Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Funny Side of Religion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭sponsoredwalk

muppeteer wrote: »
    pPSzj.jpg

Yoinked from Reddit

From only 5 days ago:

• Moderators Posts: 51,796 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

393280_350524128368630_342756479_n.jpg

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭yeppydeppy

Where?

Right there where I wrote it!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,417 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

http://newsthump.com/2012/09/04/our-right-to-discriminate-is-being-discriminated-against-complain-christians/
    News Thump wrote:
    Two Christians who lost their jobs as a result of discriminating against gay people, have taken their fight to the European Court of Human Rights after claiming that their right to discriminate is being discriminated against.

Gary McFarlane, who was sacked by Relate after saying he had a conscientious objection to giving advice to gay couples, insisted that people should be more tolerant of people who choose to discriminate. “My descriminatory religious beliefs should take priority over the people that I am employed to serve,” he said.

“If I don’t want to give advice to people simply because they happen to be gay then I should be allowed to discriminate against them without fear of being discriminated against. It’s completely unfair that am I being treated in the same way that I treat gay people. It’s a fundamental human right that religious people should be allowed to discriminate against anyone their old books tell them to.”

Miss Lilian Ladele, who was disciplined after she refused to conduct same-sex civil partnership ceremonies in north London, also expressed her anger at the injustice of not being able to completely ignore what her job is.

“Why should I conduct same-sex civil partnership ceremonies against my will,” she asked. “By not allowing me to discriminate against gay people I am being forced to do the job that I am paid to do.”

The National Secular Society said any ruling in favour of the group could “seriously undermine” UK equality law. “They should put themselves in the shoes of the people they have discriminated against,” said a spokesperson.
    “Claiming they are in the same boat as people who are genuinely being discriminated against is ludicrous.”

“There’s no way I’m getting into a boat with any gays,” Insisted Miss Ladele. “Yeah, and I’m definitely not wearing their shoes,” added Mr McFarlane.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 683 ✭✭✭General Relativity

robindch wrote: »
    Right to discrimnate

I don't know if I should laugh or cry :eek:...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

Hahahahaohgodit'snotasatire… :(

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,222 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Hahahahaohgodit'snotasatire… :(
    Em, it is? :P

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 3,943 ✭✭✭wonderfulname

Em, it is? :P

The facts are actually accurate, and the quotes are how I read what the pair have to say for themselves in my head.

A guy named Gary McFarlane and a woman named Lillian Ladele were both sacked for refusing to do the jobs they'd agreed to do:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/religion/7399275/Christian-registrar-denied-leave-to-appeal-gay-wedding-refusal.html
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/bristol/somerset/8651417.stm

These two, plus two others both well known to A+A regulars, are taking a case in the ECHR alleging that the UK government isn't allowing them to discriminate:

http://www.rjw.co.uk/latest-news/article/britons-launch-landmark-echr-case/3745

• Registered Users Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭Liamario

Those last few posts have changed this from being the funny side of religion to the depressing side of stupidity :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

tumblr_ma6dk6l66w1rnnx5so1_500.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭fitz0

WARSAW — With exorcism booming in Poland, Roman Catholic priests have joined forces with a publisher to launch what they claim is the world's first monthly magazine focused exclusively on chasing out the devil.

"The rise in the number or exorcists from four to more than 120 over the course of 15 years in Poland is telling," Father Aleksander Posacki, a professor of philosophy, theology and leading demonologist and exorcist told reporters in Warsaw at the Monday launch of the Egzorcysta monthly.

Ironically, he attributed the rise in demonic possessions in what remains one of Europe's most devoutly Catholic nations partly to the switch from atheist communism to free market capitalism in 1989.

"It's indirectly due to changes in the system: capitalism creates more opportunities to do business in the area of occultism. Fortune telling has even been categorised as employment for taxation," Posacki told AFP.

"If people can make money out of it, naturally it grows and its spiritual harm grows too," he said, hastening to add authentic exorcism is absolutely free of charge.

Posacki, who also serves on an international panel of expert Roman Catholic exorcists, highlighted what he termed the "helplessness of various schools of psychology and psychiatry" when confronted with extreme behaviours that conventional therapies fail to cure.

"Possession comes as a result of committing evil. Stealing, killing and other sins," he told reporters, adding that evil spirits are chased out using a guide of ritual prayers approved by Polish-born pope John Paul II in 1999.

"Our hands are full," admitted fellow exorcist and Polish Roman Catholic priest Father Andrzej Grefkowicz, revealing exorcists have a three month waiting list in the capital Warsaw.
    Priests performing exorcism also work with psychiatrists in order to avoid mistaking mental illness for possession, he said.

"I've invited psychiatrists to meetings when I've had doubts about a case and often we've both concluded the issue is mental illness, hysteria, not possession," he said.
    According to both exorcists, depictions of demonic possession in horror films are largely accurate.
    "It manifests itself in the form of screams, shouting, anger, rage -- threats are common," Posacki said.

"Manifestation in the form or levitation is less common, but does occur and we must speak about it -- I've seen it with my own eyes," he added.

With its 62-page first issue including articles titled "New Age -- the spiritual vacuum cleaner" and "Satan is real", the Egzorcysta monthly with a print-run of 15,000 by the Polwen publishers is selling for 10 zloty (2.34 euros, 3.10 dollars) per copy.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5g9mWKoAG_6Jz6455BGCzoxWplPLA?docId=CNG.ce8cdecf7232ab5eb29b9decf03ab872.4d1

It's a new progressive monthly in Poland.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭joseph brand

Tq0Wt.png

3qv1p3.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Whoa, that's creepy as f*ck.

^^^ Creepy? That's The Truth(*), dude!

(*) Unless you're referring to the creepy photo, not the creepy ideology.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

robindch wrote: »
    Former Archbishop of Canterbury Lord Carey had earlier called for judges with a "proven sensitivity and understanding of religious issues" to hear the case.
    Lord Carey said recent decisions involving Christians by the courts had used dangerous reasoning
    as opposed to what......blindly obeying a fanatical bible thumping man threatening hellfire ? :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

393937_164924403618869_112551815522795_243760_174331029_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 33,719 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Former Archbishop of Canterbury Lord Carey had earlier called for judges with a "proven sensitivity and understanding of religious issues" to hear the case.

Translation: We want people who are biased in our favour to hear the case.

• Advertisement

tumblr_ma9iwjsmy51rckmrlo1_500.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭Sin City

family-guy-touched-angel.gif

tumblr_maa1vigzRr1r98xoyo1_500.jpg

CUmKT.jpg

dmhyP.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

Not sure if this should go in this thread or Hazards of belief.

Possibly NSFW

http://www.theonion.com/articles/no-one-murdered-because-of-this-image,29553/

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

^^ I was thinking they'd pulled their punches with that image until I *understood*. :pac:

NSFW indeed!

tumblr_mabsjiw4Fh1qb0gwuo1_500.gif

220651.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

PXyI8.jpg

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement