Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Funny Side of Religion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,707 ✭✭✭Worztron

253497.gif

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

253520.gif

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Registered Users Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Ah, my apologies.

Dunno how I didn't see it. I've deleted the post anyhow.

Knex. wrote: »
    Ah, my apologies.

Dunno how I didn't see it. I've deleted the post anyhow.

No problem. I edited my post also. There are so many posts that repeats are bound to happen. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Jernal wrote: »
    Not sure where to post this but the communion thread reminded me of this.
    The following are reasons why communion is not cannibalism.

I've abridged it a tiny bit.(Every attempt has been made to fully reflect context and tone.)

Tl;dr. It's not cannibalism because cannibalisms involves eating dead people. The Eucharist is alive and divine flesh. Totally different!

Ok, this is just a random page from the web. It's possible that better defences of the Eucharist exist.
    I fecking hope so. Because that, above, is just so friggin silly.
    *snigger*
    So if I cut a bit off a live person and ate t, that wouldn't be cannibalism under the church's rules?

• Advertisement

253548.gif

253613.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

182541_575040149184193_270077335_n.png

253701.jpg

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,417 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Nothing to do with religion, but a lot to do with The New Yorker's cartoonists who seem eternally worried where the next gag will come from:

http://www.newyorker.com/online/blogs/culture/2013/05/cover-story-eureka-christoph-niemann.html

With interactive result (swipe left, swipe right) at the bottom.

• Advertisement

253761.gif

• Moderators Posts: 51,792 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

253806.jpg

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

There is a very religious couple in Arizona who run a restaurant. Things got heated on facebook after Gordon Ramsay cut filming short at their restaurant due to them being batsh1t crazy. They started ranting about how much they love God while simultaneously telling people to go fcuk themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

y1ghwRG.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

FouxDaFaFa wrote: »
    There is a very religious couple in Arizona who run a restaurant. Things got heated on facebook after Gordon Ramsay cut filming short at their restaurant due to them being batsh1t crazy. They started ranting about how much they love God while simultaneously telling people to go fcuk themselves.

Having just watched that show that woman may need professional help not a barrage of people just fuelling her paranoia to mostly amuse themselves. It's rather pathetic.:(

253880.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭LittleBook

Pope Francis elected after supernatural 'signs' in the Conclave, says Cardinal
    We were driven by the Holy Spirit to this man – he was sitting in the last corner of the Sistine Chapel: This man he is the chosen one.

I received at least two strong signs: one I can tell, the other was in the Conclave I can’t speak about – but real signs of the Lord giving me indication ‘he is the one’.

I met [some friends of mine from Latin America] outside the Basilica and I asked: ‘You have the Holy Spirit, can you give me advice for the Conclave that will start in a few hours?’

And the woman whispered in my ear ‘Bergoglio’, and it hit me really: if these people say Bergoglio, that’s an indication of the Holy Spirit.

And I’m sure many of us have received similar signs during the Conclave, it wouldn’t have been possible to have this election so soon and so rapidly.

Heh :) Although I love the fact that seemingly a woman had a hand in electing a pope.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,164 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

LittleBook wrote: »
    Heh :) Although I love the fact that seemingly a woman had a hand in electing a pope.

A Latin American woman agitating for a Latin American pope. Fancy that! A real sign from the Lord.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭LittleBook

Pherekydes wrote: »
    A Latin American woman agitating for a Latin American pope. Fancy that! A real sign from the Lord.

He comes across as so wonderfully childish and naive, I almost had to double-check that Argentina was in Latin America.

I guess the second secret sign he can't talk about was a ray of sunlight coming through a window and landing on "Bergoglio" ... ta da ... always a sure sign of the holy spirit! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

It's that kind of solid evidence that keeps the faith alive. Like when millions die but one guy miraculously survives.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

Nodin wrote: »
    It's that kind of solid evidence that keeps the faith alive. Like when millions die but one guy miraculously survives.

Or when the guy who prayed to God won the gold medal.

He comes across as so wonderfully childish and naive [...]
    Yes, he does. He made some comments during some sermon last week that could have been made by a sugared-up teenager. Certainly makes a welcome change from the dry, austere, ascetic and deeply humorless Herr Ratzinger.
    I guess the second secret sign he can't talk about was a ray of sunlight coming through a window and landing on "Bergoglio" ... ta da ... always a sure sign of the holy spirit! :)
    Wind is the usual metaphor for the holy spirit as the greek word πνεύμα means both "spirit" and "wind".

Given that, and the probability that the Sistine Chapel's windows were closed and therefore blocking out any wind, I wonder if Bergoglio's secret sign was just a massive fart, helpfully echoed around the Sistine Chapel by the corner he was sitting in and derived from the extra, speculative, helping of baked beans he'd had for breakfast that morning.

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    Or when the guy who prayed to God won the gold medal.

Marion Jones?

"Praise the Lord, I won again. God just loves a cheating ****!"

robindch wrote: »
    Wind is the usual metaphor for the holy spirit as the greek word πνεύμα means both "spirit" and "wind".

God wind = kamikaze in Japanese.

Very apt.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

Marion Jones?

"Praise the Lord, I won again. God just loves a cheating ****!"

Use of performance enhancing deities - a particular bug bear of mine. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

pBN2Eb7.jpg

• Moderators Posts: 51,792 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

:D

tumblr_mmugetrZ161raw1oio1_500.jpg

If you can read this, you're too close!

FouxDaFaFa wrote: »
    Things got heated on facebook after Gordon Ramsay cut filming short at their restaurant due to them being batsh1t crazy.
    In segment two, it seems they asked him to leave. As Jernal points out, Amy appears to have issues that are best dealt with privately.

Still, it's car-crash telly at its unhappy, unhinged and predatory finest:

http://www.ibtimes.com/kitchen-nightmare-contestants-amys-baking-company-insult-everyone-complete-online-meltdown-1259285

• Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭redfacedbear

Apparently Fabian was elected pope in 236AD after a bird landed on his head in the conclave. That was considered sufficient a sign!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

koth wrote: »
    :D

tumblr_mmugetrZ161raw1oio1_500.jpg

i usually avoid reality tv and also celebrity chefs but this weekend I saw both that episode and laughed my ass off through it and ate at jaimes italian kitchen for my sister's farewell dinner and had the 3rd best steak I ever ate.

I might need to start paying attention to these guys.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement