Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Funny Side of Religion

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

In Galway today, a Christian group were set up with huge speakers, singing and preaching and "praying for Ireland". some godless infidel heretics decide to have a little fun:

SBWt3h.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

In Galway of all places! I for one am shocked.

We are in particular need of redemption.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

6859d004-1.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭fitz0

Kivaro wrote: »
    6859d004-1.jpg
    Id just like too point out that Odin had one eye. This appears to be Thor. Just sayan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

fitz0 wrote: »
    Id just like too point out that Odin had one eye. This appears to be Thor. Just sayan.

Pfft..context...Thor...son of Odin...is...looking...for Ice Giants to slay...he can't find any . ..;):D...:D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,417 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Id just like too point out that Odin had one eye. This appears to be Thor.
    217567.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭Liamario

Before he lost his eye?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

Liamario wrote: »
    Before he lost his eye?

He's also carrying Thor's hammer Mjollnir, instead of Odin's staff. As for the eye, Odin traded it to Mimir for omniscience. He wasn't that well-known beforehand. Mimir keeps the eye at the bottom of a well.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

He's also carrying Thor's hammer Mjollnir, instead of Odin's staff. As for the eye, Odin traded it to Mimir for omniscience. He wasn't that well-known beforehand. Mimir keeps the eye at the bottom of a well.
    Norse gods are so much more badass than the eastern imports.

Was it Odin who hung himself on a tree for a few days as a sacrifice to himself, or something? I could just be misremembering American Gods.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

Before he lost his eye?

Thank you Liamario.
    Posters in here are so picky ................... always trying to be factual.

Well, let me tell you smarty-pants-fitz0 (if that's your real name), that since my post had a religious connotation, then it can be assumed that it may or may not be true.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

Thank you Liamario.

Well, let me tell you smarty-pants-fitz0 (if that's your real name), that since my post had a religious connotation, then it can be assumed that it may or may not be true.

And it has to be taken in context.

:pac:

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    And it has to be taken in context.

:pac:

Metaphorically

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Before he lost his eye?

Thank you Liamario.

Wait no that's wrong. It is most certainly true but only in a certain kind of way. You see, there are different kinds of truths some which only our immaterial soul can understand, others which we can't understand at all.They are all true though.

Jernal wrote: »
    Wait no that's wrong. It is most certainly true but only in a certain kind of way. You see, there are different kinds of truths some which only our immaterial soul can understand, others which we can't understand at all.They are all true though.

Is an immaterial soul the same as an immortal soul but not as relevant?

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    Is an immaterial soul the same as an immortal soul but not as relevant?

That's a question only John Waters can answer.

kylith wrote: »
    Norse gods are so much more badass than the eastern imports.

Was it Odin who hung himself on a tree for a few days as a sacrifice to himself, or something? I could just be misremembering American Gods.

Yup, that was Yggdrasil, the World Tree, with its roots in Hell and its branches in Heaven. I can't remember the details of the sacrifice, but I remember that there was a squirrel, Ratatosk, whose job it was to carry messages from one end of the tree to the other.

(I've always loved Norse mythology, and it's given me loads of great names for my various bits of tech.)

I've always loved Norse mythology, and it's given me loads of great names for my various bits of tech.
    I used to use organ stop names. Firstly, many of the names are as elegant as they are whimsical and secondly, because there are an awful lot of them. Had to stop when, slightly absent-mindedly, named the PC of a gay brazilian guy who used to work for me, "Fagotto" :o These days, it's usually obscure Tolkien references, or obvious names like "bob" (our build server). After some discussion over beer some years ago, my brother generally uses the names of biscuits, extending to other classes of oven-originated confectionery when his imagination fails.

/gets coat

robindch wrote: »
    I used to use organ stop names. Firstly, many of the names are as elegant as they are whimsical and secondly, because there are an awful lot of them. Had to stop when, slightly absent-mindedly, named the PC of a gay brazilian guy who used to work for me, "Fagotto" :o These days, it's usually obscure Tolkien references, or obvious names like "bob" (our build server). After some discussion over beer some years ago, my brother generally uses the names of biscuits, extending to other classes of oven-originated confectionery when his imagination fails.

/gets coat

I just enjoyed seeing the look on techie friends' faces when they encountered my old desktop PC, Hlidskjarf.

• Moderators Posts: 51,798 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

tumblr_m8us80zqXL1rt8sgdo1_500.jpg

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

Just took a glance at Conservapedia. My word.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭joseph brand

G.K. wrote: »

I'm selling some Haredi speciality glasses. A snip at 40 euro. Perfect for perusing Conservapedia, or if your other half is watching Eastenders. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭Cossax

Makes you want to smash your head on the desk, doesn't it?

As an aside, where is that "light that screen on fire" gif when you need it?

Just took a glance at Conservapedia.
    I stopped contributing years ago after somebody kept reverting my edit about gravity being just a theory since Jesus could fly.

Just checked the gravity article and I see somebody's keeping up the proud tradition there of clear explication and cogent analysis, with an subsection on "Gravitation demystified" that John Witters could have written:

http://www.conservapedia.com/Gravitation#Gravitation_demystified

• Registered Users Posts: 1,636 ✭✭✭b318isp

Is Conservapedia run by The Onion? Is it a hoax site? It's home page has this:

"the Sun is perfectly round"

The linked source only states that polar flattening is a lot less then expected: "If scaled to the size of a beach ball, it would be so round that the difference between the widest and narrow diameters would be much less than the width of a human hair." Given the size of the sun, it certainly does't mean the sun is perfectly round!

And there's me looking at NASA pictures of flares 3 times the size of the earth a little earlier.

• Moderators Posts: 51,798 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

tumblr_m92t1ltUWW1r4355oo1_400.jpg

If you can read this, you're too close!

After an elderly Scottish prelate announced that he'll stop interfering with government policy, the Daily Mash announces that Mr O'Brien will, henceforth, avoid using the letters G, A and Y:

http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/society/cardinal-stops-using-letters-g-a-and-y-2012082038481
    Daily Mash wrote:
    BRITAIN’S biggest Catholic has confirmed he will no longer use any of the letters in the word ‘gay’.

"Od will hve his revene come the d of judement"

Cardinal Keith O’Brien stressed he was embarking on the phonetic moratorium because he did not want to be ‘prt of the problem’.

His spokesman said: “Luckily ‘safe words’ include Jesus, communion, crucifix and Keith O’Brien.

“However he has had to change his job to title to ‘Crdinl’.

“Also, half the word ‘Mary’ is off limits so from now on he will refer to the Holy Mother as ‘Ethel’.

“It’s not blasphemous if it’s part of a bulwark against depravity.”

The spokesman added: “Golgotha comes out as ‘Oloth’ and Calvary is just ‘Clvr’, so Easter is going to be tricky. Especially if he’s calling it ‘Ester’.”

Cardinal O’Brien said: “Mrrie between two men is bd nd wron. Nd tht’s not just me tlkin, tht’s Od.

“I’ve hd it up to here with their K-Jell, their lether pnts nd their Lori Nor records. It’s unnturl.”

He added: “Idell I’d hve stopped usin ll the letters in ‘homosexul’ but then ou would think I’m complete luntic.”

Photograph of a notice at the entrance to the Basilica of St. Nazaire in Carcassonne

380503_4341256700060_1086726635_n.jpg

Seems the RCC didn't quite manage to kill off all those pesky Cathars :D.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,902 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

^^^^If the Doctor doesn't respect the silence, then I refuse to as well.
    BUTLER-SILENCE-31-400x321.jpg-

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭Rheo

0kdus.jpg

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement