Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Funny Side of Religion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

Neilos wrote: »
    Isn't it terrible that you can't even go out and do a bit of shopping without getting preached to. Got stopped by a couple of women at the local retail park, they felt i needed to be saved!! They gave me this.

7691548610_8bcb1db824_z.jpg

7691554794_0a52d0ce75_z.jpg

They best argument they could put forward was pascal's wager. I kinda felt sorry for them but i left them with a quote from the bible that i felt was relevant.

"Timothy 2:12
    12: But I suffer not a woman to teach, nor to usurp authority over the man, but to be in silence."

I'm sure they'll be praying for my soul tonight.

Personally I'd prefer they gave me some money off coupons so I could save rather then pamphlets to save me. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Not really sure where else to put this, but I was in the UK last week, and the very few brief times I got to log on here was through my phone, whereupon all the ads had switched to Atheist dating sites, with the delicious slogan "Doing Darwin's work". I lol'd.

• Moderators Posts: 51,798 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

Greatest power is forgiveness?

Prefer what Sandman chose as the greatest power.
    Choronzon: "I am anti-life, the Beast of Judgement. I am the dark at the end of everything. The end of universes, gods, worlds … of everything. And what will you be then, Dreamlord?"
    Sandman: "I am Hope."

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

403916_482590195103015_1554402335_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭Wiggles88

539235_336240503130326_1081223607_n.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

Wiggles88 wrote: »
    539235_336240503130326_1081223607_n.jpg

I know both of those ladies on that chair.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

internet-memes-holy-leg-presses1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Fortyniner

New TV channel run exclusively by fully veiled women

http://edition.cnn.com/2012/07/31/world/africa/egypt-veiled-tv/index.html

I'm not sure if this is the right thread, but some of the opinions in the article are interesting, as are some comments.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,417 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Good heavens, how did the forum miss this story about a well-known EWTN presenter?

http://www.catholicherald.co.uk/news/2011/07/06/order-accuses-fr-corapi-of-sexual-and-financial-wrongdoing/
    Former EWTN presenter Fr John Corapi was involved in “years of cohabitation” with a former prostitute, repeated abuse of alcohol and drugs and “serious violation” of his promise of poverty, according to a fact-finding team appointed by his religious order. [...] Fr Gerard Sheehan, regional priest servant for the order, commonly known as SOLT, said in a statement: “Catholics should understand that [the order] does not consider Fr John Corapi as fit for ministry.” [...]

There was no immediate response to the announcement from Fr Corapi. The order said its three-member fact-finding team had gathered information “from Fr Corapi’s emails, various witnesses and public sources” and had concluded that the priest “Did have sexual relations and years of cohabitation (in California and Montana) with a woman known to him, when the relationship began, as a prostitute.”; “Repeatedly abused alcohol and drugs.”; “Has recently engaged in sexting activity with one or more women in Montana.”; “Holds legal title to over $1 million in real estate, numerous luxury vehicles, motorcycles, an ATV, a boat dock and several motor boats, which is a serious violation of his promise of poverty as a perpetually professed member of this society.” [...]

As the team was carrying out its work, Fr Corapi filed a civil suit against his principal accuser and then offered $100,000 for her silence, the statement said. Other key witnesses who “may have negotiated contracts … that precluded them from speaking” with the team declined to answer its questions or provide documents, it said.

robindch wrote: »
    Good heavens, how did the forum miss this story about a well-known EWTN presenter?

http://www.catholicherald.co.uk/news/2011/07/06/order-accuses-fr-corapi-of-sexual-and-financial-wrongdoing/

He really did spend 'church' money on cocaine and hookers :eek: :D. Sometime stereotypes are stereotypes because they are true.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,962 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Fortyniner wrote: »
    New TV channel run exclusively by fully veiled women.

Wouldn't it be cheaper to just set up a radio station?

The Dublin Airport cap is damaging the economy of Ireland as a whole, and must be scrapped forthwith.

ninja900 wrote: »

Comment of the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭joseph brand

Fortyniner wrote: »
    New TV channel run exclusively by fully veiled women

Muslim Mona Lisa.

Xso9h.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

ninja900 wrote: »

But then they'd be no eye-candy to look at.

Wait ......

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,417 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

robindch wrote: »
    Vatican says that Catholic University in Peru is not Catholic enough. Strips uni of its title.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-america-18939177
    Catholic University in Peru Tells Vatican To Get Stuffed.

Violence in the air as accusations of "terrorism" are thrown about and students say they're read to use violence.

Isn't catholicism wonderful?

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/08/02/world/americas/catholic-church-and-university-in-peru-fight-over-name.html
    NY Times wrote:
    LIMA, Peru — To its critics in the church, the Pontifical Catholic University of Peru is not deserving of its name. It has spurned the pontiff, they say. It is far from Roman Catholic orthodoxy, they argue. In their minds, the school ought to be called something else entirely.

“It’s false advertising,” said Fernán Altuve, a conservative legal expert who supports a recent order by the Vatican that the school change its name by eliminating references to the pope and the church. “It’s as if I sell you a bottle that says Coca-Cola but what’s inside is Pepsi.” The fight over the name of what is considered one of the top universities in South America is part of a fierce battle over academic freedom and the authority of the Vatican that is unfolding here. La Católica, as the school is known, is the alma mater of many of Peru’s elite, including President Ollanta Humala.

“I entered this school because it was the PUCP and I’m one semester away from graduating, and now my degree is going to say something other than PUCP,” said Vesna Gálvez, 25, a law student, using the school’s Spanish acronym (pronounced pook). “I know the prestige won’t change, but it’s tradition and I’d like to get what I signed up for.” The school, closely associated with the teaching of liberation theology, a movement that emphasizes Christianity’s connection to the poor, has refused to change its name or to enact other changes that would give the church more control over its operations. Officials say they are being targeted for a hostile takeover by far-right elements in the church, led by the conservative archbishop of Lima, Cardinal Juan Luis Cipriani.

“They’ve told us, ‘Hand over your money and obey,’ ” the university president, Marcial Rubio, told a gathering of students and faculty members in the school gym on Wednesday, casting the fight as a battle over the school’s valuable real estate and financial holdings. Mr. Rubio singled out a church spokesman and legal expert, the Rev. Luis Gaspar, accusing him of trying to scare students by suggesting that degrees from the school would not be valid. “Father Gaspar is a terrorist against the university,” Mr. Rubio said, to applause.

Father Gaspar called the comments hurtful. He said that if Mr. Rubio continued to resist the church’s demands, church officials would be forced to consider a range of sanctions, the most serious of which would be excommunication. “They are not currently adhering to Catholic values at that university,” Father Gaspar said. “They have shown rebelliousness to the ecclesiastical authorities, disobedience. This has caused a scandal among faithful Catholics.” In keeping with the order to change the name, Father Gaspar now refers to the school as the “ex-PUCP.”

The church says the school is under the jurisdiction of canon law, which gives church leaders the right to approve the appointment of the university president and oversee its finances. The church also says that the will of a major benefactor who died in 1944 gives it additional claim to the school’s holdings, which include a profitable shopping mall and other real estate. University officials say the school is independent. The university president is chosen by an assembly of school administrators, faculty members and students, as well as a small number of church leaders. University officials disagree with the church’s interpretation of the will, saying they alone control the school’s finances. The two sides tried to negotiate their differences, but the talks broke down.

In its latest move, the Vatican signaled that it had lost patience. In a decree signed July 11, Cardinal Tarcisio Bertone, the Vatican’s secretary of state, said the university was not being run in a way that was “compatible with the discipline and morals of the church.” As a result, the decree said, the school had lost the right to call itself pontifical or Catholic. But even if the school were to change its name, that would not be the end of the fight. Father Gaspar said the school’s land, buildings and financial resources were the property of the church and should be used for educational purposes in line with church doctrine.

“If this university is going to stop being Catholic and not fulfill its purpose, the Catholic Church has the obligation to designate that property to another Catholic university or to create a new Catholic university in Lima,” he said. The battle is a particularly vivid example of the long-running fight between the left and right within the church. The university is closely associated with liberation theology, a movement that mixes leftist politics with religion and views the Christian faith from the perspective of poor people. It encourages followers to tackle social problems in terms that opponents equate with Marxism. One of the movement’s founders, the Rev. Gustavo Gutiérrez, has taught theology at the school for many years. He also teaches at the University of Notre Dame in Indiana.

School officials say that if the church gets control, it will scrub liberation theology from the curriculum, eliminate a gender studies program that includes courses on feminism and homosexuality, and take other steps to align teaching with religious doctrine. They also predict a purge of faculty members whose views on issues like abortion, birth control or gay rights are considered incompatible with church positions.

On the other side of the spectrum is Cardinal Cipriani, a member of Opus Dei, an ultraconservative church order. Liberal Catholics here said that because liberation theology was associated early on with Peru, the country has been singled out by the Vatican, which opposes the movement. The split within the church mirrors a similar ideological divide within elite Lima society. The university is often associated with what conservatives mockingly call “caviars,” a term roughly equivalent to “limousine liberals,” meant to evoke the image of well-off leftists who maintain a comfortable lifestyle while espousing politically correct notions of equality and class consciousness.

In turn, the caviars describe the cardinal and his allies as being part of what they call the “D.B.A.,” the initials in Spanish for what amounts to stupid and thuggish right wing. The increasingly shrill standoff has many students unnerved. Sandra Ires, 19, who studies industrial engineering, said school officials were being hardheaded. “We’re a Catholic school that’s governed by Catholic laws,” she said. “If people want pluralism, they should look for it at another school.” But Gabriel Rodríguez, 19, an anthropology student, said he would transfer if the church won control.

“I don’t intend to be in a closed-minded environment,” he said. “I don’t think it would be good for my development as a person and professional.” Pepi Patrón, a university vice president, said officials at the school, which opened in 1917, would keep fighting. “They would have to use violence to get us out of here,” she said.

9FjMW.jpg

Mmm, lesbian sammich...

vu4eg.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭LittleBook

This is from 2011 so may have been posted before but I came across it looking at the photos of the gay marriages on Buzzfeed.

Apparently this guy got a tattoo on his arm quoting Leviticus 18:22 which forbids homosexuality ... but apparently Leviticus 19:28 forbids tattoos. :pac:

man-tattoos-leviticus-1822-that-forbids-homosexua-28846-1298035133-2.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Saw this over on YLYL

Mayo.jpg

They're ****ing mental.

• Advertisement

LittleBook wrote: »
    This is from 2011 so may have been posted before but I came across it looking at the photos of the gay marriages on Buzzfeed.

Apparently this guy got a tattoo on his arm quoting Leviticus 18:22 which forbids homosexuality ... but apparently Leviticus 19:28 forbids tattoos. :pac:

In every edition of the book, yes. Oh, but it's probably metaphorical, right?

Let the bodies hit the floor. Benny Hinn.

I prefer Benny Hill myself.

Gbear wrote: »
    Saw this over on YLYL

Mayo.jpg

They're ****ing mental.

Bit late in Mayo for the big drill thingy stuck in a bog :D.

Sarky wrote: »
    In every edition of the book, yes. Oh, but it's probably metaphorical, right?

Absolutely. AND that tattoo is being taken out of context.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Attabear

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    Absolutely. AND that tattoo is being taken out of context.

I think it's great that religious people get bible verse tattoos.

It enables people like me to instantly realize that I'm not going to want to talk to them without talking to them.

Saves literally seconds out of my very busy day.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

funny-God-religion-quote.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

418724_335866663167710_458425517_n.jpg

biko wrote: »
    funny-God-religion-quote.jpg

acktully the Bible distinctly says that god does kill people and I resent this inaccurate statement and demand it's retraction.

:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    acktully the Bible distinctly says that god does kill people and I resent this inaccurate statement and demand it's retraction.

:pac:

Pfft, you miss the point of this poster. It's not aimed at Christians, it's aimed at other religions where FALSE Gods and FALSE prophets are used as an excuse for death. Any time God, with a capital G (and it's "demand its retraction.", or " demand it's retracted.") kills someone, the killing is perfectly justifiable and correct. So, nothing wrong at all. Nothing! ! !:mad:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement