Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Funny Side of Religion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭joseph brand

I think I can make the 7pm Sunday mass, since the hangover will have subsided a little.

b5PteLm.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Jernal wrote: »
    Tbh, I never thought too deeply about it. Name the bookmark as a description of the gif and just bookmark them. Then search for them if I need them. It's quite quick. :o

fypHm2f.gif

(Ah secretly I just google them but I saw my chance to post that gif and took it)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

ShooterSF wrote: »
    http://i.imgur.com/fypHm2f.gif

(Ah secretly I just google them but I saw my chance to post that gif and took it)

Yeah but the danger then is that you get one that isn't animated and you have to waste precious time seeing if they are animated. :p
    KoolAidOhYeahman.gif
    Like so. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Jernal wrote: »
    Yeah but the danger then is that you get one that isn't animated and you have to waste precious time seeing if they are animated. :p
    KoolAidOhYeahman.gif
    Like so. :)

kramer-reaction-seinfield.gif

I never though of that. To imgur with me. (Sorry mobile users)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,707 ✭✭✭Worztron

252763.jpg

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 51,792 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

tumblr_mmc96cyfyT1snkp6fo1_1280.jpg

If you can read this, you're too close!

252771.jpg

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,417 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

A women dresses up as the pope. From the waist up anyway.

The religious find offense immediately, calling it "legally problematic and morally indefensible" and demand that the university suspend the woman (presumably from the university, and not from, say, a tree).

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/04/30/catholic-diocese-naked-student-pope-cmu-parade_n_3187020.html?utm_hp_ref=religion&ir=Religion

Here's Bertrand Russell telling Oswald Mosley where to stick it:

252793.jpg

• Moderators Posts: 51,792 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

408454_461975833890125_1825654271_n.jpg

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2013/may/08/lead-singer-heavy-metal-band-arrested

(Not sure if this is funny or a hazard!)

Well, I guess if she's dead, it means you wouldn't have to divorce her like...

• Registered Users Posts: 34,906 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

robindch wrote: »
    A women dresses up as the pope. From the waist up anyway.

Pics or GTFO

The Dublin Airport cap is damaging the economy of Ireland as a whole, and must be scrapped forthwith.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

Saw this elsewhere, tbh I'm not sure whether to put this in the hazards of belief or here:(

GXNuc9U.jpg

^^^ Hard to know whether it's as a result of christianity, or whether the islamic-controlled countries are simply not reporting AIDS, or the difference is caused by some other arab-derived sentiment. Or something else.

253099.jpg

^^^ Hard to know whether it's as a result of christianity, or whether the islamic-controlled countries are simply not reporting AIDS, or the difference is caused by some other arab-derived sentiment. Or something else.

Definately, wouldn't take that illusatration as (excuse the pun) gospel but my initial reaction to looking it was i didnt know whether to laugh or cry:(

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

freyners wrote: »
    Saw this elsewhere, tbh I'm not sure whether to put this in the hazards of belief or here:(

GXNuc9U.jpg

Hmm is it just me or are the references back to front. The aids numbers are under the Christian map and vice versa?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,876 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

BlitzKrieg wrote: »
    Hmm is it just me or are the references back to front. The aids numbers are under the Christian map and vice versa?

Nope unless you are trying to imply the little crosses on the maps signify crucifixes to mark the dead.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

GXNuc9U.jpg

I'm as anti religion as anyone but that's not fair comparison and there appears to be gerrymandering going on. Aids numbers are analysed 1. By country and 2. Just in numbers and not as a % or the population. Then religion is based 1. on random regions that don't follow any shape or countries and 2. by which is the major religion i.e. percentage.

So you could be more likely to have aids in the north but because the population is lower there aren't as many cases of it. It just complete Atheist Propaganda really.

GarIT wrote: »
    It just complete Atheist Propaganda really.
    Or, noting that atheism isn't mentioned on the poster, it could be "traditional religious", hindu or islamic propaganda too. Or something else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

I'm as anti religion as anyone but that's not fair comparison and there appears to be gerrymandering going on. Aids numbers are analysed 1. By country and 2. Just in numbers and not as a % or the population. Then religion is based 1. on random regions that don't follow any shape or countries and 2. by which is the major religion i.e. percentage.

So you could be more likely to have aids in the north but because the population is lower there aren't as many cases of it. It just complete Atheist Propaganda really.

Is it an 'atheist' poster? How do you know that? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

CramCycle wrote: »
    Nope unless you are trying to imply the little crosses on the maps signify crucifixes to mark the dead.

Hmm I guess it's odd that they list both Hinduism and traditional religions on the map yet it's pretty much stark red and muslim so why even bother.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,939 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

• Registered Users Posts: 33,702 ✭✭✭✭Penn

In fairness, considering it's just a giant poster on a brick wall, I took it to be more representative of the link between Christianity and AIDS as a result of not using condoms than anything from which any proper conclusions should be drawn

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

The Mexicans are not going to like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭joseph brand

pUQOuKx.jpg

Sorry mods for going O/T but i wanted to address this
    As i said before, I highly doubt the graph is accurate, however it does highlight an important thing. Christianity's view towards contraception is not helping matters.

Also don't take me for anti religion. Most of my family/friends have their own faith and it doesn't bother me in the slightest. If people wish to worship whatever deity they want that's fine by me and I wont try to stop them from doing so. However when a religion forces their viewpoint on others or where their stances cause pain and suffering to vunerable people or minorities, thats when I, and I'd like to think most people, have a problem

• Registered Users Posts: 3,552 ✭✭✭swampgas

From the article:
    Cardinal Ravasi said the practice was "anti-religious". "Religion celebrates life, but here you have death," he said.

Amusing for a religion whose major icon is a tortured man nailed to a cross, usually on a large scale behind the altar, and in graphic detail.

That's not worshiping death at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

Or, noting that atheism isn't mentioned on the poster, it could be "traditional religious", hindu or islamic propaganda too. Or something else.
    Bannasidhe wrote: »
    Is it an 'atheist' poster? How do you know that? :confused:

Probably jumped the gun on that, I assumed that's what it is given it's in A&A. It could be from anyone but propaganda none the less.
    Penn wrote: »
    In fairness, considering it's just a giant poster on a brick wall, I took it to be more representative of the link between Christianity and AIDS as a result of not using condoms than anything from which any proper conclusions should be drawn
    Sorry mods for going O/T but i wanted to address this
    As i said before, I highly doubt the graph is accurate, however it does highlight an important thing. Christianity's view towards contraception is not helping matters.

Also don't take me for anti religion. Most of my family/friends have their own faith and it doesn't bother me in the slightest. If people wish to worship whatever deity they want that's fine by me and I wont try to stop them from doing so. However when a religion forces their viewpoint on others or where their stances cause pain and suffering to vunerable people or minorities, thats when I, and I'd like to think most people, have a problem

I agree that it represents something rather than tries to prove it, but I don't like how it implies something by making unfair comparisons. If you want to represent a link you should do it accurately rather than trying to make it look like more of a link is there than there is.

I myself am of the view that generally religion and their rules/teachings are bad things. However, there is a claim that AIDS in Africa is not helped by the RCC/Christian(some denominations) teaching that contraception is bad/forbidden, but people forget that these religions that forbid the use of condoms also forbid sex outside of marriage, so overall the teachings of the RRC would greatly slow the spread of AIDS if they were followed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

Probably jumped the gun on that, I assumed that's what it is given it's in A&A. It could be from anyone but propaganda none the less.

I agree that it represents something rather than tries to prove it, but I don't like how it implies something by making unfair comparisons. If you want to represent a link you should do it accurately rather than trying to make it look like more of a link is there than there is.

I myself am of the view that generally religion and their rules/teachings are bad things. However, there is a claim that AIDS in Africa is not helped by the RCC/Christian(some denominations) teaching that contraception is bad/forbidden, but people forget that these religions that forbid the use of condoms also forbid sex outside of marriage, so overall the teachings of the RRC would greatly slow the spread of AIDS if they were followed.

But when you factor in how much control/influence the RCC has over health provision/health education then their anti-condom stance does have a real impact.

Don't forget, they managed to keep condoms out of Ireland for a very long time - and we were members of the E.U. and a supposed developed Western democracy.
    In 1978 the Health (Family Planning) Bill was introduced by Charles Haughey. This bill limited the provision of contraceptives to bona fide "family planning or for adequate medical reasons". A controversial part of the bill was that contraceptives could only be dispensed by a pharmacist on the presentation of a valid medical prescription from a practising doctor. It is often wrongly stated that the recipient of the prescription had to be married, but the legislation required no such terms. The reason for this compromise was the strong position of conservative elements in Irish society at the time, particularly the Roman Catholic Church which made it difficult for the government to provide for a more liberal law. Contraception was also not seen by politicians as a vote-getter at the time. Haughey famously described the 1979 Act as "an Irish solution to an Irish problem". On November 1, 1980 the Act came into operation by order of the Minister.

The Health (Family Planning) (Amendment) Act, 1985 liberalised the law by allowing condoms and spermicides to be sold to people over 18 without having to present a prescription; however sale was limited to categories of places named in the act.

The Health (Family Planning) (Amendment) Act, 1992 repealed Section 4 of the 1979 act, as amended in 1985, and continued the provision of contraceptives without prescription, allowing sale to individuals over the age of 17.

As of 2010, the 1992 Act and the Health (Family Planning) (Amendment) Act of 1993 are the main Irish legislation on contraceptive and family planning services.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Contraception_in_the_Republic_of_Ireland

In 1991. Yes, 1991.
    When condoms go on sale in Dublin's Virgin Megastore, The Irish Family Planning Association is convicted and fined. Under the law, shops are not allowed to sell condoms.
    http://www.rte.ie/tv/reelingintheyears/1991.html

One of the things I used to like to do while home from the UK in the early 80s was to go into pharmacies and brazenly openly and loudly ask for condoms...
    I was usually refused by the pharmacist citing Catholicism.

Were people having sex outside marriage at the time? Of course they bloody well were which is why they needed condoms!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement