Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Funny Side of Religion

Options

Comments

• Moderators Posts: 51,798 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

so the guy gets married to suppress his lust for the bear? :confused::P

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

bluewolf wrote: »
    is that an actual ad or something
    omg :eek:

Some student did it to promote absinth abstinence.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Sarky wrote: »
    Don't even try to deny that Pedobear crossed your mind while watching this.

Not sure if serious :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭UDP

Ask yourself why you don't believe in all the other gods. Your answer, is why I don't believe in yours. This endeth the religious tweets.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,417 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Archbishop to Become Born-again Scientist

http://newsthump.com/2009/03/27/archbishop-to-become-born-again-scientist/
    NewsThump wrote:
    The Archbishop of Canterbury, Dr Rowan Williams, has stunned the Church of England by claiming to be a born-again scientist.

The Archbishop had warned that God will not intervene to prevent humanity from wreaking devastation on the environment, and that only science can save us now. “It appears that God doesn’t want to help us, his children. He’s happy to see them suffer a global environmental collapse. It’s almost as if He’s been reading the ‘Art of Good Parenting’ by Josef Fritzl. Or maybe He’s modelling his child care practices on Haringey Council? Let us be clear, this is no Thai massage parlour, there will be no ‘happy ending’.”

Dr Williams has been working within the church for over thirty years, but last week had a moment of blinding clarity. “I was reading this science book, and suddenly everything around me made sense,” he said. “Why should I spend a couple of hours a day talking to an invisible guy in the sky, when I know full well he’s not interesting in helping me? I could be using that time more effectively in trying to cure cancer or something. It feels like I’ve been wasting my life until this point, but finally, science has found me and welcomed me into it’s loving embrace. I’ve accepted science into my heart, and each day now has new purpose.”

Many scientific organisations have welcomed the Archbishop’s stance, but have been quick to point out that he will have to start out at the bottom of the scientific career ladder by making the tea and putting lipstick on Beagles.

• Advertisement

tumblr_lygpx5TfjO1qmmxbho1_400.jpg

tumblr_lyfpl9VVdt1r7qpeho1_400.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Sarky wrote: »
    Don't even try to deny that Pedobear crossed your mind while watching this.
    http://youtu.be/mtBTafgam7M

You gotta hand them credit where it is due. They haven't yet disabled the comments on the video. THAT is impressive.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

http://gawker.com/5879888/yes-the-romneys-converted-mitts-dead-atheist-father+in+law-to-mormonism

Gawker's substantial Mormon readership has come through for us: Two readers have sent us confirmation that Edward Davies, Mitt Romney's militantly atheist father-in-law, was indeed posthumously converted to Mormonism by his family, despite the fact that when he was alive he regarded all religions as "hogwash."
    As we mentioned yesterday, Ann Romney's Welsh-born father (who Mitt mentioned in last night's debate to shore up his pro-immigrant bona fides) was an engineer, inventor, and resolute atheist who disdained all organized religion and raised his children accordingly. Davies, his son Roderick told the Boston Globe in 2007, regarded the faithful as "weak in the knees." But when Mitt began seeing Davies' daughter Ann, the Romney family launched a concerted effort to convert not only Ann but her entire family to Mormonism. And they were wildly successful: Within a year of meeting Ann, Mitt and his father had converted all three of Edward Davies' children. Days before she died in 1993, Ann Romney's mother asked to be converted as well. Edward Davies was the only member of his clan whose soul the Romneys never claimed for their church.

Until he died. According to this entry in the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints' genealogical database, Davies was baptized as a Mormon at a "special family meeting" 14 months after his death: "All ordinances except sealing to spouse performed in Salt Lake Temple on 19 Nov 1993 in special family meeting," the entry says. (When we previously asked the church whether Davies had been baptized, a spokesperson told us that the information was available only to his family and church members. But it's apparently right there on the internet for those who know what to look for.)

According to our tipster, the "ordinances" performed on Davies' spectral remnants included the following:

[A] canonical series of rituals that Mormons undergo (in life or death) in order to qualify for admission to heaven, including baptism, confirmation, "washings and anointings," endowment, and, in the case of men, ordination to two levels of priesthood. The description seems to indicate that certain family members were present for all these rituals, in which a living male would have stood in "for and in behalf of" the late Mr. Davies.

A little under a year after the posthumous baptism, according to this entry at Ancestry.com, a Utah-based genealogical registry linked to the Mormon church, Edward Davies was "sealed" to his spouse for eternity in a ceremony that appears to have been performed in Atlanta, Ga.

Of course this is all empty superstition, as Davies realized. Being dead, he wasn't particularly in a place to care about whatever voodoo was performed in his name. But it's an exceedingly odd way for the Romney family to honor the memory of a man who was committed, for his entire life, to the notion that organized religion is a fraud.

The Mormon church has repeatedly been criticized for its practice of trawling for dead souls to convert to the faith. Catholic and Jewish organizations have expressed outrage when the names of dead popes and Holocaust victims have turned up on Mormon lists of the baptized. In 1995, the church pledged to "discontinue any future baptisms of deceased Jews" except for direct descendents of living Mormons, tacitly acknowledging that its creepy and weird to claim the souls of people who had no interest in Mormonism for their own. It's strange that the Romney and Davies families didn't accord Edward Davies' memory the same respect.

On one hand its really funny how petty things can get.

On the other hand, if relations of mine tried this with me I'd be pissed...wait I'd be dead. hmm

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

There's just something I don't know, distasteful about baptising the dead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Natural law be damned, I'd come back and give those bastards SUCH a haunting...

• Advertisement

tumblr_lyipcrbiMc1r7qpeho1_400.jpg

tumblr_lyiwl3Rx2F1r6e4yko1_500.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭sephir0th

tumblrl9ajxcmeje1qdmsah.jpg

tumblrl9cla4kpaq1qdmsah.jpg

religion-pidgeon-atheist-debate-pray-for-you.jpg

religion-pidgeon-atheist-morality-priest-rape.jpg

religion-pidgeon-bible-is-true.jpg

religion-pidgeon-stone-your-wife.jpg

tumblr_lyjve1wkOe1qfktkqo1_500.gif

tumblr_lykdunT4aL1qfj4fso1_500.jpg

didn't know what thread to put the pic below

tumblr_lykjfvtvYa1qkciluo1_500.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

Should add the word "Theory" to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭sponsoredwalk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

tumblr_li1izljk8J1qb4j6qo1_500.jpg

*Chews*

• Registered Users Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

w5QxK.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭TanG411

NVub7.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭joseph brand

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

Obviously it's just a North Korean atheist with boot polish on his face.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

YLYL:

190666.jpg

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,417 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

190703.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

not entirely funny, but i thought it was very well done. :)

2256480_460s.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Hehe, took me a while to see it! Maybe I'll get that on my forehead for Ash Tuesday.

tumblr_lymmnuJKXv1ql0yb3o1_500.jpg

tumblr_lynkfxwnn71qdzq7ho1_500.jpg

tumblr_lynhmrjj7Q1r71s6to1_1280.jpg?AWSAccessKeyId=AKIAJ6IHWSU3BX3X7X3Q&Expires=1328104415&Signature=gG2vfSEhmU3hJQWAzkyHC4tOq5k%3D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭Squarewave

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Knockin' 'em out of the park!

(Sorry, big image)

20120201.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭mehfesto

2274769_700b_v1.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,577 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

• Advertisement

If life is precious, why would you waste precious driinking time reading that beer mat?? :P

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement