayed up for 5 days now):

vaticanresponses.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭dmw07

Well, I think I see that. :pac:

And my post is not funny. Sorry. :)

You see it, know it to be true, yet still choose to ignore it.

You sure you were agnostic back in the day, and not just anti-conformist ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

robindch wrote: »
    Allegedly, Jesus Christ is "obscene" in Pakistan:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-15793721
    So is Wu-Tang Clan. :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

I'm sure we've all seen it, but it still needs to be posted.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Not sure where to post this, but it gave me a right old chuckle.
    (AP) ATLANTA - A Georgia factory worker claims in a federal lawsuit that he was fired after he refused to wear a 666 sticker he feared would doom him to eternal damnation.
    Billy E. Hyatt claims he was fired from Pliant Corp., a plastics factory in northern Georgia near Dalton, after he refused to wear a sticker proclaiming that his factory had been accident-free for 666 days. That number is considered the "mark of the beast" in the Bible's Book of Revelation describing the apocalypse.

Hyatt, who said he's a devout Christian, had worked for the north Georgia plastics company since June 2007 and like other employees wore stickers each day that proclaimed how long the factory had gone without an accident.

But he grew nervous in early 2009 as the number of accident-free days crept into the 600s. As the company's safety calendar approached day 666, Hyatt said he approached a manager and explained that wearing it would force him "to accept the mark of the beast and to be condemned to hell." He said the manager assured him he wouldn't have to wear the number.

When the day came on March 12, 2009, Hyatt sought a manager to discuss his request. He said he was told that his beliefs were "ridiculous" and that he should wear the sticker or serve a three-day suspension.

Hyatt took the three-day suspension, and was fired at a human resources meeting several days later. He then filed a complaint with the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, and his attorney Stephen Mixon said the agency granted him the right to sue the company in August.

The lawsuit, which seeks punitive damages and back pay, said the company forced him into a terrible situation: Keep his job or "abandon his religious beliefs."

The company, now known as Berry Plastics Corp., did not return several calls and emails seeking comment. It has yet to respond to the complaint in court.

source

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Malty_T wrote: »
    Not sure where to post this, but it gave me a right old chuckle.
    The funny thing is that the number of the beast is actually 616!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

kylith wrote: »

Yep, both parties are arguing over the wrong number.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Anyone for emailing the employer to let them know? Nice get out clause...

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

dYXXS.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

Interesting..... in our own little universe, all the phone numbers beginning with 666 were given to the Gardai, to protect ordinary citizens from being marked with "beast" phone numbers. Maybe the Gardai should be re-assigned with 616 numbers from now on. :D

Not sure if this has been put up before (probably has) and hell I may have been the one to put it here but easily becoming my favourite comedy series on religion

^^^ Makes me wonder why creationists aren't demanding that people stop using the wrong English (etc) names for all the birds and animals, and start using the correct Hebrew names instead:
    Now the LORD God had formed out of the ground all the wild animals and all the birds in the sky. He brought them to the man to see what he would name them; and whatever the man called each living creature, that was its name. So the man gave names to all the livestock, the birds in the sky and all the wild animals.

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭sephir0th

help-me-jesus.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Adamantium

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭sephir0th

FyShH.jpg

• Advertisement

Adamantium wrote: »

Why does god allow wind to keep blowing his shoulder towel up into his face? You'd think as the representative of an all powerful being you'd get perks like that...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement