Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Funny Side of Religion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

^^ Should stick that in the competition thread

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

yoXT5.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

fJnJW.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Playing a mmorpg with a joypad?

Jesus should be 10 stone heavier and hunched over a keyboard with a mountain of empty crisp packets and red bull beside him.

Blizzard would probably ban his ass anyway for harassing the other players.

• Advertisement

Maybe he's playing Skyrim.

Everybody is playing Skyrim.

Boards is so quiet :(

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,417 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

vibe666 wrote: »
    you're only an atheist because you haven't read the right book yet
    Androgynous Jesus ftw!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

Galvasean wrote: »

was behind some woman buying a copy of it in harvey norman today (was getting a TV wall mount, otherwise i would have stayed home) and she was asking if it was pronounced skee-rim or sky-rim and it occured to me that i have no idea since nobody actually talks to anyone in the real world any more so i've no idea how it's pronounced, despite having been a pretty keen gamer up until fairly recently. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭sensibleken

Im still not quite sure what skyrim is. frankly i dont wanna know.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

qEHR6.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭sephir0th

• Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

It's a computer game. Like Pacman.

qEHR6.png
    In North Korea a few years back, I visited the Mausoleum where Kim Jong Il, the current (though dead) president of North Korea rests in state in a largish room. Exiting it, one comes into a very large hall decorated, floor, wall and ceiling, if memory serves, with white marble. In the middle of this, there's a peculiar translucent irregular block of something, perhaps six inches high and a meter or two square.

This, we were solemnly told, is the salt from the tears wept by the women of Pyongyang upon hearing of the death of the Great Leader.

I'm inclined to think that all religious people should visit the DPRK in order to see how a religion is done properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

robindch wrote: »
    In North Korea a few years back, I visited the Mausoleum where Kim Jong Il, the current (though dead) president of North Korea rests in state in a largish room. Exiting it, one comes into a very large hall decorated, floor, wall and ceiling, if memory serves, with white marble. In the middle of this, there's a peculiar translucent irregular block of something, perhaps six inches high and a meter or two square.

This, we were solemnly told, is the salt from the tears wept by the women of Pyongyang upon hearing of the death of the Great Leader.

I'm inclined to think that all religious people should visit the DPRK in order to see how a religion is done properly.

Cool, but the president of North Korea is Kim Il Sung, no?

Cool, but the president of North Korea is Kim Il Sung, no?
    Oops :o That's what happens when I'm posting here while drawing with a five-year old :)

The guy in the Mausoleum Kim Il-sung and he's the Eternal President of the DPRK and will remain so until the constitution is changed or the country collapses, whichever happens first. On KIS's death, his son, Kim Jong-il, was made Supreme Leader and commander of the nation's military, the positions his alleged son, Kim Jong-un, now occupies.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

What brought you to North Korea? They don't just hand out tourist visas do they?

What brought you to North Korea?
    Insatiable curiosity, an interest in totalitarian societies, the unmissable Mass Games, a stuffed crocodile drinks tray from Nicaragua, the threat of nuclear armageddon, the Yanggakdo Hotel (hey, my photo and glib edits are still there!) and Taedong Beer (we drank the Yanggakdo dry one evening :)). And a rickety Ilyushin Il-62.
    They don't just hand out tourist visas do they?
    Yes, they do, through several "registered" tour agencies in Peking. I went with Koryo Tours and would trust them to be able to organize a day trip to the moons of Jupiter. Our tour guide, an English guy named Simon, is almost certainly the smartest human I've met.

Here's a picture of the Mausoleum from my trip there. Incidentally, you get to the President's room via, I estimated, around one and a half kilometers of slowly-moving, horizontal escalator. In the other direction, comes an endless stream of identically-clad women (black and white trad dresses) and men (all army wear). They seemed to enjoy being waved at amiably.

186503.jpg

an interest in totalitarian societies

AHA!!!! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭el oh el

Priests have been fighting in Bethlehem inside the church of the nativity (video is at the bottom of the page, was too lazy to look for it on the guardian page)
    http://www.nrc.nl/nieuws/2011/12/28/video-priesters-op-de-vuist-in-geboortekerk-in-bethlehem/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

I assume it was you who posted about it somewhere before robindch, would love to go, think I'll leave it a few months before making enquiries though. :pac:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

I see the Big Boss man myself..

4331995247_1d02e2d32f.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

I see the Big Boss man myself..

Thanks. Now I have his theme music stuck in my head. Bad enough I can't pass a guard without thinking of it!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

It's a computer game. Like Pacman.

But with an amusing amount of religious intolerance thrown into the mix. They really went all out with the realism this time round. :pac:

el oh el wrote: »
    Priests have been fighting in Bethlehem inside the church of the nativity [...]
    Happens most years, when the orthodox, armenians, greeks, catholics etc have a right holy dust-up.

BTW, two fun facts: the keys to the church have been jointly held by two muslim families since the 12th century, since christians can't trust each other.

But the best story about the church is one about the ladder which was put up in the 1850's to do some work on a window, but the christians couldn't agree on the terms and conditions related to how to to take the ladder back down again. So the ladder's been stuck in position for the last 150-odd years.

It's all got to do with being holy and good.

amacachi wrote: »
    I assume it was you who posted about it somewhere before robindch, would love to go, think I'll leave it a few months before making enquiries though
    :) PM me if you're interested in going; it really is worth the trip, in the most bizarre sense possible.

BTW, here's the IT today on visiting Kim's Mausoleum:

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/opinion/2011/1229/1224309591622.html

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

:) PM me if you're interested in going; it really is worth the trip, in the most bizarre sense possible.

BTW, here's the IT today on visiting Kim's Mausoleum:

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/opinion/2011/1229/1224309591622.html
    It sounds like the movie Equilibrium, except without the cool Ninja Clerics.

I'd love to go, especially that hotel which looks like the most depressing place on Earth.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,002 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Saw this in a recent episode of The Big Bang Theory: Sheldon's mother (an evangelical Baptist) is visiting, so his friends take her on a tour of Hollywood ... and she wants to see Hollywood churches.

(Sheldon is not in this scene, but he is an atheist and can be quite blunt about his mother's beliefs - sometimes so blunt that I'm surprised that it's not cut out of the show to avoid offending believers. I think the show gets away with it because he has Asperger's Syndrome and is blunt about everyone and everything.)

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

What brought you to North Korea? They don't just hand out tourist visas do they?

Didn't you hear about the 4 great Atheist pilgrimages?
    Pyongyang, Moscow, Beijing, and Hitler's bunker in Berlin.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement