Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Funny Side of Religion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

Liamario wrote: »
    He's still going into the quare room.

el oh el

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭el oh el

el oh el

You called?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

826.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Improbable

From the extremely entertaining and informative Intelligence Squared debate.

Dkgcy.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭fitz0

1047583_460s.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

nFHie.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

To Hitch....

Dkgcy.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,138 ✭✭✭dinneenp

What's the difference between Jesus and a picture of Jesus?
    It only takes one nail to hang the picture.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

SMBC delivers again:

20111216.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭dmw07

Improbable wrote: »
    From the extremely entertaining and informative Intelligence Squared debate.

Dkgcy.jpg

I remember thinking this at the time of the debate and didn't find out the answer but why is the count "after" greater than "before" by 52, people late to get to the debate?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,743 ✭✭✭✭Penn

dmw07 wrote: »
    I remember thinking this at the time of the debate and didn't find out the answer but why is the count "after" greater than "before" by 52, people late to get to the debate?

Votes were made by paper ballot, so given the chance of spoiled votes, people not getting their votes in on time and just human error in counting the votes, 52 votes isn't really that big a deal. Wouldn't have affected the results anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭dmw07

Penn wrote: »
    Wouldn't have affected the results anyway

Yes that is true, it's not even 3% of the total. It's just a quirk that bugged me.

Votes being cast by paper ballot would explain things. i didn't notice the people going around collecting them, i listened to it rather than watching (But watched it again and i noticed the collection this time!). I thought electronic means would be the norm in these days given it was the BBC. Cheers

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Not really funny but thought this would be the place place to share

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-16184773
    Banksy unveils church abuse work

Street artist Banksy has installed a vandalised sculpture of a priest in a gallery in Liverpool.

Cardinal Sin is a bust with its face sawn off and replaced by blank tiles, designed as a response to the child abuse scandal in the Catholic church.

In a statement, Banksy said: "I'm never sure who deserves to be put on a pedestal or crushed under one."

The sculpture was unveiled at the Walker Art Gallery, where it is sitting alongside 17th Century religious art.

The bathroom tiles have been put in place of the priest's face to create a pixelated effect.

"I love everything about the Walker Gallery - the Old Masters, the contemporary art, the rude girl in the cafe. And when I found out Mr Walker built it with beer money it became my favourite gallery," said Banksy.

"The statue? I guess you could call it a Christmas present. At this time of year it's easy to forget the true meaning of Christianity - the lies, the corruption, the abuse."

The replica 18th Century bust is now in a room with an altarpiece painted for the Archbishop of Seville by the Spanish artist Murillo in 1673 and Rubens' painting The Virgin and Child with St Elizabeth and the Child Baptist.

Reyahn King, director of art galleries at National Museums Liverpool, said Banksy approached the gallery and specified that his sculpture be shown alongside the gallery's period collection.

"The sculpture very clearly contains a message," she said. "When you look at it and see the tiles that have been applied to the sawn-off face, you immediately get the impression of those pixelated images of suspected criminals you see on screen or in a newspaper photograph.

"What interests me is that when a visitor sees that, they then perhaps will look at the other paintings in the gallery and look for the less obvious messages that all artists tend to have within their work.

The gallery had no hesitation in accepting Banksy's sculpture, she added.
    'Challenging' art

"We have always shown controversial art and have works of art that were considered very controversial in their time. It's part of an artistic tradition to show art that challenges people."

Anthea Jarvis, an art expert at Liverpool's Catholic Metropolitan Cathedral said: "I don't find the work of art at all offensive, but I do find that statement offensive.

"Lies and corruption are not exclusive to the church, they're exclusive to mankind generally I'm afraid.

"But I think the comment about the bishops of the Catholic church who have covered up abuse, that is criticism which the church has to take and learn from and move on, and I think it will."

This is only the second time that the secretive artist, known for his subversive images on street walls, has created work for a gallery.

A show at the Bristol Museum and Art Gallery in 2009 attracted 300,000 people over 12 weeks.

Cardinal Sin has been loaned indefinitely by the artist to the Walker gallery.

_57349775_jex_1265738_de27-1.jpg

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Knasher

dmw07 wrote: »
    I didn't notice the people going around collecting them, i listened to it rather than watching. I thought electronic means would be the norm in these days given it was the BBC. Cheers

I saw a part of this debate on a video about Fry the other day and it definitely showed them collecting paper ballots during the question and answer section.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 383 ✭✭HUNK

Rage Quit

71DDM.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 13,002 ✭✭✭✭bnt

From Cute Overload*: O Little Town Of BethlehAAAARRRGGHH!

jesus-1693-1-_tplq.jpg
    * Yes, I subscribe to Cute Overload. You gotta problem with that? :cool:

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

robindch wrote: »
    Has this ad aired? :)

(also available as a download from here)

I saw it on TV. I really hope people dont get worked up over it. It's quite harmless.

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Tyler MacDurden

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,417 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Galvasean wrote: »
    I saw it on TV. I really hope people dont get worked up over it. It's quite harmless.
    But children could be watching -- won't somebody think of them!?!?!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,743 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Might try sneak a Caganer into our model Nativity thing at home

03-caganer-catalan-artesania-caganer-terra-i-mar.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Daemonic

But children could be watching -- won't somebody think of them!?!?!!!
    The time I saw it on TV it was after the watershed. It would be interesting to see if anyone spots it in an earlier time slot.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Both funny and repulsive all at the same time, I'm presuming the people who responded are mainly in the, we have been reading the bible so slowly that we are still in the first half with the wrathful guy in charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭18AD

Did mushroom used to mean something else? :confused:

edit: Apparently so!

mush·room
       /ˈmʌʃrum, -rʊm/ Show Spelled[muhsh-room, -room] Show IPA
    noun
    any of various fleshy fungi including the toadstools, puffballs, coral fungi, morels, etc.
    any of several edible species, especially of the family Agaricaceae, as Agaricus campestris (meadow mushroom or field mushroom), cultivated for food in the U.S.
    anything of similar shape or correspondingly rapid growth.

a large, mushroom-shaped cloud of smoke or rubble, formed in the atmosphere as a result of an explosion, especially a nuclear explosion.

adjective
    of, consisting of, or containing mushrooms: a mushroom omelet.
    resembling a mushroom in shape or form.
    of rapid growth and often brief duration: mushroom towns of the gold-rush days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭18AD

That's exactly what a mushroom secret society member would say! You must actually... could it be?... be a mushroom!

18AD wrote: »
    That's exactly what a mushroom secret society member would say! You must actually... could it be?... be a mushroom!

They're on to me!

MLPW4089.jpg&sa=X&ei=a0nvToj5L5KFhQeA1IiOBg&ved=0CAsQ8wc&usg=AFQjCNEpw3I2RKJ-ENHQIKHQ1x45S7qg7g

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭number10a

Penn wrote: »
    Might try sneak a Caganer into our model Nativity thing at home

03-caganer-catalan-artesania-caganer-terra-i-mar.jpg

Have one. Snuck it in when my mother wasn't looking. It's like the Catalan version of Where's Wally apparently. Kids visit other houses to find the caganer taking a dump in their crib.

We also have a statue of an angel with a fishing rod (:confused:) with a clothes-peg at the end. I stuck a "Will Strip 4 Food" sign on there. Hasn't been noticed yet though.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

CramCycle wrote: »
    I'm presuming the people who responded are mainly in the, we have been reading the bible so slowly that we are still in the first half with the wrathful guy in charge.
    And no doubt mouthing the words as they read.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,417 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Alert -- baby Jesus statuenapped!

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2011/1220/breaking29.html

Anybody have some Jesus toast they could lend?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Alert -- baby Jesus statuenapped!
    Local clergy are appealing for its return.
    Can't they just follow a star or something?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement