Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Funny Side of Religion

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,417 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Vatican says that Catholic University in Peru is not Catholic enough. Strips uni of its title.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-america-18939177

Benedict XVI leaves St. Peter's Basilica on June 29, 2012 The Vatican says the Peruvian university has drifted from its Catholic roots The Vatican has stripped one of Latin America's top universities of the right to call itself Catholic or Pontifical.

It says the Pontifical Catholic University of Peru has damaged the interests of the church. The Vatican has been locked in a decades-long struggle with the institution, which it accuses of drifting from its Catholic origins.

The university in the Peruvian capital Lima has long been identified with liberal, progressive thinking. It was founded in 1917 and formally established as a Catholic institution by the Vatican in 1942.

However, the university has changed its statutes numerous times over the past few decades, angering the Catholic establishment in Rome. One aspect of the dispute is that the Vatican wants the university to give the conservative archbishop of Lima a seat on its governing board.

The university refused him a post, despite a Peruvian court having ruled in 2010 that he had the right to one. Peru's current and former presidents are both graduates of the university.

Gustavo Gutierrez, the priest considered the founder of the Liberation Theology movement, also taught there for years.[/quote]

• Moderators Posts: 51,798 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

tumblr_m7lu489QH51r7gbhio1_400.jpg

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

robindch wrote: »
    Vatican says that Catholic University in Peru is not Catholic enough. Strips uni of its title.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-america-18939177
    Jeez, a whole University can be deemed non-catholic, but try and undo what your parents did when you were an infant and church says no. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Debaptising a whole university is going to require one massive hair dryer.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

531553_3997477290537_1266130798_n.jpg

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭Wiggles88

480331_351253921618240_505335871_n.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,560 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭joseph brand

"Oh, why the pastor gotta have hisself a Mercedes?"

"Don't ask no questions!"

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

409754_412518272118719_167557671_n.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 51,798 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

How to suck at your religion (The Oatmeal)

It's quite big, so won't embed it.

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

5FU4b.jpg

Probably a repost. I don't frequent here enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭Liamario

Probably a repost. I don't frequent here enough.

yep
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=79898962&postcount=6253

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Liamario wrote: »

I am sure I have absolutely no idea what you're talking about sir.

/runs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭Liamario

/runs.

vader.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

/runs.

jumping_out_the_window-580-1.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

I am sures I haves absolutely no ideas whats you're talkings abouts sirs.

/runses.

FYP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭fitz0

/runs.

gif.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

fitz0 wrote: »
    [Image] Image of cat falling multiple floors [/Image]

That's brilliant.

So ...................... whatever happened to the cat?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,942 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

I don't want to invoke Godwin's Law, but...

Evolution is the default Gnome mail client. It comes as a dependency to ubuntu-desktop, bundled in the Ubuntu distribution. It does not bear any relation to any religious meaning.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

it's got to be a troll, it's not possible that a linux user who genuinely like that actually exists.

mooning-71155557225.jpeg

vibe666 wrote: »
    it's got to be a troll, it's not possible that a linux user who genuinely like that actually exists.

Here's a quote from the dedication in a computer programming book my dad bought:
    First and formost I want to thank God for giving me the wisdom and knowledge to share with others and for the many talents that he has blessed me with.

My brother mentioned to me (dunno where he got this from) that loads of computer programmers in the US are creationists.

http://overheadbin.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/07/24/12909862-hotel-replaces-bibles-with-fifty-shades-of-grey

The name of the local priest is unbeatable.
    MSNBC wrote:
    Bibles in nightstands are a familiar amenity for hotel guests, but travelers seeking to read their favorite verse at one establishment will be in for a big surprise. The Damson Dene Hotel, which touts itself as the perfect destination for a “peaceful break away from it all” in England’s picturesque Lake District, is making quite a noise for replacing the Bible with “Fifty Shades of Grey” in its 40 guest rooms.

The steamy novel — part of a trilogy by author E.L. James — has become a worldwide blockbuster thanks in large part to the graphic sex scenes that have its main characters engaging in bondage, sadomasochism and other exploits. Damson Dene owner Jonathan Denby, who bought the hotel from a Methodist group 10 years ago, said he had been pondering for a long time what to do with the Gideons Bibles that had been placed in the rooms by the previous proprietors.

He decided that in a modern secular society it was “wholly inappropriate” to keep a religious book in people’s private bedrooms, so the search was on for a replacement. “I was thinking originally of putting in a book by Ayn Rand — ‘Atlas Shrugged’ was my first thought,” Denby told NBC News.

“(But) because everybody is reading ‘Fifty Shades of Grey,’ we thought it would be a hospitable thing to do, to have this available for our guests, especially if some of them were a little bit shy about buying it because of its reputation.” The choice to offer “Fifty Shades of Grey” was done purely for fun and just because the novel is so popular, not for any deep philosophical reason, Denby added, noting that he himself has not read the book.

The switch was made earlier this month, prompting cheers, jeers and lots of media attention. Not surprisingly, the local vicar has been an outspoken critic. The Rev. Michael Woodcock — the parish priest at St. Mary’s Church in Crosthwaite, where the hotel is located — declined to comment for this article, but he told British media that the hotel’s decision is just a gimmick.

“It is a great shame that Bibles have been removed from rooms and very inappropriate to have been replaced by an explicit erotic novel,” Woodcock told The Westmorland Gazette. “The Bible remains a source of comfort and inspiration that many people do find helpful.” The hotel has also received plenty of public feedback criticizing the move, most of it from the United States, Denby noted. The Gideons Bible isn’t as common in England as it is in the U.S., he added.

“People in the States feel much more strongly,” he said. “We’ve had quite a few e-mails quoting the scriptures to us and suggesting that it would be a good thing to put the Bible back.” Still, most guests “have loved” discovering “Fifty Shades of Grey” in their rooms, Denby said. The hotel is also accommodating those who want to read the Bible, updating its guest handbooks to let travelers know that copies are available at the reception desk.

“We’re not disposing of the books. We’re keeping them and if people want to borrow them, then they’re very welcome to,” Denby said.

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭sephir0th

Brilliant..
    eldragon wrote:
    dont use it then

install kubuntu, which comes with konqueror.. teach your children to be warmongers

geez

• Registered Users Posts: 34,962 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

He should've asked them to cast out the daemons while he was at it...

The Dublin Airport cap is damaging the economy of Ireland as a whole, and must be scrapped forthwith.

6UzvD.jpg

• Advertisement

ysdij.png

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement