Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Funny Side of Religion

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

^^ Primate of all Ireland? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭PhiloCypher

And for my next trick I'll type the complete works of Shakespeare.....

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

562067_316997338387976_224939541_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Galvasean wrote: »

In the spirit of science.:) (Hopefully some people will actually get this. )
    Gravity is concerned with physics and it works within a consistent physical framework that accurately describes reality.
    Plants are concerned with biology and they work in a consistent biological framework that accurately describes reality.

Both theories, plants and gravity, have led to pragmatic results e.g Herbal Medecine and GPS. We conclude that both theories are equally valid as long as we don't bring them into direct conflict with one another. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

Dades wrote: »
    ^^ Primate of all Ireland? :pac:

Too funny.
    One may think that you had that retort in reserve for some time, waiting for the right moment .....

• Advertisement

godfreedc.jpg

US Open 2012 - That is all. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Jernal wrote: »
    US Open 2012 - That is all. :)

???

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Real Life

Nodin wrote: »
    ???

the guy that won is a religious nut. God must have made him win.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

Real Life wrote: »
    the guy that won is a religious nut. God must have made him win.

Is he an American? - I have noticed God seems to make them win a lot. Which begs the question does God also make the lose? Either way, I think there should be mandatory testing to make sure there are no performance enhancing deities interfering in sporting occasions.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,910 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I think you'll find that golfers are the exception to the sporting bunch. While many are a firm believer in some religious one thing or the other, golfers tend to hold off and not bring it up the way other sports man do.

Nodin wrote: »
    ???

For the last (three?) holes the Champion seemed to have adopted the stance of asking Jesus to guide the ball for almost every stroke played.

Jernal wrote: »
    For the last (three?) holes the Champion seemed to have adopted the opinion that asking Jesus to guide the ball for him before almost every shot was a prerequisite.

Well really. In my book getting a supernatural entity to 'guide the ball' is just cheating.*

Does Jesus get the prize money then?

*Or would be if I believed there was such a thing as a supernatural entity available for ball guiding duty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    *Or would be if I believed there was such a thing as a supernatural entity available for ball guiding duty.

There must be. How else could christians have children?

EDIT: Oh, wait. Immaculate conceptions all round. Never mind.

• Moderators Posts: 51,798 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

tumblr_m5sbllqVyx1rt8sgdo1_500.jpg
    tumblr_m5tdpmDESU1qhgsfuo1_250.png

all hail the Cookie!! :pac:

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭fitz0

Media 'imitating Dan Brown' - Vatican

A senior Vatican official has accused the media of trying "to imitate Dan Brown" in their coverage of the so-called VatiLeaks scandal and said the Roman Catholic Church's latest travails were part of attempts to destabilise it.

The interview with Cardinal Tarcisio Bertone, who ranks second only to Pope Benedict in the Vatican's hierarchy, was the latest attempt at damage control by senior Vatican officials since the leaks scandal began in January.

In a rare interview with the Italian Catholic magazine Famiglia Cristiana, Dr Bertone, the Vatican's secretary of state, accused the media of "intentionally ignoring" the good things the church does while dwelling on scandals.

"Many journalists are playing the game of trying to imitate Dan Brown," said Dr Bertone, referring to the best-selling author of novels such as The Da Vinci Code and Angels and Demons."They (journalists) continue to invent fairytales and repeat legends."

The scandal involves the leak of sensitive documents, including letters written to Pope Benedict, whose butler Paolo Gabriel was arrested last month after a large number of stolen documents were found in his home.

Newspapers are full of "pettiness and lies", Dr Bertone claimed.

"Outside Italy people have a hard time trying to understand the vehemence of some Italian newspapers," he added.

He said the Church was "an unequivocal reference point for countless people and institutions around the world", which is why "there is an attempt to destabilise it".

Dr Bertone branded as false the image of the Vatican as a place of intrigue and power struggles. "The truth is that there is an attempt to sow division that comes from the Devil," he said.

At a briefing with the Vatican's chief spokesman, Father Federico Lombardi, an Italian reporter contested Dr Bertone's portrayal of the media, telling him that the leaks scandal started with a letter in which an archbishop complained to the pope about corruption in the Vatican.

Several leaked documents allege corruption in the Vatican's business dealings with Italian companies that were paid inflated prices for work in the Vatican, rivalries among cardinals, and clashes over the management of the Vatican bank.

Fr Lombardi said that while he did not want to make "generalised condemnations", he believed that some of the coverage of the Vatican was "not founded on objectivity".

Earlier this month, Fr Lombardi acknowledged that it would take time to restore trust within the walls of the Vatican and to heal the damage to the Church's reputation caused by the leaks scandal and the subsequent arrest of the pope's butler.

Mr Gabriele was arrested on May 23rd and has been interrogated several times by a Vatican magistrate who must decide whether he should stand trial on charges of aggravated theft.

Dr Bertone said no cardinals were suspected of involvement in the leaks scandal.He also denied allegations by Ettore Gotti Tedeschi, the former head of the Vatican bank, that he was removed because he wanted the bank, officially known as the Institute for Works of Religion (IOR), to be more transparent.

Dr Bertone repeated the Vatican's position that Mr Gotti Tedeschi left after a no-confidence vote by the bank's board because he was a divisive and inefficient manager.

Next month Moneyval, the Council of Europe's monitoring mechanism on money laundering and terrorism financing, will discuss a draft report on whether the Vatican, a sovereign city state surrounded by Rome, is complying with international standards.

The Moneyval rating and recommendations are used by other organisations, such as the OECD, which refers to it when deciding whether to place states on its so-called white list - a clean bill of health which could help the Vatican move on from a spate of scandals over the last 30 years.

Dr Bertone said the bank had been much maligned and that its board was working "to recover the esteem it deserves at the international level".

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2012/0618/breaking46.html

The irony of the bolded text is just too delicious. The Onion couldn't even write this stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭fitz0

Media 'imitating Dan Brown' - Vatican

A senior Vatican official has accused the media of trying "to imitate Dan Brown" in their coverage of the so-called VatiLeaks scandal and said the Roman Catholic Church's latest travails were part of attempts to destabilise it.

The interview with Cardinal Tarcisio Bertone, who ranks second only to Pope Benedict in the Vatican's hierarchy, was the latest attempt at damage control by senior Vatican officials since the leaks scandal began in January.

In a rare interview with the Italian Catholic magazine Famiglia Cristiana, Dr Bertone, the Vatican's secretary of state, accused the media of "intentionally ignoring" the good things the church does while dwelling on scandals.

"Many journalists are playing the game of trying to imitate Dan Brown," said Dr Bertone, referring to the best-selling author of novels such as The Da Vinci Code and Angels and Demons."They (journalists) continue to invent fairytales and repeat legends."

The scandal involves the leak of sensitive documents, including letters written to Pope Benedict, whose butler Paolo Gabriel was arrested last month after a large number of stolen documents were found in his home.

Newspapers are full of "pettiness and lies", Dr Bertone claimed.

"Outside Italy people have a hard time trying to understand the vehemence of some Italian newspapers," he added.

He said the Church was "an unequivocal reference point for countless people and institutions around the world", which is why "there is an attempt to destabilise it".

Dr Bertone branded as false the image of the Vatican as a place of intrigue and power struggles. "The truth is that there is an attempt to sow division that comes from the Devil," he said.

At a briefing with the Vatican's chief spokesman, Father Federico Lombardi, an Italian reporter contested Dr Bertone's portrayal of the media, telling him that the leaks scandal started with a letter in which an archbishop complained to the pope about corruption in the Vatican.

Several leaked documents allege corruption in the Vatican's business dealings with Italian companies that were paid inflated prices for work in the Vatican, rivalries among cardinals, and clashes over the management of the Vatican bank.

Fr Lombardi said that while he did not want to make "generalised condemnations", he believed that some of the coverage of the Vatican was "not founded on objectivity".

Earlier this month, Fr Lombardi acknowledged that it would take time to restore trust within the walls of the Vatican and to heal the damage to the Church's reputation caused by the leaks scandal and the subsequent arrest of the pope's butler.

Mr Gabriele was arrested on May 23rd and has been interrogated several times by a Vatican magistrate who must decide whether he should stand trial on charges of aggravated theft.

Dr Bertone said no cardinals were suspected of involvement in the leaks scandal.He also denied allegations by Ettore Gotti Tedeschi, the former head of the Vatican bank, that he was removed because he wanted the bank, officially known as the Institute for Works of Religion (IOR), to be more transparent.

Dr Bertone repeated the Vatican's position that Mr Gotti Tedeschi left after a no-confidence vote by the bank's board because he was a divisive and inefficient manager.

Next month Moneyval, the Council of Europe's monitoring mechanism on money laundering and terrorism financing, will discuss a draft report on whether the Vatican, a sovereign city state surrounded by Rome, is complying with international standards.

The Moneyval rating and recommendations are used by other organisations, such as the OECD, which refers to it when deciding whether to place states on its so-called white list - a clean bill of health which could help the Vatican move on from a spate of scandals over the last 30 years.

Dr Bertone said the bank had been much maligned and that its board was working "to recover the esteem it deserves at the international level".

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2012/0618/breaking46.html

The irony of the bolded text is just too delicious. The Onion couldn't even write this stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭joseph brand

"The truth is that there is an attempt to sow division that comes from the Devil," he said. [Bertone]

He's full of it.

PQ6mBPTlFEWBkwOzYqYS9w2.jpg

Does Jesus get the prize money then?

And if he does get the money, will he pay taxes on it (because HE is the church of all churches)?
    And (and) all the money better be going to charity.

6PvuQ.png

For a brief moment, did anyone else see the symbolism of the picture?
    The ape/monkey (who shares our DNA) reading the epitome of all that is not evolution!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 51,798 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

tumblr_m5uv1iQ7Kx1r7gbhio1_500.png

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

Technically not religion, but amusing none the less:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭Sofaspud

koth wrote: »
    Jesus loves me this I know

12212_jesuslovesmefacebook.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 33,737 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Blowfish wrote: »
    Technically not religion, but amusing none the less:

Trying to reconnect with old friends? WELL WITNESS THIS MAN'S AWESOME PSYCHIC ABILITIES!!!

"Have you tried Facebook?"

600487_10150970312734483_2142689705_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭mikhail

Dozens? That's rather unabitious. I've read dozens of books, and I hope to lead a long and fulfilling life as a scientist to come. Hundreds would be more accurate, even limiting it to textbooks.

mikhail wrote: »
    Dozens? That's rather unabitious. I've read dozens of books, and I hope to lead a long and fulfilling life as a scientist to come. Hundreds would be more accurate, even limiting it to textbooks.

This is true. I can read dozens (not science but history) books in a month - plus manuscript letters etc etc but I think the point remains valid.

Flaming Nora - Athiests are sooooo pedantic :P

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

hundreds or thousands might be a lot more accurate

om nom nom books

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Standman

This is true. I can read dozens (not science but history) books in a month - plus manuscript letters etc etc but I think the point remains valid.

Flaming Nora - Athiests are sooooo pedantic :P

Dozens of history books in a month? Dozens plural so that would mean at least 24 books, which is about 1.3 books per day of the month, plus manuscript letters on top of that. Wow that's impressive, I don't know how you have time to fit in anything else!

What was that you said about pedants? :p

• Advertisement

Standman wrote: »
    Dozens of history books in a month? Dozens plural so that would mean at least 24 books, which is about 1.3 books per day of the month, plus manuscript letters on top of that. Wow that's impressive, I don't know how you have time to fit in anything else!

What was that you said about pedants? :p

Did I specify the size of the books? :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement