Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Funny Side of Religion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭MrGeneric

There's a new Vice documentary about Mormons fighting Mexican drug lords. The first two parts are well worth your time. There's some crazy Mormon stuff there; particularly something called Blood Atonement, whereby someone can kill in the name of God.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ervil_LeBaron#Killings

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpIyaIHsJbc

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,417 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

MrGeneric wrote: »
    There's some crazy Mormon stuff there; particularly something called Blood Atonement, whereby someone can kill in the name of God.
    The best book I've seen on the development, ex nihilo, of the mormon religion, as well as the savage end to which it can lead some more-than-usually-derangeds, is Jon Krakauer's excellent Under the Banner of Heaven:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Under_the_Banner_of_Heaven

The violent history of the mormon religion is not really suggested by the clean-cut innocents who do the door-to-door.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,940 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Bannasidhe wrote: »

There was a documentary about it on BBC4 a while back - will probably be shown again some time.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tabloid_(film)

The Dublin Airport cap is damaging the economy of Ireland as a whole, and must be scrapped forthwith.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Jernal wrote: »
    Wait, hang on! You mean the holy underpants thing is actually serious!?:eek:
    (I'd always thought it was one of those jokes like baby eating atheists, kind of things.)
    It's almost like someone just smacked me on the face with a cold towel. :o

Yep, the holy underpants, the ostracising of people leaving the faith, the becoming a god with your own planet to rule, after you die (as long as you're not a woman).

Mormons believe some crazy ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

kylith wrote: »
    Yep, the holy underpants, the ostracising of people leaving the faith, the becoming a god with your own planet to rule, after you die (as long as you're not a woman).

Mormons believe some crazy ****.

I knew there was a reason the Osmands freaked me out.

Am amusing myself with a Romney wins - summons Batman:

'Batman, the situation is critical. What shall we use to save the city?'
    'Holy Underpants Mr President.'

:p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭Rheo

RoyReid.ca-494.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

Jesus_Calls_Peter_twitter.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Undergod

Rheo wrote: »
    Microwave set to 6:66

fry.PNG?1307468855

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭pauldla

Slightly OT perhaps, but funny nevertheless.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2012/0929/breaking20.html
    The Onion styles itself as “America’s finest news source” and yesterday its editor Will Tracy released a statement in which he said his site “freely shares content with Fars and commends the journalists at Iran’s Finest News Source on their superb reportage”.

Scissors, can you cut? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭muppeteer

tumblr_mb5dfkFEPo1rtzsg1o1_500.jpg
    Not sure if serious.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

Chief Warlock of the Wizengamot Breda O'Brien has an article in yesterday's Times. I can't bring myself to read the whole thing, but there are a couple of nice chuckles in the headline and first sentence anyway.

Cyberbullying means collapse of moral code

First sentence:
    Internet abuse is a symptom of the passing of everyday values such as kindness

Right. Before the internet, everyone held hands and skipped through the fields.

I wonder how many comments will appear before someone accuses them of cyberbullying Ms O'Brien.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

I now think there has been a collapse of everyday values such as kindness and consideration, and that internet abuse is a kind of festering outgrowth of that collapse: in other words, a symptom rather than a cause.

Yep, if theres one thing pre-internet Ireland was known for, it was kindness and consideration.

'God love that poor pregnant young wan'
    'It's awful - lets lock her up in a laundry for her own good'

Going back over 25 years, I remember hearing that one of the lads parents dissapproved of his girlfriend (all parties were about 16 at the time, I was a year younger). "why" sez I, as a more parent-friendly young one it was hard to imagine. Eventually, after being told to fuck off by most, and the vague 'his folks are holy joes', I received the answer from the horses mouth - it was because her parents were seperated.

Nodin wrote: »
    Yep, if theres one thing pre-internet Ireland was known for, it was kindness and consideration.

'God love that poor pregnant young wan'
    'It's awful - lets lock her up in a laundry for her own good'

Going back over 25 years, I remember hearing that one of the lads parents dissapproved of his girlfriend (all parties were about 16 at the time, I was a year younger). "why" sez I, as a more parent-friendly young one it was hard to imagine. Eventually, after being told to fuck off by most, and the vague 'his folks are holy joes', I received the answer from the horses mouth - it was because her parents were seperated.

Before the internet everyone cared about everyone else. Though it is off that the average height of men increased by about 5 inches in a generation, one wonders if everyone cared so much about each other that maybe the majority of the country wouldn't have be under-nourished for so long.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Before the internet everyone cared about everyone else. Though it is off that the average height of men increased by about 5 inches in a generation, one wonders if everyone cared so much about each other that maybe the majority of the country wouldn't have be under-nourished for so long.

Maybe the caring used up all their energy?

Nodin wrote: »
    Maybe the caring used up all their energy?

Yeah but it was the poor who were most under-nourished, I thought it was the upper classes who cared most about paupers' plights.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

seriously lads, the funny is all gone from this thread. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭joseph brand

Not funny, but I'm not sure which thread it belongs in.

Spot the difference.

mw0gD.jpg

wNP26.jpg

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,417 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

222615.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Allah_ wrote: »
    Absolutely hilarious collage of muslim threatening the admin of Atheist Republic facebook page. (pic too big to embed)

http://i.imgur.com/V8xuV.jpg

They seem obsessed with killing and f#cking... in that order! :eek:

• Advertisement

Cardinal Raymond Burke, who likes to stick his snout into American politics looks absolutely fabulous in red and purple. For a man who is so outspoken on the gays, he delights in wearing the most ornate dresses.

For his political views, see here.

Cardinal%252520Raymond%252520Burke2%5B1%5D.jpg

Check out this little number. A red leather hand bag would really set this off.

Burke_%2526_hat.jpg

How about this ensemble? The big hat says "look at me, I'm going places." And what about that massive dress. He could easily get a child under there. :eek:

Bishop%2Bin%2Bsilk.jpg

For more photos, and to see his ring being kissed by young men, see here.

Shamelessly stolen quote from a comment in the first link.
    Posted by John:
    While garbed to the hilt in their most sanctimonious clerical finery, these pompous peacocks seem bent on dragging what’s left of “THE Church” over the cliff and into permanent irrelevancy.

HHUQf.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

comicjesusweirdbrandnew1.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,371 ✭✭✭Obliq

Damn, wish I knew how to get photos up here. There might be an attachment, there might not. Meh.

Please work, please work....

Damn. Again.

Obliq wrote: »
    Please work, please work....

Damn. Again.

Pm'd you - ;)

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    Pm'd you - ;)

Found it! Ta much, did you get my reply, cos I seemingly can't work this site AT ALL and it won't tell me if it sent :o

Obliq wrote: »
    Found it! Ta much, did you get my reply, cos I seemingly can't work this site AT ALL and it won't tell me if it sent :o

Got it.

577003_457561304270015_2030052702_n.jpg

Yay, thanks B.

• Advertisement

549150_403684829657663_358764962_n.jpg

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement