Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Funny Side of Religion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

These ones look nice:

cookies11.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

Or Jaffa Cakes, the only true Agnostic treat. Is it a cake or a biscuit? No one knows and no one can know.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

Or Jaffa Cakes, the only true Agnostic treat. Is it a cake or a biscuit? No one knows and no one can know.

I'm boycotting jaffa cakes because they are yukky..um Israel...yes, that's why...

As for baking them bikkies :eek: they can kiss my white atheist ass and count themselves lucky the hose doesn't reach as far as the car park (I tried) or I'd be flinging water back at them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,707 ✭✭✭Worztron

255866.gif

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭sephir0th

^^

Y5Z3A.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

Screenshot2013-04-12at83705PM_zps7146f3d2.png

255902.jpg

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,371 ✭✭✭Obliq

Which ONE?!! I'll bet it's the Kangaroo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭kiffer

Obliq wrote: »

Pfft that's the only one that's not real... Australians just made them up like drop bears and the pea soup meatpie floater.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

The kangaroo may not be mentioned in the bible - but they must have been on the ark (although admittedly it's a long hop from the red desert to the red sea), but nonetheless they must have been there. I mean how else would they be here now?
    Also what the fúck is a cockatrice? Sounds like something you'd find in a bondage dungeon!

• Advertisement

The kangaroo may not be mentioned in the bible - but they must have been on the ark (although admittedly it's a long hop from the red desert to the red sea), but nonetheless they must have been there. I mean how else would they be here now?
    Also what the fúck is a cockatrice? Sounds like something you'd find in a bondage dungeon!

The cockatrice is what you get when a toad incubates an egg laid by a Cockerel...
    It's touch turns you to stone and it's only enemy is the weasel... Everyone knows that.

kiffer wrote: »
    Pfft that's the only one that's not real... Australians just made them up like drop bears and the pea soup meatpie floater.

Huh? But drop bears are real.....I'm going to see one in November :D My fella told me. I'd say you're wrong about the pea soup meatpie floater as well - sounds like a (mmmm!) tasty meal.

Christ. Why am I going to Oz again?:confused:

The cockatrice is what you get when a toad incubates an egg laid by a Cockell...
    It's touch turns you to stone and it's only enemy is the weasel... Everyone knows that.

Wow. You're so smart :P

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

Haha I just googled it and there are actually paths in the bible that mention unicorns.. man that book never seems to be sort of BS.

• Moderators Posts: 51,792 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

we're all gonna die!! :eek::pac:

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

AstraMonti wrote: »
    Haha I just googled it and there are actually paths in the bible that mention unicorns.. man that book never seems to be sort of BS.

You think that's bullshít, you'd wanna hear the excuse this mary bird gives when she gets knocked up by some randomer. Keep reading, I won't spoil it for you:D

koth wrote: »

we're all gonna die!! :eek::pac:

WT the very F?? We're going to die first because if we don't believe in supernatural powers, how will we believe we have the strength necessary to survive?? I think that's the jist of what CNN said......

That's a news channel right? Factual much?

Wow. You're so smart :P

Not so sure about that... I mixed up it's and its twice and misspelled cockerel.
    Alternative way of getting a cockatrix is a hens egg incubated in a viper's nest...

It's basically the same as a basilisk... except they're made by a rooster incubating a snake's egg.

http://bestiary.ca/beasts/beast265.htm

Alternative way of getting a cockatrix is a hens egg incubated in a viper's nest...

It's basically the same as a basilisk... except they're made by a rooster incubating a snake's egg.

http://bestiary.ca/beasts/beast265.htm

Cool link, ta! Doesn't sound too difficult to make a cockatrix then, if it's a hen's egg. A cockerel's egg would be a lot tougher to source. Basilisk is doable too! Nice one. Off to train my rooster to sit for 3 or 4 weeks.......

Yep. No surprise that the only real one is omitted from the 'boring book of violent fairy tales' aka 'the bible' aka 'backup toilet paper'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

WT the very F?? We're going to die first because if we don't believe in supernatural powers, how will we believe we have the strength necessary to survive?? I think that's the jist of what CNN said......

That's a news channel right? Factual much?

Doesn't surprise me to be honest.

All other things being equal, if one person has an irrational belief that they'll survive they're probably more likely to survive than someone who doesn't have such a belief.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Gbear wrote: »
    Doesn't surprise me to be honest.

All other things being equal, if one person has an irrational belief that they'll survive they're probably more likely to survive than someone who doesn't have such a belief.

Unless their belief was so irrational that they thought they could survive on faith alone, as opposed to food and water. Like those cults who had so much faith in surviving the apocalypse that they decided to commit mass suicide. Ironically they were the only ones to perish...

Stolen from Koth:

tumblr_mmten7MOWQ1qz9bu3o1_500.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 3,552 ✭✭✭swampgas

Galvasean wrote: »
    Unless their belief was so irrational that they thought they could survive on faith alone, as opposed to food and water. Like those cults who had so much faith in surviving the apocalypse that they decided to commit mass suicide. Ironically they were the only ones to perish...

Or they walk into a lion's cage believing their faith will protect them. But these tend to be the lunatic fringe.

Many people can exhibit what might be called "irrational optimism" when presented with a difficult situation, or maybe you could call it "positive thinking". I would imagine that believing that you can survive is the crucial bit, if you can do that without the damaging irrationality of religion then I suspect your odds of survival might be even better than those of someone whose irrational optimism is based purely on religious belief.

Acting as though survival is possible, and trying really hard to achieve survival, is the important bit. Dropping to your knees in prayer is unlikely to be as effective.

I agree. Belief is a very important factor. Believing in yourself rather than your God though.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,417 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Australians just made them up like drop bears and the pea soup meatpie floater.
    Pea soup meatpie floater? Ok, Pete McCarthy described a Tasmanian meatpie, but one of those in pea soup?

Googled and, yes, it exists and that's its name. Funny, since us marine/boaty types use the word "floater" for something quite different.

http://www.wikihow.com/Make-a-Pie-Floater

255920.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

robindch wrote: »
    Pea soup meatpie floater? Ok, Pete McCarthy described a Tasmanian meatpie, but one of those in pea soup?

Googled and, yes, it exists and that's its name. Funny, since us marine/boaty types use the word "floater" for something quite different.

http://www.wikihow.com/Make-a-Pie-Floater

255920.jpg

Ugh - I tried one of those once. It was the same night I saw The Lions lose the Sydney test. An all round awful night.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I'd give it a try. It looks just the job for after the pub. Which, I'm guessing, is the prime time for meat pie floater sales.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

irpgyeYNIDO4Y.png

Shamelessly stolen from YLYL4

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,306 ✭✭✭✭endacl

DazMarz wrote: »
    irpgyeYNIDO4Y.png

Shamelessly stolen from YLYL4
    Football. Another weird irrational cult I just don't get...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement