Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Funny Side of Religion

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,417 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Christerminate?
    Not much point. Jesus has been dead for quite a while now.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Christerminate?

No! No! No!
    Sorry pet peeve on mine. But this was Xterminate! Christmas is
    [latex] Xmas[/latex]. One is "X" the other is the uppercase version of the greek letter [latex]"\chi"[/latex] or chi. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

Jernal wrote: »
    No! No! No!
    [latex]\Chi mas[/latex]. One is "X" the other is the greek letter [latex]"\Chi"[/latex].

Gotta admire that kinda passion. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

No! No! No!
    [latex] Xmas[/latex]. One is "X" the other is the uppercase version of the greek letter [latex]"\chi"[/latex] or chi. :)

I did not know that.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

http://sfdebris.com/videos/startrek/v843.asp

its a review of a star trek episode but I genuinely laughed at the impression the reviewer gave of god trying to teach science to Abraham at 9:05.

He does a better second one at the end at 12:23 when he gets to biology

• Advertisement

^^^ God in Star Trek?

231477.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    Gotta admire that kinda passion. :D

The passion of the [latex]\chi[/latex]?

Look, a latex joke! And I don't even really know anything about latex!

seamus wrote: »
    The passion of the [latex]\chi[/latex]?

Look, a latex joke! And I don't even really know anything about latex!

Hmm it's LaTeX (pronounced like Lay tech):p
    \pedant

Hmm it's LaTeX (pronounced like Lay tech):p
    \pedant

Seems like someone has poked the sleeping tiger.

:pac:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I did not know that.
    Yeah it's a greek abbreviation for christ, if you combine it with rho you get jesus christ and you combine them to make this, which you often see in school crests and people have no idea what it is.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chi_Rho
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Labarum

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

So all the christians throwing a hissy fit over Xmas have actually got it totally wrong?

Well I never.

Sarky wrote: »
    So all the christians throwing a hissy fit over Xmas have actually got it totally wrong?
    Yep. The "Xmas" abbreviation originated with christians in, if memory serves, sometime around the 15/16th centuries in the UK -- Bannasidhe? -- and has been used ever since. It's only relatively recently that they've become upset at the abbreviation they invented.

Getting upset at problems they created in the first place, now where have I heard that before..?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Yeah it's a greek abbreviation for christ, if you combine it with rho you get jesus christ and you combine them to make this, which you often see in school crests and people have no idea what it is.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chi_Rho

Bo Rai Cho?

335px-BoRaiCho.png

• Registered Users Posts: 12,998 ✭✭✭✭bnt

BTW, you don't need LaTeX to enter non-English characters. Just fire up "Character Map" on your computer, find the character, copy from there, and paste here. For example, Χ is the capital χ, not that you can tell the difference anyway ...

Unicode is great, if it works. Lots of religious symbols (☧☩☪☭☯☰☮ etc.) I managed to offend a few Americans on September 11 last year, just by posting a few characters: ✈▐▐
    :o

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

bnt wrote: »
    I managed to offend a few Americans on September 11 last year, just by posting a few characters: ✈▐▐
    :o

F*ckin' bookmarked for next year. Thanks!

robindch wrote: »
    Yep. The "Xmas" abbreviation originated with christians in, if memory serves, sometime around the 15/16th centuries in the UK -- Bannasidhe? -- and has been used ever since. It's only relatively recently that they've become upset at the abbreviation they invented.

Yup - XMAS - in use in English since mid 16th century - It grew out of the revival of Greek scholarship by English Humanists such as Thomas Moore.

X meaning 'Christ' and 'mas' from Old English (Anglalish/Engalish) for 'mass' taken from Latin Vulgate term used at the end of Mass 'Ite, missa est' (rough trans 'Go, It [the prayer] has been sent'). 'Missa' from the verb for dismissal 'messa' which came to mean Eucharistic service.

The use of X or chi - first letter of Χριστός meaning 'Christ' has been widely used by Christians for centuries. It's called a Christogram - also found in 'Xian'.

This really has made my day. I look as happy as Bernard Black here:

bnt wrote: »
    BTW, you don't need LaTeX to enter non-English characters. . .

Oh I didn't use LaTeX for non-English characters. I used it for aesthetic reasons. :D

Oh I didn't use LaTeX for non-English characters. I used it for aesthetic reasons. :D
    That's the spirit!

BTW, for any UCC peeps watching, did you know that UCC once tried to enforce LaTeX + text editor as the default word processing app, I believe, college-wide back in the early 90's? I don't know how long this brave, insane and completely doomed attempt lasted, but my brother still wets himself laughing at it.

BTW^2, around the same time, I LaTeX'd a doctoral thesis for a monastic friend of mine on John Chrysostom, an early, influential and not-always-very-pleasant, Archbishop of Byzantium. The thesis contained substantial chunks of Ancient Greek poetry and prose with full diacritical markings and was subsequently submitted to QUB who, I'm reliably informed, had never seen anything like TeX's quality before (nor, I suspect, since). I met Knuth some years later in Dublin and told him about it -- he's a fervent Lutheran -- and he was fascinated at what his near-perfect application had gotten up to. Knuth also mentioned, btw, that TeX's original line-breaking algorithms derived from earlier work he'd done on the typesetting of musical notation (like me, he's also an amateur organist). He's an interesting chap, is young Donald.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

This is interesting. I knew that symbol was a sign of christianity but never knew its origins.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

robindch wrote: »
    That's the spirit!

BTW, for any UCC peeps watching, did you know that UCC once tried to enforce LaTeX + text editor as the default word processing app, I believe, college-wide back in the early 90's? I don't know how long this brave, insane and completely doomed attempt lasted, but my brother still wets himself laughing at it.
    Last year I needed some paid version of it for a report, asked our department IT admin for a licence and he'd never heard of it...

TheChizler wrote: »
    Last year I needed some paid version of it for a report, asked our department IT admin for a licence and he'd never heard of it...

Paid? :confused::confused::confused:

There are quite a few paid-for versions of TeX that do additional front-end processing, GUI editing and so on. I've never used them, so I've no idea what they're like, but I assume there's a market for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Paid? :confused::confused::confused:
    Can't remember exactly, but my supervisor's friend had helped develop it or something, and my supervisor insisted that I use it.

• Moderators Posts: 51,792 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

tumblr_melmi0Zj381qzl4bzo1_500.gif

tumblr_mellsvCNJV1r7gbhio1_500.jpg

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,940 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

koth wrote: »
    tumblr_melmi0Zj381qzl4bzo1_500.gif

That reminds me, Moses seeing/hearing God because of a burning bush makes me wonder if that was a cannabis plant. :pac:

That reminds me, Moses seeing/hearing God because of a burning bush makes me wonder if that was a cannabis plant. :pac:

Would explain a lot about Moses - like why he was so bloody foul tempered all the time. No chocolate see. :eek:

Moses had the galloping munchies and God hadn't arranged for the Spanish to send Colombus to the America's for, like, ages and even then they had to wait for Hernán Cortés to finish implementing the genocide of bring the word of God to the Mayan/Aztec/whoever was there so he could see the potential in the cocoa bean as an essential ingredient in a hot beverage in 1528 - that's a 2,000 year wait for Moses :eek:...I'd be cranky too if I had to wait half that long for a bar of fruit and nut.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

OGFurious does some poeing.

Contradictionate. lol

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

I don't care what that clip is about I'm not clicking on it. It has a picture of some shirtless guy wearing a fitted cap on it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement